The hockey thread

Playoffs have been very enjoyable and absolutlely bizarre!

Kind of like tonites Rangers / Caps game 5...Rangers on PP tie the game with 6 secs left in reg. Carry over the dbl minor PP into OT and win it! Lucky bastard focks!

At this point seeing the Kings continue thier amazing run and actually winning the whole thing would be kind of cool and just. My hate for the Caps (even after knocking out the Bruins) is far less than all other east teams remaining...so hoping "go Caps" as well.

Quick is doing way better than Lundqvist, and so is Mike Smith..actually Lundqvist is probably the worst goalie out of the 4 left

Quick is doing way better than Lundqvist, and so is Mike Smith..actually Lundqvist is probably the worst goalie out of the 4 left

What?!? He's the best out of the four ... and he definitely wont be eating any goals from center ice like Quick did. Im a Kings fan, but no way im going to say little Jonathan Quick is a better goalie than Lundqvist, because that's just not true.

Man did New Jersey look good early on yesterday ... Rangers have had slow starts like that more than a couple times this pre-season, but Lundqvist always keeps them in the game by shutting it down.

Still though, Kings are looking too good ... They're taking it this year.

It's really not a debate, Quick is doing the best in the postseason and it's quite sad seeing as the Rangers are clearly the best team skill wise...but go Kings/Devils for the Cup

Yes, Quick is doing the best in postseason. I'm praying I'll be back in Cali for the Stanley Cup so I can catch a game at Staples Center again. Don't think I'll get this opportunity ever again! Of course, Kings might not even make it to the Stanley Cup, but if things keep going the way they are going now, it should be an easy sweep :D

LA is going to sweep the Coyotes and get to the finals with only one loss :tickled:

I see the Rangers/Devils series being a long six or seven game war.
^
This is why LA will win it...even though early on I picked the Rangers to win it all. LA is just coasting right thru these playoffs. Rangers are a very physical team but thier opponents have matched it. Even Wash, known more for offense, took alot out the Rangers. The one thing that has really amazed me about the Rangers is thier D's ability to recover and spoil odd-man rushes. Don't know how many times (last series) the Caps had 2 on 1's / 3 on 1's...only to not even get a shot on net.

Quick is playing amazingly well. But neither him or his team have yet to face adversity. They've been killing teams since the post-season started. And while I think they are the favorite for winning the Cup, I wonder how resilient (assuming they make it the Cup Final) they'll be against a NY or NJ team, both of which won't panic if they lose a game or two. LA might very well panic if they find themselves down in any series.

I also wouldn't underestimate Lundqvist or Brodeur, both veterans who'll have the mental toughness advantage over Quick, I'd wager.

Quick is playing amazingly well. But neither him or his team have yet to face adversity. They've been killing teams since the post-season started. And while I think they are the favorite for winning the Cup, I wonder how resilient (assuming they make it the Cup Final) they'll be against a NY or NJ team, both of which won't panic if they lose a game or two. LA might very well panic if they find themselves down in any series.

I also wouldn't underestimate Lundqvist or Brodeur, both veterans who'll have the mental toughness advantage over Quick, I'd wager.

I here ya and definitely something to be said for that. The East team(s) look to have an edge in the intangibles dept. But LA will seemingly be so much fresher than any East team in a finals scenerio. Thats the main reason I see LA being able to win it all. The East teams have been simply killing each other in these playoffs. We all assume the Devils / Rangers series will be a long grueling one but thats no guarantee either. Who knows...it'll be interesting to see.

Lundquist definitely doesn't have mental toughness over Quick, he is a known playoff choker.

And I definitely don't think it can be said that NY has the skill advantage over LA...LA has been the best offensive team in the league since the all-star break.

I don't know about that...Lundqvist seems to be pretty confident and has a damn good defense and team in front of him. I would say Broduer has or will have the edge over any goaltender in mental toughness experience etc...no shocker there. Yes, LA has been a machine offensively and they're much more physical / grittier than perceived.

Also, was anyone else a bit surprised to see Dale Hunter stepdown as Caps coach. He definitely brought and got the message through as far as being tougher, committing more to team defense etc. I wonder if it was too much...a difference in philosophy with management? They definitely matched grit with both the Bruins and Rangers but they got away from thier offensive style. It was nice to see Ovechkin checking everything in site but if I'm a Caps fan I'm ok with him just worrying about the offense and not having his minutes cut.

I here ya and definitely something to be said for that. The East team(s) look to have an edge in the intangibles dept. But LA will seemingly be so much fresher than any East team in a finals scenerio. Thats the main reason I see LA being able to win it all. The East teams have been simply killing each other in these playoffs. We all assume the Devils / Rangers series will be a long grueling one but thats no guarantee either. Who knows...it'll be interesting to see.

Agree on everything right there.

Whoever faces the Kings is going to be pretty beat up.

edit:and while NY has looked much better than LA throughout most of the regular season and are probably a more skilled overall team, LA has definitley been the best team this post season ... they've been playing playoff hockey for the last couple of months.