THE WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA THREAD

I'm quite keen to see Ne Obliviscaris live, although haven't had the chance since I've been in Japan for the past while.

To say that nobody is "doing anything interesting" in Australia is a harsh call, I'm curious to know what your idea of a "half decent lineup" is... some of my favourite (and still active) Australian bands would be:

Stargazer
Portal
Astriaal (supposedly active...)
Alarum
Virgin Black
Pod People
Fuck... I'm Dead
Mournful Congregation
The Berzerker
Alchemist
Damaged (or whatever name they're under now)
Nazxul
Psycroptic (I haven't heard the new singer yet, although I dunno if I'll like him as much as Chalky)
Mindsnare (if you don't mind a bit of hardcore)

And all these bands are fairly well established, I just haven't been around to check out up-and-coming ones. Not to mention a shitload of other amazing bands who are now defunct, like Abramelin, Disembowelment, Sadistik Exekution, Ne Plus Ultra, Fallout, Dungeon, heaps others. There's still more bands in the country I'm yet to get around to checking out.

yes another good list AshDLS. i wrote mine on the spot and those were the first ones that came to my head. if i had more time i would have listed some of yours too. excellent list.

Seriously though, i am offended when someone says (sorry moonlapse) that there is no good local metal. These bands are proof of otherwise.

One of the guitarists of Astriaal is in my class. My mate's always hanging with him. They recorded their last album with Endel Rivers... I tell ya what, if there's one person in production that can be accosted of even more generic recordings than Andy Sneap, it's him.

I mean... I don't know. I've been 'in' with the local scene for years now. I do sound down here in Melbourne and as such know a few bands, and may even get some album recording work out of it later. None of the music that I've heard here interests me in the least.

Nobody is doing anything interesting like Blut Aus Nord, Emperor, Opeth etc. Even my once favourite local band, Infernal Method, were basically just a straight In Flames take-off.

They all just seem to be rehashing cookie-cutter varieties of metal, with slight variations which are negligible.

Fuck... Im dead were one of the worst bands I've ever seen live. Portal was okay... definitely the best opening act I've seen, but still nothing to get my panties in a twist over. Psycroptic never did it for me. Heard snippets of the new album.. sounds exactly like the older stuff. That other band starting with 'B'... I keep forgetting...they got sort of big in the states. Their bass player used to live with my guitar teacher. They sucked majorly. Virgin Black was a snoozefest.

I stand by my claim that nothing I've heard down under, in the metal genre, has interested me all that much. But then again I can apply that for metal around the world too. There is very few bands that are doing anything worthwhile in the genre these days.

i will once again disagree with that. please listen to the bands on the two lists that u havent yet heard. even if you dont like any of them, please dont give up on the local scene.

If anyone's responsible for a generic sound it'd be Peter Tagtgren... at least Andy Sneap can pull out something with guts like Iron Monkey, heh.

Anyway, it all depends on what your definition of "interesting" is... I mean, Emperor (for example) released some great stuff but nothing so remarkable that it puts them in a unique position. On a conceptual and musical level I'd say bands like Stargazer and Portal have done more to stand out from the crowd, as Sadistik Exekution, Bestial Warlust did in their time. And Infernal Method were about 5 years late with jumping on that melodic-death bandwagon, heh.

I've never been let down by a FID live show. Fucking hilarious. Virgin Black mightn't be much to look onstage at but they're incredible songwriters, even Mikael thought they were a brilliant support band. Er... although I can't think of an Australian band beginning with 'B' that make it big in the US. You mean Blood Duster? Beanflipper? (The latter are still kicking arse...)

Just gotta dig a little deeper, both home and abroad... I think there's a gig called Evil Invaders Fest happening soon in Melbourne, it looks to have a fucking great lineup.

blackwaterpark_ said:
i didn't realise that damaged are still playing... even if under a different title. does anyone know what name they go by now?

Er, who knows... there's more drama with that bloody band that a season of Home And Away. It seems there's no Hilly in the group, just Skitz and Jamie and whoever they've found to play guitar and bass (and as usual, they seem to be having trouble holding on to members)... Jamie's been posting updates on another message board but shit changes so often I don't know what's happening. I think he last mentioned they're changing the name to Terrorust or something. Christ, I dunno. :p Maybe you can contact them through www.damaged.ws ...?

I forgot, I ran into the singer from Cog at the Sydney show. I knew it was him cos of his gay moustache.

Also, I sort of agree with Moonlapse. There is a fair amount of average boring music out in the Aussie local metal scene. I disagree in regards to Psycroptic though. And Infernal Method didn't really sound heaps like In Flames back in their early days.

So how are Blood duster considered in the metal scene?

I saw them last year in hobart, I have their CDs but the hobart gig was at a shitty venue and they were all off their heads on speed or something and I was less than impressed.

I went to both Melbourne Opeth gigs and got to talk and drink with the band afterwards at a dingy little bar, great bunch of down to earth blokes. Funnily enough they all agreed the 1st vic show was the better one as I did also from the crowd perspective.

AshDLS said:
I'm quite keen to see Ne Obliviscaris live, although haven't had the chance since I've been in Japan for the past while.

To say that nobody is "doing anything interesting" in Australia is a harsh call, I'm curious to know what your idea of a "half decent lineup" is... some of my favourite (and still active) Australian bands would be:

Stargazer
Portal
Astriaal (supposedly active...)
Alarum
Virgin Black
Pod People
Fuck... I'm Dead
Mournful Congregation
The Berzerker
Alchemist
Damaged (or whatever name they're under now)
Nazxul
Psycroptic (I haven't heard the new singer yet, although I dunno if I'll like him as much as Chalky)
Mindsnare (if you don't mind a bit of hardcore)

And all these bands are fairly well established, I just haven't been around to check out up-and-coming ones. Not to mention a shitload of other amazing bands who are now defunct, like Abramelin, Disembowelment, Sadistik Exekution, Ne Plus Ultra, Fallout, Dungeon, heaps others. There's still more bands in the country I'm yet to get around to checking out.

Stargazer, fuck yeh man :kickass:

Daters said:
So how are Blood duster considered in the metal scene?

I saw them last year in hobart, I have their CDs but the hobart gig was at a shitty venue and they were all off their heads on speed or something and I was less than impressed.

Even though they're always joking around I don't think anyone takes them seriously anymore, so to speak. As you can probably tell from the CDs the newer stuff is more influenced by straight-out rock... which in itself isn't a bad thing but doesn't stack up at all compared to the old groove-grind stuff. I hope they still "have it" at live shows, though... haven't seen them for a long time.

Pethical said:
Are you guys kidding, a good 3/4 of the shows i go to are locals.

Moonlapse, Ne Obliviscaris. please.

Chomps - Recommendations?

NE OBLIVISCARIS
Alarum
Transcending Mortality
Alchemist
Lord
Pathogen
Vesper's Descent
Sakkuth
Psycroptic
Praetorian