THE WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA THREAD

Holy shit only like 3 more hours. This is gonna be great. I know this is pretty late notice but is anyone hitting up drinks somewhere b4 hand? I'm heading in by myself (lame) but I got my gf coming to the monday night show :p

So reply if anyone is still having drinks b4 hand.

Cheers.

CANT WAIT

Anyone know if they guys are doing an in store at Utopia (Sydney) or somewhere else? I've got Tuesday off work (well, I guess everyone does) and so I can actually get there to get something signed.

Cheers,
Jaxe

Thats an interesting point. I am going to check that up on the utopia site right now.

Here's a video for you guys... a minute from the closing of the first gig here in Melbourne. After realizing all my still shots blew nuts I decided to capture some motion on my photo camera. The venue was damn good, and I look forward to going again tomorrow.

http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/230406/1145804720/100_0954.MOV

And Mike if you're reading this thread... yes it was us calling out for Blackwater Park as encore, and yes... you should play it... :loco:

ok dudes, review time

ROUND ONE COMPLETE

Absolutely magical, a great evening to start off the three day festivities. got there at 4pm and was the fucking first person there!!! everyone who had gotten there earlier had left and come back later. had a good chat to a lot of ppl near the front which was also good fun. Was the first person through the door at 745/8 ish and the security guys were really cool too, letting me run to the front, film the whole show, take photos and were generally very cooperative and helpful. good to see

the eternal were quite good, the best time that ive seen them. started off really strongly, their first two songs were excellent but the rest of the set was a bit average besides the very cool drum solo, good to see that they are playing all their heaviest/doomiest material

opeth was the exact same set as perth and adelaide but tomorrow mikael promised some variety so hopefully we get when. me and my mates were shouting when and showing the banner we made and michael answered "now" :) closure was incredible, the highlight of the evening, very different to the album and breathtaking. under the weeping moon and the leper affinity were also highlights.

overall a great show, bootleg didnt turn out great as i was crushed the whole time and cut my lip open when a crowdsurfer landed on my head, but ill live, itll take more than that to get me not to go see peth twicemore.

looking forward to the variety tomorrow!!!! will post review, of course!

:O

I just came home from the first Opeth show in Melbourne.
It was awesome. The security guards were fuckheads though. Kept pretending to play guitars and posing with the devily hand sign like try hard image metal people. Incredibly immature and kinda insulting.
And these people behind me were trying to punch me and pulled my hair. I don't know why. I used to think Opeth fans were all good.

But I got front row, and exactly middle stage. Which was awesome.

Right when the best part of The Leper Affinity, a security guard jumped up to grab a crowd surfer and left his crotch lingering around my face for 100% too long.

Other than that. The music. Was great. As expected. I'm glad they played Under The Weeping Moon and The Leper Affinity.

They said that the playlist will be slightly different tomorrow night (Monday), which will be interesting to see which tracks fall and which ones fill their places.

The reason I hung round back this time is becuase I just didn't want to deal with that shit anymore. I'm glad you guys got your money's worth though. Suppose we're up for another round later on today then eh.

Pethical said:
dude, u are a strong motherfucker!!! those guys were nailing you and you resisted like a pro! well done!

Haha thanks man! 'twas the power that Opeth gave me. :kickass:

You did pretty well holding that camera for the whole night. :)

Moonlapse said:
The reason I hung round back this time is becuase I just didn't want to deal with that shit anymore. I'm glad you guys got your money's worth though. Suppose we're up for another round later on today then eh.

Yeah I think I'm going to sit in one of those booths tonight. I heard from some friends that it sounded really good from back there. Up the front it was kinda unbalanced, needed louder vocals, couldn't really hear Peter. But it was great being so close to them. Obsessed as I am.

Sounds cool, thanks for reviews.
Anybody up to date on the Utopia business yet? I e-mailed them a few weeks back but got no reply.

What can I say...

The venue, amazing perfect for the moodyness of closure, baying and under the....

The crowd. Good compared to NZ, lost more pushing and shit in NZ. People went fucking nuts during Leper and Deliverance.

Highlight Amen Corner or Baying, fucking amazing.

Cant wait to do it all again tomorrow night, im gonna take my camera this time and try and get some shots.

Did anyone hand around and meet the guys after? Where did you do that?

i was in utopia on saturday and there were no flyers or anything like that lying around which there normally are if a band does a signing there, unfortunately

heavily doubt there will be a signing unfortunately. i did meet peter when i was waiting at the door yesterday at 4, i got some photos taken (he had his eyes closed though!!) and asked him to play when, he said they'd think about it, then i asked why they dont play demon anymore and he said "we have too many songs" lol shocker, we may get it tonight due to the promised variation

Ok fan-fucking-tastic show. Was so fucking good to finally see the guys play with my own eyes. Killer.

Only a few complaints:
1. People in mosh pits complaining about being pushed around. It's a fucking moshpit, what do you expect?!?

2. IDIOTS shouting out stupid fucking shit. Shouting out songs and shit is ok, but telling Mike to hurry up and play songs is just being fucking stupid. I dunno about the rest of you but I sure as hell wanted to hear every word Mike had to say, and with cunts saying "HURRY UP, PLAY SOME MUSIC", I just wished I turned around and kicked their heads in. Fucking stupid.

3. Mike not giving me a plectrum!! :p:p

Killer show guys, see everyone again tonight. I'll be up the back hanging out in a booth this time, got a pretty sore neck after last night, and as others have said you don't get the best sound up-front, it's more of a 'being so close to Mike' sort of thing :).

Ah well, enjoy everyone.

Oh yeah, and I'm sooo hoping for When tonight, Moonlapse and the boys should get onto harrasing Mike again for that ;)

Haha, i was with Moonlapse and his/my mates. We tried to get a chant started for BWP for the closer, but alas we got Deilverance. If only it would have worked, would've made an awsome show for us.