the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Something about Opeth throws me off too. Like, statistically speaking based on my ipod content, I should totally be into them but I've tried em several times and it never works out.

I tried to because one of my best friends loves em, she drives me nuts sometimes with it. lol

What do you like that is similar?

NP -

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you like that is similar?

Uhh Katatonia, Ne Obliviscaris, Devin Townsend and a million other progressive bands. Those are just the three that grabbed my attention while scrolling through it real quick.

Currently listening to this:

"TOO simple for a prog band"
Opeth?

Okay, gooood luck with that opinion.

We could compare if you like, Opeth does not have the technical complexity of many other prog bands at all.

Could you direct me to a song where I can hear their sheer technical genius? If not good luck with YOUR opinion.

Ima go way out in left field with this, hahah. But I have loved this kind of stuff ever since I played my first Final Fantasy game (FF3) when I was 12. Even ordered the soundtrack for it back then ^-^ It was all basically composed by one dude. But, anyways. I really like hearing the orchestrated versions of some of them too. I just really love the emotion that comes out when the instruments come together, and the melody of each instrument, in the orchestrated, and the SNES versions.

Love when those extra violins come in at 1:27 and how the song just constantly picks up. 3:15 is awesome too.

We could compare if you like, Opeth does not have the technical complexity of many other prog bands at all.

Could you direct me to a song where I can hear their sheer technical genius? If not good luck with YOUR opinion.

Uhmmm...there's a reason why there's a sub-genre called "technical". Technical=/=progressive. A lot of bands combine the two, but they are not the same thing at all. Comparing Opeth to The Faceless would be like comparing Katy Perry to Nirvana.

Jacob777, you made my day. Final Fantasy has some of the greatest tunes I've ever heard and I love everything Nobuo Uematsu and The Black Mages ever did...I know just how you feel, thanks man! 9 is also my favourite and the world map theme sends shivers through my goosebumps.

Uhmmm...there's a reason why there's a sub-genre called "technical". Technical=/=progressive. A lot of bands combine the two, but they are not the same thing at all. Comparing Opeth to The Faceless would be like comparing Katy Perry to Nirvana.

the only subgrenre that uses the term Technical, is Tech Death. Technical does not usually make something into a completely new genre unless it changes the sound drastically via use of different scales/modes. We don't usual here people say "Tech power metal". lol Both Misanthrope and Opeth are prog bands, one of them is technical, one is not.

However I agree on comparing them, and that was my point. Even though both bands are progressive, they are nothing alike at all.

Ima go way out in left field with this, hahah. But I have loved this kind of stuff ever since I played my first Final Fantasy game (FF3) when I was 12. Even ordered the soundtrack for it back then ^-^ It was all basically composed by one dude. But, anyways. I really like hearing the orchestrated versions of some of them too. I just really love the emotion that comes out when the instruments come together, and the melody of each instrument, in the orchestrated, and the SNES versions.

Love when those extra violins come in at 1:27 and how the song just constantly picks up. 3:15 is awesome too.

Now I want google one winged angel covers.

I'm enjoying this greatly. Very well done.

katatonia-Dethroned-And-Uncrowned.jpg