The what's going on in Thrash thread

It really wasn't about the fans wanting anything. It's just who the fans liked better and therefore sold more albums than the rest.

Let's face it we've got the Bay Area scene, the East Coast scene, the British scene, the Brazillian scene, the Teutonic scene and probably a heap of other local scenes that don't attract the same attention, all with the Big 4 sitting at the top. All those top 5 scenes would have rivalled the each other for selling albums and selling tickets and each of them was bigger locally than the others were, but the one thing they had in common was uniting like minded people. Everyone wants to be part of a group. Everyone wants to feel like they belong and everyone wants their favourite band at the top. Even the NWOBHM was a term coined just to group a bunch of top tier British metal bands together in a group so that fans had something to cling to. Some names have survived better than others over the years but they are only categories that really don't mean much.

Well if you did the same thing over and over for 25 years and consistently fucked up but got paid top dollar anyway...

All bands make mistakes.The mistakes Overkill, Slayer, Anthrax etc etc etc make in songs they have been playing for decades are no less just because they don't make the same money Metallica do. However Metallica are often more criticised for their mistakes because they do make more money than other bands. Listening to the mistakes I heard on the Overkill CD doesn't make them any less of band and doesn't automatically mean they deserve to be shit on but they are still fuck ups in songs that the band have been playing for years, and I doubt I heard half the mistakes a trained ear would have heard.

Let's face it we've got the Bay Area scene, the East Coast scene, the British scene, the Brazillian scene, the Teutonic scene and probably a heap of other local scenes that don't attract the same attention, all with the Big 4 sitting at the top. All those top 5 scenes would have rivalled the each other for selling albums and selling tickets and each of them was bigger locally than the others were, but the one thing they had in common was uniting like minded people. Everyone wants to be part of a group. Everyone wants to feel like they belong and everyone wants their favourite band at the top. Even the NWOBHM was a term coined just to group a bunch of top tier British metal bands together in a group so that fans had something to cling to. Some names have survived better than others over the years but they are only categories that really don't mean much.
What's your point?

Reactions: Slammed
Well, sure. but the Big4 came about because of record sales. The fact that people gathered to it is neither here nor there. But actually while Metallica is obviously bigger than everyone (although being thrash is debatable), the Big4 is probably still a legit name. Those other three bands probably do still sell more than the other thrash bands.

Well, sure. but the Big4 came about because of record sales. The fact that people gathered to it is neither here nor there. But actually while Metallica is obviously bigger than everyone (although being thrash is debatable), the Big4 is probably still a legit name. Those other three bands probably do still sell more than the other thrash bands.

Hearing Metallica play all their old songs (even with the thousands of lazy mistakes) there is little doubt they can still thrash with the best of them.

Without any actually figures to base it on I wouldn't be so quick to say Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth do out sell the other bands. Maybe they do in America and maybe they still do in their home grown areas but Europe's thrash scene has always been huge. The concerts are some of the biggest in the world and metal fans over there really do get in their chosen music. It's why so many bands spend so much time in Europe.

Hearing Metallica play all their old songs (even with the thousands of lazy mistakes) there is little doubt they can still thrash with the best of them.

Without any actually figures to base it on I wouldn't be so quick to say Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth do out sell the other bands. Maybe they do in America and maybe they still do in their home grown areas but Europe's thrash scene has always been huge. The concerts are some of the biggest in the world and metal fans over there really do get in their chosen music. It's why so many bands spend so much time in Europe.
All I can say is check out the Big4 show. Metallica has the best stage the best show but are absolutely the worst performing band. It's all show and sing alongs and a lot of mess ups. They get by on charisma. Look at Lars' drumset, it's half of what it was, their sound is thin as hell. How long in between albums because they would rather do other things? They just don't care. I wish they did, but they don't.
This from a band who up until 93ish were just about flawless

Off the top of my head, Slayer's last album sold 50.000. Megadeth sold 48.000 and Anthrax sold 34.000? I thinkTestament sold around 15.000 in the first week. I have no idea what bands like Kreator and Destruction sold.
But Europe, especially Germany is absolutely the best land for metal bands. At least to play live.

Oh ok so in summary, reading between the lines, looking at all the options. Metallica still put on a good show and Europe is the metal capital of the world.

Reactions: redfly
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anthrax-still-relevant-after-more-than-35-years/

Anthrax are still relevant too! Maybe Metallica need to come out telling people how relevant they are for people to accept them again :p

Charlie said: "The thing about us is we call ourselves a heavy metal band but we also love rock and roll. We enjoy different forms. Like I love funk; especially as a drummer, that type of music is very primal. When rap hit, I was one of the first to bring it into what we were doing. Then we ended up working it into a song with PUBLIC ENEMY, which was one the highlights of my career. I think that's what makes us different — we are not afraid to push boundaries with different forms of music."
They are different because they listen to bands that aren't metal and they use other influences in their music? All the good bands have a wide variety of influences, sure not every metal band has done a song with PE but for fucks sake it was 25 years ago, get over it, everyone else has.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anthrax-still-relevant-after-more-than-35-years/

Anthrax are still relevant too! Maybe Metallica need to come out telling people how relevant they are for people to accept them again :p

Charlie said: "The thing about us is we call ourselves a heavy metal band but we also love rock and roll. We enjoy different forms. Like I love funk; especially as a drummer, that type of music is very primal. When rap hit, I was one of the first to bring it into what we were doing. Then we ended up working it into a song with PUBLIC ENEMY, which was one the highlights of my career. I think that's what makes us different — we are not afraid to push boundaries with different forms of music."
They are different because they listen to bands that aren't metal and they use other influences in their music? All the good bands have a wide variety of influences, sure not every metal band has done a song with PE but for fucks sake it was 25 years ago, get over it, everyone else has.
Pretty sick of them talking about this as well. Get over it, it helped bring about limp bizcut

Pretty sick of them talking about this as well. Get over it, it helped bring about limp bizcut

That's reason in itself to never hear Bring The Noise again!

I think Charlie is behind the times. I'm pretty sure the time for coming out and telling everyone you are a thrash metal band influenced by other forms of music was just so 2000's