THE WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA THREAD

ok for those that i spoke to tonight, which is a lot of people from the forums, then you will know how i exactly felt about tonight. let me just say this. last night (melbourne 2) was the greatest night of my life and tonight, althought it was good of course, just wasn't the same. setlist was the same as melb 1/other gigs, although closure and white cluster went off more than the other shows it just didnt match melbourne 2, which will be incredibly hard to beat as the best gig of my life in every single aspect. sydney was a great night and i had a lot of fun, especially talking to all the forum goer's and showing them my photos from melbourne!!!

all round the best week of my life, 5 gigs in 4 days (i also went to ne obliviscaris/kania etc. gig on sat night and some random metalcore gig on the sunday aternoon) and all round excellence across the board. many thanks to the mighty peth for once again confirming why they are the greatest band in the world and you forum goer's everywhere. you guys are FUCKING CHAMPS!!!!!

Absolutely top gig tonight in Sydney.... no need to say thanks, but thanks again to the lads for it. The venue was better than expected but the mixing on the support band was shithouse, and personally they did nothing for me but it gave me time to drink instead.

Not a bad set list, as said previously same as Melbourne but this was my only Opeth gig for the year so it was great anyway. I think the merchandise prices got bumped up from the Perth/WA gig from what my mate told me but it doesn't really matter - my hoodie is surprisingly warm... no complaints I promise! :)

Thanks for not slipping into a night of just Damnation styled melodies & instead thumping out some old and new tracks. Pretty rare that a band can cover most things and I honestly feel the guys did.

From one happy Opeth fan at 2:47am, thankyou..... thankyou a lot, and get your asses back here the same time next year.

If the definition of a good gig is two hours going by in a flash ("wot, it's over already?") then last night's Big Top gig in Sydney was one of the best ever. I knew most of the songs and Deliverance was the best choice for a closer. Glad they played Baying of the Hounds. Sound was great, although a little kick-drum heavy (I was in the balcony so ...), lighting fabulous and the tightness and punch of the performance were ... well, what you'd expect from Opeth! MA's drollery is the perfect antidote to the usual rock posturing which he sent up brilliantly at times. All in all, 10 out of 10 and money very well spent. Now to get the few albums I don't have!

Sydney Setlist:

Ghost of Perdition
White Cluster
Amen Corner
Baying of the Hounds
Closure
Under the Weeping Moon
Grand Conjuration
Leper Affinity

Encore:
Soldier of Fortune
Deliverance

I think I might have missed some.

Hey all.

Danny from Melbourne here.

Moonlapse, that was me with ze camera. I got some nice shots, especially where I was standing. I couldn't get hold of a photography pass, which made photographing a bitch. Most of the time I had to shoot on 5-20/100. At those shutter speeds, it's impossible to get a focused shot, also light was difficult to work with, as Nightischer said. I'm planning on posting the photos, just have to chuck on some watermarks first ;)

Hey dude. Was it you who got the shot of me and Peter in front of the car they were all piling into?

I haven't got much to say that hasn't already been covered about the Sydney gig. It was a great night out (although fucking cold in that queue out the front for nearly 2 hours!). I can't stress enough how damn good Mike's voice was last night. It sounded absolutely stunning. Thanks for a great show guys!

Here's to next time when we get to hear Black Rose, The Night and the Silent Water, Moonlapse and Face of Melinda ;)

last night's gig at sydney was AMAZING!!! went to the city and hung out with a heao of mates from uni and the megadeth forums!!! was in the 'pit' or rather, a really big crush/washing maching up until the end of the baying of the hounds, then i had enough... 3 litres of goon and a couple of beers prior to the show didnt help the situation at all. then i was just hanging around the back... tried to get back up front, but noone was lettin me in so i gave up.

i have to say the sound was awesome throughout the whole venue. and Mikael is a funny bastard. "ive been fucking in your country" lol

um yeah, so i was the guy with the opeth shirt... :| and the goon bag...

WOW! last nights gig in Sydney was awesome, and damn I hope someone records Soldier of Fortune on this tour! :) Mik's voice was ON for sure last night, and he seemed to be a little horny....... 3000 people!!! (according to the man himself) My ears are slowly recovering.

That's me! And yeah, he did. Two cunts jumped him in the street on the way home. He charged them and they got arrested which was awesome.

Anyway, back on topic. Opeth were AWESOME the other night. Did you know that? There's a pic of me, some other forum goons and Mike a few pages back. I even got the band to sign my sock (but I didn't get to touch Mike's hair hehe :p)

How good was Soldier Of Fortune?!
Have they been playing that one much or are we special here in Sydney?

I was happy with the setlist, nice 'n heavy. I'm sort of happy they didn't finish with Demon as they usually do.

Great night, just wish the dicks behind me would have stopped talking for at least 5 minutes. Grrrr.

chomps said:
That's me! And yeah, he did. Two cunts jumped him in the street on the way home. He charged them and they got arrested which was awesome.

Anyway, back on topic. Opeth were AWESOME the other night. Did you know that? There's a pic of me, some other forum goons and Mike a few pages back. I even got the band to sign my sock (but I didn't get to touch Mike's hair hehe :p)

shit eh :erk: hahahahahahha you should have!!!! (touched mikes hair that is)

we were hanging around Town Hall waiting for one of my mates from uni to get there. he was late so we go fuck this and jumped on a train. as soon as i do, he rings me and tells me he Just Met Akerfeldt at Utopia!!! apaprently Akerfeldt was looking at Beatles records and shit :lol:

funny thing was, my mate dressed up like a golfer to be different and apparently Mike was all like "uhh hi" and his bro, who looks like a normal metalhead came up and Mike was all "hi how are ya" or whatever :lol: i dunno i could have that story entirely wrong. but the point is, i missed out on meeting mike :erk: