The what's going on in Thrash thread

It has been a while since I studied early American History in depth but all of what Slammed wrote sounds very familiar.

About a decade ago I read a book about the British Empire written by a British Historian. It was interesting to read a different perspective on the French-Indian War, and the American Revolution. If I recall correctly he attributed the American victory to American forces turning the conflict into a bush war.

Working on getting licensed to teach in Massachusetts and I have to take a bunch of tests. One of them is for History and I did pretty good on the practice test. It is rough though because I haven't taught American History in a decade and I have taught very basic World Geography and History for the last decade. There are some in depth questions about Colonial America, American Government, Economic Theory, and surprisingly quite a few about Renaissance Europe. Luckily, I took a class on the Renaissance a couple of years ago otherwise I would be stumped.

I think being exposed to ignorance and illiteracy on daily basis for 15 + years has caused my brain to atrophy. I feel like I have lost a lot of knowledge, haha.

One of the biggest problem with history is that much of what we read today is written by people who weren't there. It's easy to believe a story like the Poms being derogatory towards the Americans and thinking they were lower class but for many generations that's what they did to everyone and it does make a really good story. But something like Yankee Doodle was also 400 years ago and we probably all played that game as kids in a classroom where the teacher starts a story, whispers it to kid one and then by the time it goes through the entire class it's a completely different story. Hard to believe that at least some of history hasn't suffered the same fate.

I think it is a general term for all Northerners. I had family from Alabama that I visited in the 1990s who acted and talked like it was still the 1890s and they referred to us as Yankees. I think they still haven't gotten over the Civil War down there, haha.

From an outsiders perspective based mostly on the media to us it often feels like America finds it hard to let go of many things in history. It's probably not the case for most people, but let's face it the media stopped representing most people years ago.

The Anthrax forum on this site?

Yeah, they are really defensive about their beloved band and although it's mostly dead and you'd think they'd be happy to talk about their beloved band they really only want to hear positive things. The MOD/Milano one is even worse, I remember calling Billy a bad name and fuck they went mental at me :)

Wow, I had only a slight idea about most of that! I knew it was supposed to be derogatory, but not much clue why. And absolutely zero about the whole Dutch connection. I get the British using it as a put down, they used to love class put downs. In my lifetime I've never taken it as a slag. Especially by anyone from the south.Nor do I know anyone who has ever taken offense to it. I mean. Even when some people from the south say it like venom it means nothing. I mean. We won (in both cases). Say whatever you want lol.
I had no idea about the term Aussie either! I always just thought it was a cool nickname! Which by this point I think it basically is right?

How do you think I feel finding out after all these years I'm meant to use the word Aussie defensively :)
I stopped taking offence at words when I was about 10. I probably started doing it as a stubborn shit head kid not wanting to let others think they were getting to me, but somewhere along the line I also realised that they are just words. Even angry words spat at me don't hurt.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Yeah, they are really defensive about their beloved band and although it's mostly dead and you'd think they'd be happy to talk about their beloved band they really only want to hear positive things. The MOD/Milano one is even worse, I remember calling Billy a bad name and fuck they went mental at me :)
And I've really only ever been positive on that forum. Bastards. :) Some of them have been pretty negative at times. It's kind of like a "we can, but you can't" kind of thing.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
How do you think I feel finding out after all these years I'm meant to use the word Aussie defensively :)
I stopped taking offence at words when I was about 10. I probably started doing it as a stubborn shit head kid not wanting to let others think they were getting to me, but somewhere along the line I also realised that they are just words. Even angry words spat at me don't hurt.
But now you've turned it into that cool chant! Oi oi oi! Aussie Aussie Aussie! :kickass:

And I've really only ever been positive on that forum. Bastards. :) Some of them have been pretty negative at times. It's kind of like a "we can, but you can't" kind of thing.

Yeah I loved the comments about Anthrax taking so long between albums, which is total truth, yet they defended it so many different ways.

But now you've turned it into that cool chant! Oi oi oi! Aussie Aussie Aussie! :kickass:

The problem is now we have to figure out how to make it defensive. We'll be like Russia or Korea. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi will translate to "if you don't get a gold medal we'll rip of your legs, steal your children and the authorities will never find your body!"

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Of course they did. It's presented as a movie soundtrack., at least what I've heard. Do something that's related to Metallica musically with a frontman and watch the difference ;)

I can't believe how Dick 1 and 2 still control Kirk. Makes you wonder what they do to Crabman given he's the newbie.

L

Lol people complaining about the barrier between them and the fans like they think they're gonna get mobbed. They're social distancing. Bunch of morons. They've said that if anyone gets covid the tour is over.

Yeah it's pretty clear why they are doing it and you can't really blame them. You'd have to suggest that if Blythe got it and no one else in the crew/tour party has then they've been extremely lucky. But not every group could be that lucky.