The what's going on in Thrash thread

I'm not surprised Alex tries to make it his own without care of the effect to the song. He's becoming more and more of a show pony as the days go by. As you say Alex has the talent but it also seems that talent wont allow him to step down off his pedestal.

I don't know where I read that thing about solos, but it was a long long time ago. I can't remember who said it but it was at a time when there was a lot of cover bands around and imitators rather than just wannbe musos. Whoever it was said copying their song was okay, it showed respect and most bands would be flattered, but a solo is his signature, something he does for a song that in uniquely his and therefore shouldn't be copied. It would have been back in the 90's I read it and from a band that wasn't new to the scene and popular enough to have imitators.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
For once Blabber have done us all a favour.
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/a...ink-people-will-be-very-happy-says-scott-ian/

The full interview from this article waffles on an on and on about that band with his missus, how much of a 'rock kid' he was, and how great that new band is. Blabber cut to the chase and give us Anthrax news in the first two paragraphs, although how newsworthy it really is may be up for debate.

Comparing the album in any way shape or form to ATL is a risky move on his behalf. But I still get the impression they have actually done sweet fuck all for this new album. He's still only hoping to get time in the studio it this year, he thinks they 'are getting there', he thinks the songs are great. There is nothing at all solid about anything he's said. I'm really starting to wonder if covid was just an excuse for the last three years and there is deeper issues within the band that they are trying to keep quiet. Lets face it neither Scott or Charlie have had any problems producing stuff that isn't Anthrax in the last three years.

I'm not surprised Alex tries to make it his own without care of the effect to the song. He's becoming more and more of a show pony as the days go by. As you say Alex has the talent but it also seems that talent wont allow him to step down off his pedestal.

I don't know where I read that thing about solos, but it was a long long time ago. I can't remember who said it but it was at a time when there was a lot of cover bands around and imitators rather than just wannbe musos. Whoever it was said copying their song was okay, it showed respect and most bands would be flattered, but a solo is his signature, something he does for a song that in uniquely his and therefore shouldn't be copied. It would have been back in the 90's I read it and from a band that wasn't new to the scene and popular enough to have imitators.
He is acting more and more like a like a show pony! Good call. He really has become quite the ham onstage.

I don't know who said that ( it was probably Alex lol), but as a fan I want to hear the songs as close as possible. Because they are really good songs and someone put thought and effort into making them the way they are. It shows respect. People are emotionally attached to certain things, lyrics, notes, whatever. And when you change that you don't get that connection and it's a letdown. Like I said some deviation and improve is okay when it's done right. But when it's habitual it just shows lack of caring. Especially when it doesn't fit the song at all.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wasn't the reason we don't get more songs from the Low album.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
Not suggesting Testament isn't a good gig, but if I could get to play in my favourite/main band with my wife on stage playing along side like that I'd quit Testament too :)

Haven't watched the full video yet, I hope the camera angle doesn't make it too hard to watch
Haha. Well not having a wife I can't really relate :).

I haven't watched any of it yet. I hope the angle doesn't suck too.

For once Blabber have done us all a favour.
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/a...ink-people-will-be-very-happy-says-scott-ian/

The full interview from this article waffles on an on and on about that band with his missus, how much of a 'rock kid' he was, and how great that new band is. Blabber cut to the chase and give us Anthrax news in the first two paragraphs, although how newsworthy it really is may be up for debate.

Comparing the album in any way shape or form to ATL is a risky move on his behalf. But I still get the impression they have actually done sweet fuck all for this new album. He's still only hoping to get time in the studio it this year, he thinks they 'are getting there', he thinks the songs are great. There is nothing at all solid about anything he's said. I'm really starting to wonder if covid was just an excuse for the last three years and there is deeper issues within the band that they are trying to keep quiet. Lets face it neither Scott or Charlie have had any problems producing stuff that isn't Anthrax in the last three years.
Lol yeah they did cut out the fat for us!

He starts to compare the two but then he says he can't or shouldn't right?
Yeah, it's tough to know. But you're absolutely right that not one of them had a problem putting out some other project.

He is acting more and more like a like a show pony! Good call. He really has become quite the ham onstage.

I don't know who said that ( it was probably Alex lol), but as a fan I want to hear the songs as close as possible. Because they are really good songs and someone put thought and effort into making them the way they are. It shows respect. People are emotionally attached to certain things, lyrics, notes, whatever. And when you change that you don't get that connection and it's a letdown. Like I said some deviation and improve is okay when it's done right. But when it's habitual it just shows lack of caring. Especially when it doesn't fit the song at all.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wasn't the reason we don't get more songs from the Low album.

I wonder if his hamming it up is because he thinks he's that good, or if he thinks he needs to because the rest of the band are better than him. I doubt he would answer that. :)

Yeah I can see the point of not changing songs just because one player in the band changes. I know Jake E Lee and Zakk never copied Randy's solos to the same degree that Randy played them, Ozzy gave them each their own songs to play defining solos on and that's fair. But I don't really see Alex doing anything out of respect for anyone else.

Haha. Well not having a wife I can't really relate :).

I haven't watched any of it yet. I hope the angle doesn't suck too.

What about the girl friend? If you were hamming it up with Testament (sorry that was an easy attack on Alex) and your GF was a great bass player wouldn't you want to play along side her?

The angle looked high from what I looked at briefly. I'll go back to it soon.

Lol yeah they did cut out the fat for us!

He starts to compare the two but then he says he can't or shouldn't right?
Yeah, it's tough to know. But you're absolutely right that not one of them had a problem putting out some other project.

The thing is ATL was a career defining album, sure they'd been successful enough to get a record deal etc before than but ATL is probably the album most referred to as their best. We'd all like to be hopeful that the best is yet to come but that's what fans do. Having the players say it's the best before it's even been recorded really puts pressure on the record. And really if it was as good as they've been sprouting for the last three years why have the not got any incentive to record it and get it out. Seems to me if you were about to release a career defining album you'd want people to hear it, not get them angry waiting and judge it more harshly than it deserves. It just doesn't make sense.

That's anothe
I wonder if his hamming it up is because he thinks he's that good, or if he thinks he needs to because the rest of the band are better than him. I doubt he would answer that. :)

Yeah I can see the point of not changing songs just because one player in the band changes. I know Jake E Lee and Zakk never copied Randy's solos to the same degree that Randy played them, Ozzy gave them each their own songs to play defining solos on and that's fair. But I don't really see Alex doing anything out of respect for anyone else.
That's another issue. He hams it up so much that he almost throws himself out of time. To me and I'm sure others his own solos on the old stuff are perfect, they are fast as hell yet have feel and taste. He's been stuffing so many notes into these solos that the latter two have become almost non existent. He just barely is able to pull it back into the song in time for the change. But I notice! And it sounds off! :)

What about the girl friend? If you were hamming it up with Testament (sorry that was an easy attack on Alex) and your GF was a great bass player wouldn't you want to play along side her?

The angle looked high from what I looked at briefly. I'll go back to it soon.
:p Don't need to apologize for my sake! :lol:

I would want all the attention for myself!!:tickled:

The thing is ATL was a career defining album, sure they'd been successful enough to get a record deal etc before than but ATL is probably the album most referred to as their best. We'd all like to be hopeful that the best is yet to come but that's what fans do. Having the players say it's the best before it's even been recorded really puts pressure on the record. And really if it was as good as they've been sprouting for the last three years why have the not got any incentive to record it and get it out. Seems to me if you were about to release a career defining album you'd want people to hear it, not get them angry waiting and judge it more harshly than it deserves. It just doesn't make sense.
We can't look for sense when it comes to Scott Ian lol. Yeah I do see what you mean. Me personally I've always like ATL, SOE and POT equally. But I do know that many people choose ATL alone.

That's anothe

That's another issue. He hams it up so much that he almost throws himself out of time. To me and I'm sure others his own solos on the old stuff are perfect, they are fast as hell yet have feel and taste. He's been stuffing so many notes into these solos that the latter two have become almost non existent. He just barely is able to pull it back into the song in time for the change. But I notice! And it sounds off! :)

You have to wonder why Eric isn't saying something, surely he's noticing. Although maybe he's not because of what he has in his ears and foldbacks.

We can't look for sense when it comes to Scott Ian lol. Yeah I do see what you mean. Me personally I've always like ATL, SOE and POT equally. But I do know that many people choose ATL alone.

When they first started the new album talk back in about 2018 and they were using words like aggressive and powerful, they were just words. We could choose to believe them or not believe them because there was nothing to compare. It would pretty much have come down to personal opinion on whether each individual thought they could achieve such things. But to compare something that doesn't actually exist to a real thing just creates a yardstick for people to measure things. People are less likely to remember the aggressive comments than they are that it's going to be like ATL and fans of ATL will not only remember it but be critical of it when then get it. I think he's being very silly comparing it to any one of their previous albums.

Yeah but how long can that buzz last? :p. Is that the lowest channel on the dial? Lol. Dial. :lol:

It only needs to last for one gig :) Although I hear if you play pop music it lasts for a very long time!

The channel that never quite comes in properly. The message is always garbled and it gets hard to watch for too long.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune