The hockey thread

Goddamn the Kings just dismantled the Devils tonight. After that first goal, which is FAR from the screw job Devils fans are trying to say it was, it seemed they just gave up. 0-6 on the PP including around a full minute of 5-3 play? Pathetic play.

I don't see them recovering from that loss.

You mean the one where the puck was under the pad? I haven't read anything but the only person I saw complain was Brodeur. I don't have a rulebook next to me but as far as I'm aware he doesn't really have a case.

Anyway, yeah, that was one of the worst games I've ever seen as a Devils fan. Sucks, blows, etc. After two close OT losses too.

I could see questioning where was the whistle on that first goal (lost site of puck- stuck under pad). Not that it matters...Devils are simply out-matched. Looking more like the average team at best that they really are / were this year.

Tim Thomas taking the year off is simply bogus. Players are always bitching about getting payed, contracts etc...players need to own up to thier end of the bargain if / when things get a little bumpy! Its professional sports for christ sakes...and he is not the only player with issues going on. The Bruins, given his age, should have never signed him to the length of contract that they did in the first place. This is probably the first step for an early retirement for Thomas...just the Bruins get stuck having to pay his salary cap hit no matter what...and lose a key player in the process. Atleast they have Tuukka Rask who is a damn good goalie in his own right.

Given how amazing his Cup performance was and what he means / meant to the team...I'd be somewhat willing to give Thomas a fair-shake benefit of the doubt whatever. But this guy is on his own island, has a rep of rubbing his team and management the wrong way. Many believe he is simply sticking it to the Bruins by taking next year off. Very lame and suck-ass on his part.

You mean the one where the puck was under the pad? I haven't read anything but the only person I saw complain was Brodeur. I don't have a rulebook next to me but as far as I'm aware he doesn't really have a case.

Reminds me of this:

I mean yeah the ref was on the other side, so he can't really see. But I mean shit like that.

I remember when I went to see a QMJHL game and the home team was in the offensive zone. this guy from the opposing team elbows the guys head to the glass and there was no call, the play kept going and the opposing team scored. What I wasn't expecting, and I've never seen this before in my life. The linesman, came in with the refs and they discussed what probably was the elbow to the back of the head. They came with the decision to call off the goal and give a 5 min major and game misconduct to the guy who elbowed the player.

I'm not sure why they can do this in the Q, but what my question is, if they can do it why don't the NHL do the same things on plays like above and missed calls.

Obviously I don't care, I'm just baffled by the bullshit you see in some games. I mean obviously sometimes Human Error, but if that's the case, they should be able to discuss amongst referees what course of action to take after the play dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thats the point... "the ref can't see". Thier train of thought is to usually blow the play dead when they immediately lose site of the puck...sometimes doing this too quickly...but usually we can live with it. In the case of the puck being stuck under Broduer pads...no way the puck was seen by the ref. Thus, surprising the ref didn't blow the whistle quicker. Irrelevant now.

Yeah, just pointing out other similar situations.

On another note, this Devils/Kings game is intense, 1 goal is going to win this game.

Yep, that towards your comments as well. Indeed missed calls.

As John Lennon says..."give Devils a chance"! Still alive.

Congrats Kings and their fans

Now on to the offseason

My 'pipe dream' roster for the Wings next season

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)
Alexander Semin ($5.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,019,167; BONUSES: $247,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,280,833

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-hefty-loans-could-prevent-re-signing-parise

It might not even be possible for the Devils to resign Parise

Suter is the #1 priority, so if it means forgoing a shot for Parise I say take it and just try for Semin and another decent forward, but we do have the cap space for all three (though like I said, pipe dream...)

Well they are probably gonna lose Brodeur so there's 5 million right there, plus Parise already has like 6 mil deal don't he? He will be all right

Honestly I don't see Fatdeur retiring after that abysmal final performance. He'll come back for at least a year.

He has stated apparently that he would like to return to NJ, but if he doesn't that he WILL NOT sign with the Rangers.

Guess we'll see what happens in the coming weeks. Hopefully July 1st gives me some good birthday presents.

He may return, but he won't be a starter imo..maybe playoff goalie but Hedberg or some free agent they pick up will have to be their future starting next year..

I have really mixed feelings about game 6, it's probably the worst way i've seen a playoff series in any sport end. That one penalty single handedly changed the game and those 3 power play goals were not on him at all. And there is no way the Devils could have scored 3 goals in regulation...it just plain sucked.

If Devils keep Parise, pretty confident they will have another great run in the playoffs.

My mighty Sabres haven't done much, but thankfully we havent wasted any time or money on Boyes or Hecht and for some strange reason havent resigned Ennis yet. But we did get a beast at 6'8 270 to beat up the Bruins and now the Canadiens all year