The what's going on in Thrash thread

I haven't heard Sabbaths last album in it's entirety. But I wouldn't think it hard to improve on the sound of equipment from the 60s/70s
But the more Sabbathy bands the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Can you recommend a song by that band?

I don't just mean the production, although Electric Wizard is definitely a lot heavier. I remember reading an interview with Jus Oborn (Electric Wizard's main man) where he explained how he saw Electric Wizard as a continuation of Black Sabbath if Black Sabbath had evolved in a certain direction (i.e. if they'd gotten slower, darker and creepier - played up was unique about their sound - rather than morphed into a standard heavy metal band).

Here's what I mean:

I honestly don't find this heavier than Sabbath. Some of their stuff yes. But not in general. I don't think that having distortion on the bass and vocals turned up to 10 really qualifies. There is also not much in the way of dynamics or fire in the music or the vocals. It just kind of droans on. I find COCs Sabbathness much heavier. As far as production it doesn't sound any better but that has to be on purpose lol
But that's just my opinion. It's still good. All that matters is that you enjoy it...and that it's not commercial!

I honestly don't find this heavier than Sabbath. Some of their stuff yes. But not in general. I don't think that having distortion on the bass and vocals turned up to 10 really qualifies.

So wait, what constitutes heaviness?

The vocals are one of my favourite parts of Electric Wizard, Jus Oborn sounds like he's his losing his mind, which really works for the lyrics to that song:

Funeral planet, dead black asteroid
Mausoleum, this world is a tomb
Human zombies, staring blank faces
No reason to live, dead in the womb
Death shroud existence, slave for a pittance
Condemned to die before I could breathe
Millions are screaming, the dead are still living
This Earth has died yet no one has seen

They toned the vocals down for later albums though, plus the songs are a little more accessible.

I just don't find it very heavy. I don't know what constitutes heaviness. But I think anyone who puts distortion on their voice to make it sound heavy is kind of cheating. Anyone can do that. Put distortion on a kids voice it will sound heavy. It's not that I don't find it heavy at all. But you're saying heavier and darker than Sabbath and that I don't hear. Sabbath has nuances that add to the darkness, this song did not.

by the way I don't think there is a right or wrong here. Just personal preference.

Last edited:
His voice might be distorted, but it sounds unique; I really can't think of another band with vocals quite like Electric Wizard. I guess they don't have quite as much variety as Sabbath do, but they've got some ripping bluesy lead lines. I usually get tired of heavier doom bands due to the level of repetition, though, so I can see where you're coming from. EW just have that little bit extra that keeps me hooked where most similar bands can't.

Hey Neptune! Did you see that Flotsam's site is back under construction? Fingers crossed that they bring the message board back!
Hows that import track? I haven't ordered it yet.

I did see that! I too really hope they bring back the message board.Bonus track is killer,probably one of the best tracks on the album well worth buying. I would definitely upload the track,but my CD/DVD drive shit the bed long ago lol!

Well, he's had nu metal in him for quite some time (remember Pushed?). Good to see he's back in the business, though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for his success.