Official Hockey (NHL) thread

Detroit Red Wings - 2008 Stanley Cup Champions

Great season, and well deserved. I was practically having a heart attack at the end there, but they managed to hold on.

Also Z winning MVP tops this all off well--he had a career making season and an excellent playoff run. Congrats to him, his teammates, the wings coaching staff and organization, and fellow Wings fans!

Wooooohooooo!!!!

Yeah...happy for Zetterberg and Cleary, who was an Oiler awhile back when he was a rookie. Fuck Chelios, though...dirty player, if you ask me. Congrats Red Wings/Red Wing fans.

Oh, I did too! The've always been my second favorite team. But,their youth, nervousness, and inexperience just was too evident.

Yet another Edmonton Oiler, Glenn Anderson, inducted into the Hall of Fame today! Every Oiler in the Hall is from those 5 cup (in 7 years) winning teams(84,85,87,88,90). Larionov from the Redwings got in as well. Good player as well. Over the next year or two, I expect Kevin Lowe, and Charlie Huddy will get in. And maybe Craig MacTavish too.

Yep, Igor made it!

I Loved Fluery sitting on the puck to give up the goal to Zetterberg!
Also the Flyers gave up Prospal for a 7th round trade....bad move?

Yeah, for Philadelphia. This will be Prospal's 3rd time with Tampa. He has great chemistry with Lecavalier.

Can't disagree about him in Tampa....but who in Philly decided that was a good idea? They want to win ..... well maybe not.

I think it's just to cut salary. They signed Richards to 12 years, and got Briere in the off-season, and that couldn't have been cheap. And the fact that they got to the eastern conference finals, would lead me to believe that the Flyer orginization is going to have to hand out some raises to a few players as well.

Canadiens get Tanguay from the Flames for this years first round pick and next years second round pick. Not sure about this one? Maybe bad for the Habs in the end?

The Bruins will probably make a push and sign Hossa from the Pens. He is a friend and neighbor of Z. Chara and close with M. Savard. If ownership knows whats best they will sign Hossa. A Bruins team with a little more offense and a finisher...(G.Murray where were you?), and they probably get past the Habs this year?

I'm thinking the same thing about taking Tanguay. He's a decent player, but Montreal needs more scoring. Boston has got to stop letting talent go! Samsanov, Thornton.....

I think it's just to cut salary. They signed Richards to 12 years, and got Briere in the off-season, and that couldn't have been cheap. And the fact that they got to the eastern conference finals, would lead me to believe that the Flyer orginization is going to have to hand out some raises to a few players as well.

Yea, but now it's not just that, RJ is gone to Columbus now. I think I'll just watch the Red Wings this coming season. lol

Well, well, big suprise here:rolleyes:. The salary cap was increased a few million.....again. Gee....I wonder what team this will benefit the most:loco: A team in a certain city that supposedly never sleeps, perhaps? What's the fucking point of a salary cap if they're going to increase it every year? The Rangers will be able to pillage yet another 2-3 superstars from a small market that did all the work developing some young stars.

For your sake, I hope they keep Madden. Hell of a penalty killer/shorthanded specailist!

I'm excited for the Blackhawks. The new management is going to spend money apparently, so they might add someone like Campbell. They still could use another top 6 forward. Kane, Toews, Sharp, and Havlat are legit talents, but guys like Robert Lang, Jason Williams, and Yanic Perrault are borderline. I don't know how much Khabibulin has left in the tank. Youngster Corey Crawford will probably take Lalime's place as the #2 netminder.

Well, well, big suprise here:rolleyes:. The salary cap was increased a few million.....again. Gee....I wonder what team this will benefit the most:loco: A team in a certain city that supposedly never sleeps, perhaps? What's the fucking point of a salary cap if they're going to increase it every year? The Rangers will be able to pillage yet another 2-3 superstars from a small market that did all the work developing some young stars.

It is becoming pointless...but ya know what, I'll be laughing again as the Rangers load up with big names and talent, and don't do anything with it once again.

Oh, I know, but the problem is when the Rangers pillage from a small market team, it keeps that team from being as successful as they would have been. I know the anger and pain more than any, being a lifelong Oiler fan. '92- 7 players taken by NYR, and 5 to the LA Kings. And then, for the next 12 years, the Rangers continued to take theiryoung players, coaches,(John Muckler, and Ron Lowe) and took their GM Sather. The first year with the cap, Edmonton came one game short of a sixth cup. But Bettman can't have that, no! He's got to make sure a big market team gets there. If the Rangers wouldn't have made the playoffs, I bet there wouldn't have been a salary cap boost. But since they did, he's assuming they'll be better next year....just need a little help to rape another team of their talent for next season. Cause as we all know,:rolleyes: if NY doesn't do well, noone will care to watch hockey. We'll all be so fucking devastated if NY doesn't win.:puke:

I hear ya.
I thought the cap would be a good thing, even-out the playing field for everyone. So you think the cap will go up and up, and eventually favor the big markets again...spend away?