the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Since i bought "Collide and spark" from amazon i can´t stop listen to it. Like written before : This would be a highlight track on any avantasia album...so Matt : Please make this a Project for a whole album !!!

Dont tread on me by Sons Of Liberty. If you like iced earth Jon schaffer's side project is awesome. It is however Libertarian/market anarchist themed. I love it. You guys may not.

As a SA fan (and as someone whose first metal love was Sonata Arctica) I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

That being said, older Sonata Arctica stuff (before Unia) should not be an acquired taste, since it's generic power metal done right and if you like power metal in general you should feel at home with it. But their newer stuff is most definitively an acquired taste in my book, Toni Kakko started making the music he truly wanted and abandoned the original generic power metal approach which the world grew to love.

As a Sonata Arctica fan for many years, I’d have to wholeheartedly disagree with your statement.

Calling their early stuff “generic power metal done right” is ridiculous. Sonata Arctica definitely has a signature sound that is recognizable from the second you hear one of their songs; especially Tony Kakko’s voice and delivery style. Not to mention their songwriting blows any other power metal band I’ve heard out of the water. Way catchier, way more fun, and way more enjoyable. I still think they are quite possibly the best one out there. Easy.

On another point, yeah, Unia does take some listens to get into, but once you do, you’ll be glad you did it. Phenomenal album.

Well it comes down to opinions, and naturally neither of us is right. :lol:

But, seeing as nobody minds us exchanging comments it'd be a shame to stop there. :)
Yes, they have a signature sound, but so does Helloween, HammerFall and Rhapsody, and they're all generic power metal. That doesn't make them bad at music, they just have a way of doing things and it works.
Songwriting is a bit touchy since it's subjective, but I agree with you, their stuff still blows me away. I genuinely deny myself some songs so that I may experience them in some ten-twenty years or so.
And then there's the catchyness...just because music is catchy does not mean it's good. Not saying it's bad again, I'm just saying it's a bad variable to base their quality on.

Well it comes down to opinions, and naturally neither of us is right. :lol:

But, seeing as nobody minds us exchanging comments it'd be a shame to stop there. :)
Yes, they have a signature sound, but so does Helloween, HammerFall and Rhapsody, and they're all generic power metal. That doesn't make them bad at music, they just have a way of doing things and it works.

That's an oxymoron. You can't be both generic and have a signiture sound at the same time. The only possible reason you classify them as "generic" is because the slew of copycat bands that came after them which causes the genre to become oversaturated.

Songwriting is a bit touchy since it's subjective, but I agree with you, their stuff still blows me away. I genuinely deny myself some songs so that I may experience them in some ten-twenty years or so.

Of course it's subjective, but considering there are a lot of likeminded people on here that have pretty good taste in music, I don't think it's very touchy. I can listen to music I don't care for and still recognize the songwriting is good. It's subjective, to an extent.

And then there's the catchyness...just because music is catchy does not mean it's good. Not saying it's bad again, I'm just saying it's a bad variable to base their quality on.

I disagree. Catchiness, which is essentially parts of songs that stick with you and you find enjoyable, it always a good thing. The reason anyone listens to anything is because they find it desireable, i.e. Catchiness. Not only is it a good variable to base an opinion on, it's what most base musical opinions on.
And, yes catchiness in and of itself doesn't necessarily equal good music. However it's always a positive quality and redeeming factor. A crappy song that's catchy (which are plentyful) will always be better than a crappy song that isn't.

And yes, what's catchy and what isn't is also subjective... to an extent. Most recognizable melodies are quite simple. Almost everyone knows the first 4 notes of Beethoven's 5th symphony. It sticks with you. There are certain qualities of music that resonate with most people.

You can't be both generic and have a signature sound at the same time.

All of their songs have the same composition, Sonata's stuff barely became proggy with Unia. They even repeat themselves at times. Since it's keyboard driven the guitars are either powerchords or scales. I remember joking around with a friend of mine that the drummer of Sonata only recorded one track and they used the sample in a number of their songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBeOtvpovYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yszaOJHPjA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN2UQyXGReI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1YTOob2PU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahjMrcHAVaw

But I understand what you're aiming at, maybe generic was the wrong term for it. Possibly formulaic and maybe predictable (without it sounding like I'm trying to insult them)-- I love all of these songs, and 95% of the stuff Sonata ever made but the sound they achieved before Unia isn't solely theirs.

Let's take your band for instance, you have a singer whose voice never reminded me of anyone, and the rough vibrato (I hope I'm phrasing it right) his voice, best heard at "...there was a madman's cry for insufficient life." of A New Melody added a unique dimension to your music . It took me some 20-30 listens to match him to some other singers, and barely. And your songwriting in general never had me going "where have I heard this before", whereas when listening to Sonata, and after learning of Sonata and when listening to other bands I'd get these flashes "of it's that part of this power metal song". Yeah, maybe formulaic is the better term, I hate writing this as it makes Sonata sound like a lesser band, as those guys really left a mark on my life.

A crappy song that's catchy (which are plentyful) will always be better than a crappy song that isn't.

Despite understanding what you mean by that, I cannot accept coincidence as a means of enriching the song. I've heard far too many Limp Bizkits and rap songs that've caught my attention via their 'catchy factor' and I often cringe when I realise that there are masses out there who would consider it good music just based on the fact that they are somewhat earwormy. For one thing, anyone can spout a catchy beat; and anything that's got a familiar rhythm or is written in the few chords subconsciously known to everyone instantly becomes memorable.

Almost everyone knows the first 4 notes of Beethoven's 5th symphony

Beethoven's 5th more likely sticks to people because it's part of basic music education or due to its popularity in mainstream media. It's not particularly catchy if you ask me, but I know what you mean.

ps
Sonata's Unia and your debut both had something which is definitively not a sign of catchy music; they both took at least 10 listens over longer periods of time in order for me to absorb and understand them. They're far from catchy, but then again they're both great albums.

(had to edit the links because they were taking far too much space :( )

I've been very slowly buying Sonata Arctica and now have their first four albums.
I just love them - they're probably my favourite band after Theocracy - and I love this discussion about them too.

I'm also currently listening to a newly purchased CD of 1987 release "Everyday Man" by Gary Chapman and particularly like the duet with and occasional backing vocals from then wife Amy Grant.

To make up for this, I also bought Deliverance's 1991 release "What a Joke" this week. I'd forgotten this album even existed for more than 20 years, and have nicely filled a gap in my Deliverance collection.

Speaking of Sonata Arctica, here is news from a week ago cut/paste from their website:

On March, 28th the new SONATA ARCTICA album "Pariah's Child" will be released. It is the band's eighth studio album and the follow up to their successful "Stones Grow Her Name".

Today the beautiful cover artwork for "Pariah's Child" will be released. Vocalist Tony Kakko explains he thoughts behind the album title and the artwork like this:
"As always it's pretty hard coming up with a name for the new baby. I tried to approach it from many angles; how this is our 8th album and how easy it would be to abuse that fact. All the symbolism of figure eight, eternity and so on. But that just did not feel right as it's been done so many times. Then I started to think how we'd in ways abandoned our "totem animal", the wolf and all what comes with the territory. As the music on the album is bowing more towards the "old" Sonata, meaning more power metal style elements and wolves in many of the songs in one form or another, it was clear we need a wolf on the cover. An abandoned wolf. A pariah. Or Pariah's child, actually. The new generation to bring the old logo back."

Now Playing: Pain of Salvation - Sisters

Speaking of Sonata Arctica, here is news from a week ago cut/paste from their website:

On March, 28th the new SONATA ARCTICA album "Pariah's Child" will be released. It is the band's eighth studio album and the follow up to their successful "Stones Grow Her Name".

Today the beautiful cover artwork for "Pariah's Child" will be released. Vocalist Tony Kakko explains he thoughts behind the album title and the artwork like this:
"As always it's pretty hard coming up with a name for the new baby. I tried to approach it from many angles; how this is our 8th album and how easy it would be to abuse that fact. All the symbolism of figure eight, eternity and so on. But that just did not feel right as it's been done so many times. Then I started to think how we'd in ways abandoned our "totem animal", the wolf and all what comes with the territory. As the music on the album is bowing more towards the "old" Sonata, meaning more power metal style elements and wolves in many of the songs in one form or another, it was clear we need a wolf on the cover. An abandoned wolf. A pariah. Or Pariah's child, actually. The new generation to bring the old logo back."

Now Playing: Pain of Salvation - Sisters

I'm excited for the new Sonata Arctica. They seems to be super excited about it. I'm expecting it to blow minds.

Yeah, a friend of mine reviewed it after getting the promo and he says it's a massive change from Unia, Stones, Grays, like they aimed for the old school power metal sound and says that they did a very good job at it. I'll be honest, I never anticipated Stones with any glee but this album has me sitting on the edge of my seat, I hope they do a bigger tour so I can finally get a chance to see them.

Yeah, a friend of mine reviewed it after getting the promo and he says it's a massive change from Unia, Stones, Grays, like they aimed for the old school power metal sound and says that they did a very good job at it. I'll be honest, I never anticipated Stones with any glee but this album has me sitting on the edge of my seat, I hope they do a bigger tour so I can finally get a chance to see them.

I really anticipated and loved Stones, however it was apparent with the simplicity of the songwriting on that album (for the most part) that they weren't going to do the more complex stuff like they did on Unia and Greys any longer. You're friend's description of the promo is pretty much what I was expecting. I'm pretty freakin' excited.

The closest they are coming to me is in Chicago (I believe) but it's on the day I'll be heading up north for the best fishing trip in the world, so I'll be missing it...

This movie was freakin' great. Way better than the first Hobbit.

Last edited by a moderator: