The hockey thread

I sort of like the moves the Wings have made thus far. Signing Tootoo is the exact kind of thing we needed to do for our bottom six, and I guess bringing in Samuelsson isn't such a horrible thing though I'd prefer new blood to him. Love the Goose signing, should be a good backup for us who can competently fill in to give Howard a proper rest...as for Brunner, has there ever been a good Swiss player in the NHL? Who knows...Babcock seems to love this guy though.

I'm hoping that Parise and Suter make their decisions soon because the tension could be cut with a knife.

I don't see Parise leaving NJD after Brodeur there for two years..why'd you guys let Hudler go? Got nothing at center anymore right? Just Datsyuk?

He wanted too much. He was offered what KH believed to be a fair deal, and he wanted more. If he would have accepted the deal here I would have wanted him back. He scores goals and is a hard worker - two traits this team is sorely lacking in. Biggest knock on him was his lack of size - he simply could be pushed around at will no matter what.

As far as center goes we have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm (who I'd rather be our fourth line center...but whatver), and for some unknown reason they insist on treating Abdelkader as a center.

I imagine our lines will look something like this:

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
Filppula - Zetterberg - Sammy
Brunner - Helm - Cleary
Miller - Abdelkader - Tootoo

Depending on how well Brunner does I can see him being put on the second line in place of Samuelsson, but I'm not entirely sure.

What I'd like to see for that 4th line is Gator - Helm - Tootoo, but that leaves us with a hole on the 3rd line for center and seeing as how I doubt the organization sees someone such as Jarnkrok, Sheahan, or Andersson as ready for the big boy ice.

EDIT: And what I wouldn't mind doing is putting together a trade to get Bobby Ryan from Anaheim. He is a proven goal scorer, right handed shot, big body, etc. It'd take a lot to get him, but I imagine that since they're looking for a #2 center that we could put together a package of Flip + top prospect + a early draft pick and have it be a decent shot - if need be throw in another roster player.

It'd give us a top 6 of

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Ryan
Brunner / Samuelsson - Zetterberg - Franzen

I'm liking that a lot. It takes the immense goal scoring pressure off of Franzen and fills our goal scoring hole.

EDIT: I keep forgetting about Bertuzzi too, though with good reason. I imagine he'll be on the third line though.

as for Brunner, has there ever been a good Swiss player in the NHL? Who knows...Babcock seems to love this guy though.

Mark Streit

I like the moves the Habs have done to make them bigger and tougher, I mean if Colby Armstrong can stay healthy. You've got one hell of a line with Armstrong, Ryan White & Brian Prust. Not to mention Francis Bouillon is back, I can't wait to see that small stature of a man destroy people.

Well, this is going to be a LONG offseason and likely season too.

We lose our two best defenders, our second best goal scorer, and sign scraps to replace them thus far. A sure fire #1 defenseman is available on the FA and KH just cannot get him.

What is left now? Carle? Trade for Yandle? Hope that Kronwall and Ericsson magically become great over the course of the summer? Offer sheet Weber with an offer that Nashville can't match? What is left?

And I'm hearing we're not interested in Semin...

Really? An elite goal scoring talent...and you're not interested? I understand the supposed 'character' issues, but you have Franzen on the worlds longest leash, don't do a damn thing when he floats entire games, doesn't fight for the puck, is generally just lazy ...

but nope Semin is not a 'Red Wings player.' Bullshit. We don't have the ability to be the 'Red Wings' anymore. We need to sign talent, we need to retool and not simply because our immediate future is in jeopardy - because let us be honest this team even with Suter wasn't winning a cup this coming season - but our long term needs are even more glaring now.

KH had better pull a velveteen rabbit out of his ass.

I think next year is go time for them, Backstrom is almost done and so is Koivu, let's see if they can produce. Return of Heatley and maybe finally Setoguchi won't suck? Granlund should make the roster I think too, they have nothing on offense ahha