The World Cup 2014 Official Thread

My predictions

Brazil over Chile (Just pray Chile's 'keeper does not get hit with a flare.)
Colombia beats Uruguay (No Suarez? No chance.)
Holland over Mexico (van Persie well rested. Watch the rampage)
Germany over Algeria (Algeria looking for justice from their 1982 screwjob. Germany looking to get even from their '82 defeat.)
Costa Rica over Greece (Greece got very lucky. Costa Rica beat out 3 past champions, luck not needed)
France over Nigeria (Frank Ribery? Samir Nasri? Who are they?)
Argentina over Switzerland (Argentina could probably beat the Swiss with their SECOND 11 and their third-choice 'keeper)
USA beats Belgium (Comrade Klinsmann orders "Serve me their heads on a plate!")

Hard to argue with any of those predictions. Well done.

My predictions

Brazil over Chile (Just pray Chile's 'keeper does not get hit with a flare.)
Colombia beats Uruguay (No Suarez? No chance.)
Holland over Mexico (van Persie well rested. Watch the rampage)
Germany over Algeria (Algeria looking for justice from their 1982 screwjob. Germany looking to get even from their '82 defeat.)
Costa Rica over Greece (Greece got very lucky. Costa Rica beat out 3 past champions, luck not needed)
France over Nigeria (Frank Ribery? Samir Nasri? Who are they?)
Argentina over Switzerland (Argentina could probably beat the Swiss with their SECOND 11 and their third-choice 'keeper)
USA beats Belgium (Comrade Klinsmann orders "Serve me their heads on a plate!")

Hard to argue with any of those predictions. Well done.

I agree. My predictions from the round of 16 were spot on except of Ivory Coast staying out and Greece making in. I still can't believe the most boring, undeserving squad made it out of the group stage... Yes, I think Greek soccer is one of the ugliest things a soccer fan could ever wish upon their worst enemy.

Now that Suarez is out, I must agree that Uruguay will succumb to Colombia. So in a quick "re-do", I'll go with the following quarter finals:

Brasil x Colombia
Netherlands x Costa Rica
France x Germany
Argentina x USA

What a match that was. Jesus. I think it's better for the tournament that Brazil held it together in the shootout. They just about deserved the win but Chile are a mighty strong side and where a couple of inches away from victory with that bullet shot at the end. I thought it had gone in for a second as I didn't even see the ball it rebounded so far away. Then we had the last penalty which hits the inside of the post and barely missed the other side. The posts and bar must be Brazillian made!

Another unreal ending to a match and it's heartbreaking for Mexico but they just defended far too deep. This WC is something else. Robben has been amazing this tournament and was within his rights to go down for a penalty a couple of times earlier but the actually final dive for the penalty was so comical. I'm not complaining though as I backed Holland to win and both teams to score. I've got them doubled with Costa Rica later on as well. Come on Los Ticos don't let me down now. I really do hope the boring Greek team are sent packing but those Greeks are resilient bastards. They will most probably keep it 0-0 and then score with the last kick or on pens.

I went to a pub to watch the game and I was so bored that I left during halftime, got home to find Mexico had scored, and spent the next ~40m facepalming until the Dutch finally woke the hell up after 85m of running in circles.

Oh Jesus H Christ! I don't believe this. Greece just equalised and nearly even won it as I type. The number of late goals in this tournament is ruining lives...I was counting my money and it's snatched away. Just defend the fucking ball for christ's sake and they couldn't hold it. I guess I got pay back for Holland's lucky win earlier but this time I was gonna get a lot of losses back and it was denied again.

Extra time coming up and Costa Rica in trouble as they've only got 10 men. Football is a cruel game.

Aaaand Netherlands-Costa Rica it is.

Hopefully they don't play like a bunch of wilted tulips next time.