The Way Of Drumming

~Neurotica

perfectly insane
Mar 27, 2006
I learn to play drums. And I've been teaching by my friends-drummers. As they were teaching me and as I've noticed from drummers of bands that I know - usually drummer plays with his hands crossed. Like right hand on the high-hat and left hand on the snare.
Now I visit musical school, and my drums teacher is about 60. He still rocks like hell though. But the only problem I've got there - he teaches me to play with my hands like they are, but not crossed. Right hand on snare, left - on high-hat. And I worry about it.
I dunno if its the matter of his old school or some other things. He told me to forget the way i used to play. He teaches me to play like that coz - he says - its more comfortable during the playing (to reach the drum that i will need at that moment), and also my left hand will be more developed with that. He teaches me to play jazz, rock, funk, pop-rock now.
And I just wanna ask you guys - how do you think, is it a normal way to play metal? Coz I really dont want to have problems with my music coz of that.

Hi again Neurotica,

playing with your arms crossed has so many disadvantages! At the moment I'm trying to unlearn playing with my hands crossed!!!

For reassurance and to have a great time too, buy yourself the DVD: Performance and Technique by Bobby Jarzombek. This guy is a fantastic metal drummer who plays with the uncrossed arms technique. You'll love it. Trust me!

Peace,
DHD

Hi DHD =)

Oh, so you think my teacher is right.
Thank you =) You gave me hope, really. Coz worry about it.
Yea, I'll try to find that DVD, thanks for advice.

And good luck in unlearning process =)

dont worry about it! whatever works and feels most comfortable!

I've been a drummer myself and I've tried both. my teacher played with the typical crossed hands and so I got to playing like that, too. I tried playing uncrossed during lessons and he just said if that feels more comfortable for me I should just do it like that

Thank you =) It made me feel much better about it
so maybe if i'll learn to play with my hands uncrossed - I will able to play with my hands crossed too, and chose what I like more. To be able to play both ways would be the best variant I guess =)

quite often what you play on cymbals is double as fast (or more) than what you play on the snare and pretty much the only occasion where most drummers play crosshanded is when using the hi-hat.
my guess is, that this playing-style became popular mainly because for most people its easier to play fast with their right hand then with the left

maybe the ideal thing would be to learn to use whatever hand fits the occassion (what your playing at the moment) best

Yes, I agree about the right hand.
And so says my teacher - that he wants me to play uncrossed hands - to avoid my left hand stay more passive.

About playing at the moment - yea, thats why it would be really better to be able to play both ways.

I can play both ways (although my left hand on the hihat is still worse then right). I started out crossed and discovered like 4 years later when I went on a music camp with school what advantages there were in playing uncrossed. So, I learnt to play both and I actually flip between crossed and uncrossed sometimes.

Owh, and you have one other advantages in being able to play both. If you're right hand gets tired (for example when you need to play a really fast pattern for a long period of time on the hihat). You can switch your hands around at give your right some rest.

What I did when I learnt to play uncrossed, at some point I actually set my kit up as if it was a left handed kit. (so hihat on the right, bassdrum left) And I played basically opposite. I most say, it's a pain. My left is still not good as a bassdrum foot (I've never played with a double pedal too). But, yeah, I ended up playing crossed again =P

Anyway, I would say just switch between crossed and uncrossed and don't only learn one.

^ Oh, yes, rest for a right hand is good, but I guess it still needs to be good-skilled to immediately change your playing from crossed to uncrossed. Maybe I'm wrong.
Hehe I cant imagine myself playing on left handed kit =) I guess I should try though
And also I cant imagine playing with 1 pedal on the bussdrum =P (I mean - I can play only one, but not all the time. Not to try double pedal is a sin imo =))
Thank you for your comment =)

I've tried playing with my hands un-crossed but I have a hell of a time with the crash. I can handle the hi-hat alright but I just can't nail the crash with my left hand yet. If I (eventually) get good enough, I might want to step out of my 'comfort zone' but until then, I'm pretty much stuck playing cross-handed (which I don't mind for now).

~Neurotica said:
Not to try double pedal is a sin imo =)

I want to try it out sometime. I really think it would add to my playing, but money doesn't grow on me so to say. =P .. And I have a few other things that I'd like to have before a double pedal, for now I can manage without. I have an electric kit now though, where I can play double pedal with the hihat. But still feels weird just because it's an hihat pedal. =\

the trick is to practice singles with the left hand. Make sure that the motion is straight up and down from the wrist. This is the only real way to get the left hand to respond like the right.

Remember this: YOU ARE ONLY AS FAST AS YOUR WEAKEST HAND!

If your right hand is faster and you are playing your fastest, then the left hand is either out of time/dragging against the tempo or is actually slowing down your playing speed without you realising it!

Playing Heavy Metal drums without either a double pedal or a 2 bass drums set-up is like trying to have sex without a hardon!!!!

Peace,
DHD

It does not matter the way you play, as long as you are comfortable with it and you can achieve your task. Keep in mind that whatever you are planning to do, just start as slow as you can so you can watch for every detail of your movement, learn how to control every step of the exercise and ''program'' the right set of muscles to do the job right. So, when you eventually need your body to respond to certain moves while playing, the right muscles will respond easily . You also, doing so, will develop independence, very necessary for more complexes exercises or performance.

Good luck and keep on hearing your teacher. And enjoy practice!!!

Base Delta Zero said:
I've tried playing with my hands un-crossed but I have a hell of a time with the crash. I can handle the hi-hat alright but I just can't nail the crash with my left hand yet. If I (eventually) get good enough, I might want to step out of my 'comfort zone' but until then, I'm pretty much stuck playing cross-handed (which I don't mind for now).

Well, if you can deal with crossed hands pretty good - keep on. And really - when you'll be skilled enough you can develope your abilities and your weak points with using to play uncrossed way. But I dunno if thats necessary, as most of best drummers play crossed, if I'm not wrong.

DuxTer said:
I want to try it out sometime. I really think it would add to my playing, but money doesn't grow on me so to say. =P .. And I have a few other things that I'd like to have before a double pedal, for now I can manage without. I have an electric kit now though, where I can play double pedal with the hihat. But still feels weird just because it's an hihat pedal. =\

Oh, yes it definitely would add drive to your playing =))) And is double pedal (cardan) expansive there? I'm about to get my own, but still have no idea how much it costs. And by the way - electronic kit. Is it good? Does worths buying? I saw a few cool examples, but ppl say that its better to get a real drum set =Р

DHD said:
the trick is to practice singles with the left hand. Make sure that the motion is straight up and down from the wrist. This is the only real way to get the left hand to respond like the right.

Remember this: YOU ARE ONLY AS FAST AS YOUR WEAKEST HAND!

If your right hand is faster and you are playing your fastest, then the left hand is either out of time/dragging against the tempo or is actually slowing down your playing speed without you realising it!

Playing Heavy Metal drums without either a double pedal or a 2 bass drums set-up is like trying to have sex without a hardon!!!!

Peace,
DHD

Yes, I practice singles with my left hand really much now. I play ride-beat a lot. With my left hand on hi-hat and triplets on snare and a lil of bassdrum. Thats usual exercise for me. And as ride-beat is kinda standarted part I mix it with snare and bassdrum, creating polyrythmic (I just fucking love it!) by Jim Chapin school. And you know what else my teacher says? - he told me that I shouldnt try to make my hands equal by they power and abilities. I still have to ask why though...

YOU ARE ONLY AS FAST AS YOUR WEAKEST HAND! this is great true words, thank you.

Hehe, yea, I agree about second pedal in bassdrum in Heavy Metal.
Last year I was on Apocalyptica concert and there was a drummer Mikko Siren with them. He is sooooo damn fast, I forgot about Apocalyptica, I was looking only at him... and hell, I've never seen a human playing like that... It seemed that he's insect, not human - so hyper. There was a LOT of bass really. And he has only 1 pedal on bassdrum. The point was that he had 2 bass toms.

Metal is Religion said:
i dont think it matters, im not a drummer, but ive noticed Gene Hogland doesnt cross over, but some really fast drummers do. check this out, i just saw it and i thought this would be an appropriate place to post it. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=678114905&n=2

Yea, some really fast drummers, and the best drummers I know play with their hands crossed. Thats why I worried. And thank you for the site adress. Its really cool =)

PDantesco said:
It does not matter the way you play, as long as you are comfortable with it and you can achieve your task. Keep in mind that whatever you are planning to do, just start as slow as you can so you can watch for every detail of your movement, learn how to control every step of the exercise and ''program'' the right set of muscles to do the job right. So, when you eventually need your body to respond to certain moves while playing, the right muscles will respond easily . You also, doing so, will develop independence, very necessary for more complexes exercises or performance.

Good luck and keep on hearing your teacher. And enjoy practice!!!

Well, to be honest I have to break my inner system and start to learn all over. Its easy to study some new things like that, but difficult to relearn myself to play uncrossed that stuff that i used to play with crossed hands. But again - its untill I'm not that good. I'm sure later it will be not a big deal for me. You are totally right about the point that I have to start very slow. Its really lets to see mistakes and control myself better.
Thank you very much =)

Amarantus said:
Once you get good enough it won't matter. You will be able to keep your counts with either hand, and still play just fine. Takes a while though.

Yea, I hope so.
I really hate counting. I'm sure that I can deal without counting too, but it comes out necessary on my stage.
Thank you

~Neurotica said:
Oh, yes it definitely would add drive to your playing =))) And is double pedal (cardan) expansive there? I'm about to get my own, but still have no idea how much it costs. And by the way - electronic kit. Is it good? Does worths buying? I saw a few cool examples, but ppl say that its better to get a real drum set =Р

Range for a double pedal is about 200-500 euro, for what I've seen in stores here. Electronic kits are awesome, but you'll need at least 1000 euro for a kit that sounds like an acoustic kit. The Roland TD12, which I have, is really amazing. An electric kit plays lighter then an acoustic, which is nice, but when you play on an acoustic again it all feels heavy and you have the feeling that you can't play as fast as on the electric. But still, nothing beats acoustic.

DuxTer said:
Range for a double pedal is about 200-500 euro, for what I've seen in stores here. Electronic kits are awesome, but you'll need at least 1000 euro for a kit that sounds like an acoustic kit. The Roland TD12, which I have, is really amazing. An electric kit plays lighter then an acoustic, which is nice, but when you play on an acoustic again it all feels heavy and you have the feeling that you can't play as fast as on the electric. But still, nothing beats acoustic.

mmm, yesterday I checked - here it costs $350-400, a good one. About electronic kit - I heard they still make pretty much of noise =) I live in apartment, so I should care about my neighboars not to end up by suicide :D, thats why it matters for me. But you're totally right, that no electronic kit can ever replace acoustic.
Hey, and tell me what you think, after you'll try to play double pedal =)

breeding death said:
I think Pete Sandoval plays like that, not sure but anyway...he rocks

yay, really? I gotta check it out :D as he really rocks =))

I've never played with my hands crossed. Right hand on snare, if my left hand is playing the high-hat, and my left hand on the snare if my right hand is playing the toms/other cymbals. It just came naturally to me.

Btw...I'm relatively new to drums...I've been practicing for about 2.5 years now, approximately 3 to 6 hours a week on an electronic Roland drum set. I have yet to play on a real acoustic set. =..(

My short-term goal is to play old-Arch Enemy/Carcass-Heartwork style. Maybe, perhaps in 3 or 4 more years, I hope to be able to keep up with Myrkskog....lol....after I get my bionic arm and leg implants!