The hockey thread

Lundquist definitely doesn't have mental toughness over Quick, he is a known playoff choker.

And I definitely don't think it can be said that NY has the skill advantage over LA...LA has been the best offensive team in the league since the all-star break.

Uhhh LA Kings went from 30th in goals scored, to 29th after the Jeff Carter trade haha...they struggled all year offensively...

I'm fairly close to Manchester and have seen the Monarchs up close. King and Nolan have defnly brought something to the table with thier size etc. Quick was there as well...and a Umass local guy. The N.E. area continues to produce many impact NHL players. Just wish the Bruins would scout and draft in thier own backyard a bit more...oh well. BU and BC are NHL factories and are fairly popular...but they do get over-looked / over-shadowed by Boston's pro sports teams.

A good buddy of mine also roomed near Dwayne Roloson while at Umass-Lowell...way back. We had a few shindigs with Rolli...yes we are the same age...ouch! The same goes for Bill guerin while he was at BC.

Thats a few of my College Hockey stories and I'm sticking to them!;)

Also, was anyone else a bit surprised to see Dale Hunter stepdown as Caps coach. He definitely brought and got the message through as far as being tougher, committing more to team defense etc. I wonder if it was too much...a difference in philosophy with management? They definitely matched grit with both the Bruins and Rangers but they got away from thier offensive style. It was nice to see Ovechkin checking everything in site but if I'm a Caps fan I'm ok with him just worrying about the offense and not having his minutes cut.

No. I'm not surprised, he's got a good thing going with the London Knights ownership. Aswell as his family being there. So I am not really surprised to say the least. I did think however he was gonna do atleast 1 Full season.

It's not the last we'll see of him as a coach in the NHL.

No. I'm not surprised, he's got a good thing going with the London Knights ownership. Aswell as his family being there. So I am not really surprised to say the least. I did think however he was gonna do atleast 1 Full season.

It's not the last we'll see of him as a coach in the NHL.

I did follow up and find that the Caps owner likes him, wanted Hunter to coach for sometime and of course wish he had stayed on board. However, Hunter doesn't plan on returning to the NHL and will spend time with his family that owns 2000 acres of farmland in his hometown. Does sound like a good thing going on there for him...as you eluded to.

So who are your Conn Smythe favorites right now?

Dustin Brown has to be the favorite right now - leading the playoffs in +/-, leading goal scorer left in the playoffs, and had the most points out of any player left.

Even with Quick putting up incredible numbers Brown has to be the guy, he is reason #1 why the Kings are destroying teams not just winning 2-1 or 1-0 games, though if Kopitar goes on an absolute tear next few games I can see him surpassing Brown.

Smith is carrying the Coyotes, there's no way you can't have him as your #1 if they make it to the cup.

Brown does have an amazing line though so I think that takes away from him, Lundqvist isn't dominating like he needs too..definitely Quick for #2. I don't see any player earning the spot for the Smythe, all about the goalies this year.

Smith and Doan are fucking babies.

Why? Because you fail to see the obvious Knee on Knee that Dustin Brown dished out that didn't get called in OT?

Obviously there's nothing they can do now, but that was clearly a knee on knee. And if you fail to see it your clearly blind. It's ridiculous that the refs didn't do anything about it.

I can't wait to see what Kerry Fraser has to say about the subject on his blog for TSN.ca

If I was on the ice and I saw my teammate getting hit in the knee like that I'd be cross checking Brown in the teeth.
The Dogs just did the standard hockey scrum.
Tired of these guys being pussies! Make him fucking pay for that shit.

Why? Because you fail to see the obvious Knee on Knee that Dustin Brown dished out that didn't get called in OT?

Obviously there's nothing they can do now, but that was clearly a knee on knee. And if you fail to see it your clearly blind. It's ridiculous that the refs didn't do anything about it.

I can't wait to see what Kerry Fraser has to say about the subject on his blog for TSN.ca

You're blind because Brown didn't stretch or lean in with his knee. Now, was it a late hit? Perhaps.

That said it is one thing to be pissed off for a perceived screw job, but to charge after the ref and look like you're going to slash the ref (not to mention after the game winner is scored going and slashing a player), throwing your stick at the ref, and in the case of Doan cornering him against the boards are things you don't do.

Where's Mcgoo when you need him?

Anyway, it was knee on thigh ... Rozsvidal got hit higher, more in the upper thigh, below the groin area, and anyone that watched the actual replay knows that. I wouldnt call it a dirty hit, Brown was planted and he sure in the hell didn't lead with his knee, his leg didnt even move until after the hit.

perfect view at the 35 second mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
The finals is between the Kings and the Devils, holy shit that's boring. Neither of them are the best team in the league, and both teams play really dull hockey.

If by 'exciting' you mean lots of goals and bad defense, then consider me an admirer of boring hockey.

Nobody of course saw this (finals match-up) coming! However, I'm lookin forward...this actually may be a good finals. Problem is (besides us diehards) nobody will give two shits and watch. Finals ratings may hit an alltime low...not good.

Oh well, many wanting to see the Rangers there...lmfao! Seeing Tortorella and the Rangers take thy shaft of thy stick up thy arse...that made my playoffs!

I don't know who made who look worse lastnite. Brazil 4-1 over USA in a soccer friendly...or Kopitar on his breakaway game winner against Brodeur?