Official "Sports" thread

Wow, that was really, really, really annoying.

Not the win against Uruguay - I like Holland a lot, and I'm glad they made it to the finals. And Uruguay had a good game, and managed to score 2 goals against them.

No, the annoying part was that I couldn't watch the entire game because I had an appointment to get to, and then a class afterwards. I only had time to watch the first half, and in a really horrible sports bar instead of my beloved coffee shop. So I couldn't even relax and enjoy the game, because I was surrounded by snoots and dipsy waitstaff. And then I had to head to a meeting, and then my art class. On the bus. And because I had no time to go home in between any of this, I had to haul some 15 lbs of art supplies around with me all day. I'm just exhausted.

Of course, tomorrow's game is against two teams I barely care about, and tomorrow I also have nothing to do. So I'll relax and watch it in bed with some tea.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing Uruguay again, and to definitely root for Holland in the Final!

Haha getting tired due to the carrying of art supplies reminds me of my girlfirend, always carrying a million things hahaha.

It's not cool anymore to speak of Germanic blood, you know? :D
And "duits" does not mean "Germanic". And it's their first stanza and it goes on like "I have always honoured the king of Spain". So, without historical context it's like "Well, I don't wanna mention which nation this hymn is for, yet, but there are other great countries" :D
But back then things were differnt and "duits" reffered to more than just what is German today.

Anyways, this thread's about sport.

Tour de France has just started. Anyone into it? I'm not.

It's OK to say Germanic blood, it's a matter of perspective. But if I continue I'll start a "It's very hard to be a proud German nowadays because they'll mistake you for a Nazi" thread. "Duits" are Germanic, even if they're not "German" per se, but they're still Germanic. Just like the English, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, etc. They're all Germanic.

If I wasn't German I'd root for the Netherlands because of my bold heart that is always for the outsiders and wants them to win who've never won before =) :rofl:

Good on you.

Defiance said:
It's OK to say Germanic blood, it's a matter of perspective. But if I continue I'll start a "It's very hard to be a proud German nowadays because they'll mistake you for a Nazi" thread. "Duits" are Germanic, even if they're not "German" per se, but they're still Germanic. Just like the English, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, etc. They're all Germanic.

Eh, I think that saying Germanic blood is a mischaracterization, particularly given the international character of the German team (and a bit on the Dutch team as well). Also, I don't think anyone who isn't a into eugenics really talks about "Germanic blood" because it implies genetic separation, which a simple understanding of genetics basically puts the kaibash on.

I'm cheering for the Netherlands because they've never won before (and my sister lives in Holland)! :)

yes, that would be fair and a great conquest for the team. i think they deserve it!
but i would be happy also if germany wins, it's a strong team.

No, it's rubbish. Just because the part of Europe nowadays called Germany has always been a melting pot of different culteres: Germanic, Celtic, Slavonic, Baltic and what else. It's just 19th century neo classical envy.
But I don't wanna start this discussion in here. This thread's about sports. If you want to discuss, we can go on in the Frostblast or so :D

Regarding today's play: Spain was undoubtfully the better team. Congrats to them. But we don't have to fall down in shame either. We have a young team and noone had even imagined us to come that far beforehand. Everyone was like "Oh, no Ballack, Löw constructe such a bad team" but hey! We made it to the semi finals and that's great.
Now there's two teams that have never been champion before playing for championchip. :)

Regarding today's play: Spain was undoubtfully the better team. Congrats to them. But we don't have to fall down in shame either. We have a young team and noone had even imagined us to come that far beforehand. Everyone was like "Oh, no Ballack, Löw constructe such a bad team" but hey! We made it to the semi finals and that's great.
Now there's two teams that have never been champion before playing for championchip. :)

I'm very disappointed with Germany. Why did they play like that? They played defence the entire match, and rarely attacked. I'm quite mad, that's not the team I watched in the other games.

I'm glad España won, it's a well-deserved victory! Just as I was doing since the beginning of the cup (with the exception of this game, obviously), I will root for España in the final match. If their defence is solid, they can easily win against Nederlanden.

I just want to point out again that, while I'm sad that Germany is out, I actually was completely right in my analysis! I'm really good at this, I think I should work for a newspaper or TV station or something. Germany was a good team, but this shows just how hollow the Argentina victories were and just how bad England and Australia really were. In the end I anticipated that Germany would fall apart against the Netherlands, but I guess Spain really did have their number. Instead, Spain went on the offense and played good enough defense that the German team wasn't given the kind of leeway they had against worse teams (see: England, Argentina and Australia).

I'll be pleased in the end if the Netherlands can pull it off (that's the ultimate outcome for me), but either way a new country wins it this year and that counts as an Upset Cup 2010 win!

Did you guys know, we have a kraken oracle called Paul who has always been right (except for one time) with all his fortune tellings about the German games? And he told that Spain was going to win beforehand. :D

But now everyone hates him :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah my room mate keeps going on about that, I think it's pretty silly that people actually believe in that. :lol:

Did you guys know, we have a kraken oracle called Paul who has always been right (except for one time) with all his fortune tellings about the German games? And he told that Spain was going to win beforehand. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAEmJfbheyY

But now everyone hates him :D

Yes, it's all that damn "Tintenfisch's" fault! It was all over the news here :rolleyes:.

Hahaha!

Turns out I won't be able to watch my beloved Uruguay play live tomorrow...as I'm back in school! I had another meeting with some Employment 'Return to Work' people, and they set me up to continue taking the Programming classes I was taking before - and I may qualify for a government stipend to help finish the classes! However, due to the lateness in registering, the only class session open for me is on a Saturday morning - so I will be leaving my house every morning at 6:30 am to go to class. And the class starts TOMORROW!! But, it's only for 8 weeks, and then I should be able to get into further classes that have a better start time!

So, yeah. I'll miss Uruguay, but if I can pull this Programming Certificate off, I'll be able to get much better jobs in the future. I think this is a good tradeoff!

Oh, I am really, really, really looking forward to this weekend. Hopefully Germany will pound Uruguay and it's band of diving divers and then Holland will defy the odds and show that they're scrappy enough, talented enough and ... orange enough to beat Spain.

Let me reiterate, I think Germany was overpuffed and I think that the Netherlands is being underrated because their game hasn't been pretty. But they've won 15 competition matches in a row and 25 matches in a row in general. They're not sluffs.

Either way, a new team wins. That'll be pretty cool!

Hahaha!

Turns out I won't be able to watch my beloved Uruguay play live tomorrow...as I'm back in school! I had another meeting with some Employment 'Return to Work' people, and they set me up to continue taking the Programming classes I was taking before - and I may qualify for a government stipend to help finish the classes! However, due to the lateness in registering, the only class session open for me is on a Saturday morning - so I will be leaving my house every morning at 6:30 am to go to class. And the class starts TOMORROW!! But, it's only for 8 weeks, and then I should be able to get into further classes that have a better start time!

So, yeah. I'll miss Uruguay, but if I can pull this Programming Certificate off, I'll be able to get much better jobs in the future. I think this is a good tradeoff!

Ah classes on Sunday? Not so nice, but I'm sure it's worth it.

Oh, I am really, really, really looking forward to this weekend. Hopefully Germany will pound Uruguay and it's band of diving divers and then Holland will defy the odds and show that they're scrappy enough, talented enough and ... orange enough to beat Spain.

Let me reiterate, I think Germany was overpuffed and I think that the Netherlands is being underrated because their game hasn't been pretty. But they've won 15 competition matches in a row and 25 matches in a row in general. They're not sluffs.

Either way, a new team wins. That'll be pretty cool!

I don't really think Deutschland was "over-puffed" (hehe), they're a good team. I seriously don't know what the bloody heck happened against España. Again, damn Tintenfisch.

It's interesting because even El Prínicipe Carlos de España wants to move the "pulpo" to España. They consider him a hero now :p , and some people are a "tad" afraid he will be devoured by angry German fans (hahaha :lol:).

Nederlanden doesn't play beautifully, I agree, but they're certainly a great team! I'll probably be rooting for España, but I like Nederlanden too. So maybe I'll root for both! Hehe. It should be an interesting match, with two teams that were not expected to get to the final (I knew España was going to get far, but not this far).

GO… Both teams! :kickass:

PS: I don't want to watch tomorrow's game, I'm scared that Deutschland might lose :( . But I hope they wipe the floor with Uruguay! :p

Ah classes on Sunday? Not so nice, but I'm sure it's worth it.

No, it's a class on a Saturday.

But still. I will miss Uruguay giving Germany a lesson on how to play soccer :loco: Ultimately, it'll be worth it, and I'll be able to watch the game tomorrow night on the replays. And, I have the World Cup app on my phone, so I'll be checking scores in between learning how to code my very own baby API or something.

GO URUGUAY! AND GO NETHERLANDS!

No, it's a class on a Saturday.

But still. I will miss Uruguay giving Germany a lesson on how to play soccer :loco: Ultimately, it'll be worth it, and I'll be able to watch the game tomorrow night on the replays. And, I have the World Cup app on my phone, so I'll be checking scores in between learning how to code my very own baby API or something.

GO URUGUAY! AND GO NETHERLANDS!

Ah OK. I've been taking my M.A. classes on Saturday for three years now. I got used to it, but it's very demanding because I've got classes on Friday at night too. The Uni is also a bit "far", so I get home at around 21:30 and have to wake up at 5:00 to be back at the Uni again at 7:00.

You can also try www.footyfire.com , but you'll be distracted and yell "goooaaaal!" when someone scores. Then everyone will look at you and think "what is she doing…?" . So better stay with the APP.

I don't really think Deutschland was "over-puffed" (hehe), they're a good team. I seriously don't know what the bloody heck happened against España. Again, damn Tintenfisch.

It's interesting because even El Prínicipe Carlos de España wants to move the "pulpo" to España. They consider him a hero now :p , and some people are a "tad" afraid he will be devoured by angry German fans (hahaha :lol:).

Nederlanden doesn't play beautifully, I agree, but they're certainly a great team! I'll probably be rooting for España, but I like Nederlanden too. So maybe I'll root for both! Hehe. It should be an interesting match, with two teams that were not expected to get to the final (I knew España was going to get far, but not this far).

GO… Both teams! :kickass:

PS: I don't want to watch tomorrow's game, I'm scared that Deutschland might lose :( . But I hope they wipe the floor with Uruguay! :p

I think I've maybe come off as a bit critical (like I'm saying that there isn't a good team). I'm not saying that Germany didn't play well, because by God they've played well. I mean, they pounded Australia, England and Argentina. They gave them real ass whippings.

That said: Australia, England and Argentina were all poor defensive teams. Argentina became demoralized after the second goal and basically gave up and the Germans played effective defense, but they weren't the immortal team that everyone thought that they were. So when Spain, who had not really played impressive football up until that point, showed up and were able to shut down Germany's offense (I think missing Müller didn't help either since he was the most creative player in the midfield) I wasn't *surprised* because I hadn't thought that Germany had proven much except that they were exceptionally good at poking holes in shoddy defenses of less organized teams. See?

And the Germans were over-puffed. All my German friends on facebook were going on about how they were untouchable and blah blah blah. Interestingly, they kinda switched places with the Netherlands this time around: impressing with their total football approach and then falling flat on their face, while Holland has played ugly but effective football.

Hopefully ugly and effective wins the race. ;) :D

Spain has won ugly, too. Actually Spain hasn't really whupped anyone yet. So I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty gritty finals. And a real dive-fest. Both these teams loooooooooooooooooooooooove to fucken fall all over the place.

But they're also the two most composed teams in the cup. The Dutch were down against Brazil, and came back to win. That takes some testicular fortitude, and Spain probably won't be able to win against them by just getting the first goal. They're going to need to finish a lot better if they're to win the cup for the first time.

I think I've maybe come off as a bit critical (like I'm saying that there isn't a good team). I'm not saying that Germany didn't play well, because by God they've played well. I mean, they pounded Australia, England and Argentina. They gave them real ass whippings.

That said: Australia, England and Argentina were all poor defensive teams. Argentina became demoralized after the second goal and basically gave up and the Germans played effective defense, but they weren't the immortal team that everyone thought that they were. So when Spain, who had not really played impressive football up until that point, showed up and were able to shut down Germany's offense (I think missing Müller didn't help either since he was the most creative player in the midfield) I wasn't *surprised* because I hadn't thought that Germany had proven much except that they were exceptionally good at poking holes in shoddy defenses of less organized teams. See?

And the Germans were over-puffed. All my German friends on facebook were going on about how they were untouchable and blah blah blah. Interestingly, they kinda switched places with the Netherlands this time around: impressing with their total football approach and then falling flat on their face, while Holland has played ugly but effective football.

Hopefully ugly and effective wins the race. ;) :D

I understand, and I guess I agree. They didn't have difficult opponents, so I guess it's natural they'd lose when they had to play against a "real" team. I never thought they were untouchable, but I did think they could do much better against España.

Spain has won ugly, too. Actually Spain hasn't really whupped anyone yet. So I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty gritty finals. And a real dive-fest. Both these teams loooooooooooooooooooooooove to fucken fall all over the place.

But they're also the two most composed teams in the cup. The Dutch were down against Brazil, and came back to win. That takes some testicular fortitude, and Spain probably won't be able to win against them by just getting the first goal. They're going to need to finish a lot better if they're to win the cup for the first time.

Hahahaha "testicular fortitude"! Yeah, obviously both teams will have to give their best. Deutschland vs Uruguay is about to start.