THE WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA THREAD

review time.

Pethical and I flew down to Melb last wk (from Syd). We first met Peter and 2 of his mates walking along Flinders street as we were the first waiting outside the door at 4pm before the first show. Peter initially resisted a photo, saying how he had to go to the soundcheck, but Pethical demanded: "Negative! I need a photo! NOW!" This was great to meet Peter for the second time in my life. We were first at the door and front of the mosh infront of Mikael. We wrote WHEN on the back of the eternal setlist, and held that up before the amen corner, to which Mikael replied: "now." The first show went off, Lepper Affinity/Under the weeping moon/Closure being the highlights. Jebuz, full respect to getting up the very front, you got smashed up good, and for a little fella like you, muchos respect.
DAY2
The second show was fucking insane. it DESTROYED the previous night. Setlist changes of moonlapse vertigo, creedence, NIGHT AND FUCKING SILENT WATER, and the addition of demon were great. Did i mention NIGHT AND SILENT WATER, holy fuck, they'd only ever played this 3 times. When Mikael thanked those who went to both Melbourne shows, and asked who was going to tomorrow's Sydney gig, I don't think he expected the screams of Pethical and myself in reply.
...We then waited along with Moonlapse and a bunch of you other forum posters around the side for the band to egress. This was a 2hour wait until 1:30 in the morning, but we finally saw them emerge. They were swamped with about 20 of us, signing posters and exchanging words.
I'm sitting at home in Sydney, i think i'll have a 2hour power-nap, before I head out again, me and the mates will be taking a boat to Luna Park for tonight's gig. I can only hope for more variation in tonight's setlist.
Here are some snaps,
The forum boys/hardcore fans:
11400312071.jpg

Mikael with Moonlapse, Pethical, Myself and more:
11400303683.jpg

Mikael with Pethical, Myself, and Olly (the 3 men from Sydney):
11400332728.jpg

Moonlapse said:
Ghost of Perdition
Moonlapse Vertigo (FUCING!!!??? it sounded amazing... )
Credence
Baying of the Hounds
Closure
The Night and the Silent Water
The Grand Conjuration
The Leper Affinity
Deliverance
Demont of the Fall

Uhg. Needs more cowbell. And Twilight.

Any cunts at the Brissie show, come say g'day. You might get a 'zine out of it (if you shout me a beer).

Nooooo, Joel I can't see the photos.

Haha I have fond memories of you mobbing Mike, practically worshipping him for playing TNATSW. 'I need to change my pants man, I lost multiple loads'. He seemed in a pretty cheerful mood though. I think Joao was right when he said he was high as a kite.

my bootleg turned out MUCH Better than i expected, only audio for the second show but sounds really good for a bootleg. ill try and find a way for converting it to an mp3 from an mpeg and see what i can do about posting, they are huge files, 200 megs per song.

in the next few days ill post lots of snaps too, and im printing off some and bringing them to the gig tonight to show u sydneysiders!

Holy shit, somebody better be bootlegging Moonlapse Vertigo before I let the shit hit the fence! That was the song that got me into Opeth in the first place.

Must've been a blast to see that Moonlapse!

In regards to anyone wanting some vids from the show, I recorded the whole thing ;) So stay tuned and I'll get the bootlegs up within the next couple of days. Moonlapse Vertigo is fucking superb, and all the recordings are pretty decent quality too, a lot better than most bootlegs I've seen for Opeth anyway.

I also managed to capture when Mike and the boys started to play FoM, then stopped. What a tease!!! At least I got it on tape ;)

Looking forward to your bootleg ditch. I'll hassle Pethical to upload his aswell, he's fimling 3 shows.

zep-head said:
review time.

Pethical and I flew down to Melb last wk (from Syd). We first met Peter and 2 of his mates walking along Flinders street as we were the first waiting outside the door at 4pm before the first show. Peter initially resisted a photo, saying how he had to go to the soundcheck, but Pethical demanded: "Negative! I need a photo! NOW!" This was great to meet Peter for the second time in my life. We were first at the door and front of the mosh infront of Mikael. We wrote WHEN on the back of the eternal setlist, and held that up before the amen corner, to which Mikael replied: "now." The first show went off, Lepper Affinity/Under the weeping moon/Closure being the highlights. Jebuz, full respect to getting up the very front, you got smashed up good, and for a little fella like you, muchos respect.
DAY2
The second show was fucking insane. it DESTROYED the previous night. Setlist changes of moonlapse vertigo, creedence, NIGHT AND FUCKING SILENT WATER, and the addition of demon were great. Did i mention NIGHT AND SILENT WATER, holy fuck, they'd only ever played this 3 times. When Mikael thanked those who went to both Melbourne shows, and asked who was going to tomorrow's Sydney gig, I don't think he expected the screams of Pethical and myself in reply.
...We then waited along with Moonlapse and a bunch of you other forum posters around the side for the band to egress. This was a 2hour wait until 1:30 in the morning, but we finally saw them emerge. They were swamped with about 20 of us, signing posters and exchanging words.
I'm sitting at home in Sydney, i think i'll have a 2hour power-nap, before I head out again, me and the mates will be taking a boat to Luna Park for tonight's gig. I can only hope for more variation in tonight's setlist.
Here are some snaps,
The forum boys/hardcore fans:
11400312071.jpg

Mikael with Moonlapse, Pethical, Myself and more:
11400303683.jpg

Mikael with Pethical, Myself, and Olly (the 3 men from Sydney):
11400332728.jpg

jesus christ that one guy has a tounge like a fucking lizard

It was indeed an amazing night! I sat in a booth with Pethical and his mates from Sydney, which was definately one of the best seats in the house. I'm pissed off that i couldnt hang around afterwards though, sounds like you all who stayed back had a ball. I still cant believe they played TNATSW and Moonlapse, just an excellent night. Rock Fucking On!! :headbang:

If you guys ever read this thanks again for an awesome night, I look forward to the next time I can have another few coldies with you all...You all fucking rock!!! :kickass:
What a great bunch of down to earth friendly blokes.

Sunday nights set was pretty mediocre. I left feeling a bit disappointed, but Monday's set list was killer! The whole day was chock-full of 100% complete awesomeness.

I got to meet the band before they went in for a sound check (except Per who apparently was already inside) and they signed my sock! I didn't have anything else for them to sign...
Went to the pub and met some dude there who turned out to be Johnnysdead from the forums which rocked. Pethical was running around everywhere looking for Moonlapse which was pretty funny...I think moony got weirded out by his almost celebrity status at the gig hehe..
TNATSW was probably THE BEST song I've seen live. Ever. It was fucking awesome, so thanks to Opeth for sharing that one with us. Mike was as funny as ever, and waiting around for a little over an hour to meet the band was well worth it. Thanks to whoever posted the pic of us forum guys with mike, and the larger group shot.

Damn it those pics are making me jealous :(
I had no-one to go with at the first night, trying to round up some doods from the forums but didn't know anything about where to meet or what you all looked like. Also couldn't hang around at the end of that night, had to head home.

As far as the second night, I got my girlfriend to come, and she couldn't be fucked to hang around either so again, had to leave.

Shame no pics with Mike :(

OK, Pethical just dropped me home from Syd gig. Another top night, my 3rd and final peth gig of 2006, all over. Setlist was exactly the same as Melbourne 1. I was hoping for some variation, but this was not provided. Nevertheless, an excellent gig, and weeping moon/lepper went off once again. Thanks to Opeth for 3 incredible nights in a row, and great to meet you boys. Also, a quote from tonight's gig. Mike: "You know I love Australia. I had my honeymoon here. That means..I been fucking in your country. and..blowjobs in your country."
OpethNZ, that lizard guy is me.

Let me also say thanks to all of you who posted in this thread, and kept the Australian tour thread strong. It's been an excellent tour so far, and it aint over yet. I'll leave it for Pethical to compare Syd and Melb gigs.