The World Cup 2014 Official Thread

I figured Milton could use something peppy that's inspired by his homeland right about now. Here you go, bud:

Last edited by a moderator:
Milton, 5 years ago you said you'd buy me a beer over our soccer conversations (Costa Rica lowly??). I haven't been to ProgPower since VIII, but I am going this year. But now I feel obligated to buy you a beer! It's the very least I can do! I am still stunned myself the way that match played out.

Milton, 5 years ago you said you'd buy me a beer over our soccer conversations (Costa Rica lowly??). I haven't been to ProgPower since VIII, but I am going this year. But now I feel obligated to buy you a beer! It's the very least I can do! I am still stunned myself the way that match played out.

:lol: I remember that well, and will take you up on it (and buy you one too).

Let's just agree to no German beer, ok? :lol:

I am in shock. Just shock. Not just that Germany beat Brazil, but HOW they beat them. After the second goal, the Selecao just quit. Really, seriously quit. Every time Germany had the ball, the defense just stood there watching. No movement, no going to the ball, nothing. Christ, I've seen more movement at the rail of a packed concert than I saw in Brazil's D. Now, if 1950 is considered a national tragedy in Brazil, what would they call this?

Even Christ was crying. https://twitter.com/World/status/486618460248502272/photo/1

As I told Milt yesterday, I didn't like Brazil's chances coming into this game. Germany has looked very crisp, and Brazil needed more than its share of good fortune to reach this round. And without Neymar and Silva, I thought Germany would handle the home team and advance. But wow. That was crazy.

I am in shock. Just shock. Not just that Germany beat Brazil, but HOW they beat them. After the second goal, the Selecao just quit. Really, seriously quit. Every time Germany had the ball, the defense just stood there watching. No movement, no going to the ball, nothing. Christ, I've seen more movement at the rail of a packed concert than I saw in Brazil's D. Now, if 1950 is considered a national tragedy in Brazil, what would they call this?

Even Christ was crying. https://twitter.com/World/status/486618460248502272/photo/1

You're absolutely right. It's like they went into a mental coma after the second goal and the team just stopped playing.

They looked disorganized tactically, lost in the field. The amount of space they were giving the Germans was unreal. Scolari made the absolute worst choice as far as strategy for that game. He should have played Paulinho and Ramires from the start, left Bernard in the bench and play Henrique instead of Dante (who collapsed under pressure). I think Brazil would have likely lost even with Neymar and Silva, but at least if Silva was there, we wouldn't have been so pathetic defensively. He's not only a great defender, but also a leader who would have at least organized the team tactically alone.

I am 30 years old and this is the 7th world cup that I remember watching (I don't remember 1986 when I was 2). I have seen Brazil win it twice in my lifetime. I also remember very well the day they got eliminated by Argentina in 1990, beaten by France in 98, again in 2006 and Netherlands in 2010. I have never, ever in my life witnessed such a bad Brazilian team play.

1950 *used* to be our darkest chapter in football (yes, football you dicks). 7/8/14 has surpassed that by thousands. I would have rather seen us go down in the final to Argentina (biggest rival) than witness what happened yesterday. It was humiliating to say the least. The biggest humiliation in the history of worldwide professional sports, EVER. I don't think anything can come even close (and don't start talking about college sports, NFL and shit like that to compare - it doesn't come close. We're talking about the global stage here).

I am still kind of numb at what happened. It will take a lot of soul searching for Brazilian football in general to decide where to go from here. It's time for some heads to roll (including the higher ups at CBF), and perhaps get a foreign coach (preferably European) to head the team. Enough of the "Brazilians need a Brazilian coach" bullshit.

Just... wow.

The only thing shocking was how badly Brazil got beat, not that Brazil got beat. Even with Neymar and Silva, I believe Germany would still have won, they have just played better than Brazil has this cup.

Also, while I wanted Germany to win, I didn't want it to be like that.

Luis Felipe Scolari found a note under his pillow last night. The note read:

Irmão;

Agora minha alma pode descansar em paz.

Flavio Costa

The translation is: "Brother, Now my soul can rest in peace."

For those of you who do not know, Mr. Costa was the Gaffer(Head Coach) for the 1950 Brazil Selecao.

Luis Felipe Scolari found a note under his pillow last night. The note read:

Irmão;

Agora minha alma pode descansar em paz.

Flavio Costa

The translation is: "Brother, Now my soul can rest in peace."

For those of you who do not know, Mr. Costa was the Gaffer(Head Coach) for the 1950 Brazil Selecao.

LOFL

The sad part is that Scolari won't be remembered as the coach who brought us the 5th title in 2002. He'll be remembered as the coach of the 7-1 humiliation in 2014.

Brazil's football needs a revolution, and that revolution has a name: Pep Guardiola.

I will say one thing, though... The German players has shown incredible class after the match. The Brazilian people received them with arms wide open, so to speak, and the German squad has been heralded as one of the nicest, most down to Earth team present (when it comes to fan interaction, etc).

They are also in disbelief at how easy it was, how much they didn't think this would ever be conceivable. Some German players were almost uncomfortable talking about it on interviews, most stating that "the people who hosted them so gracefully don't deserve to feel this much pain, and for them we're sorry."

Lucas Podolski posted this (in Portuguese) this morning:

"RESPECT the yellow jersey with all its history and tradition. The football world owes a lot to Brazil, which will always be the country of football.

Winning is a consequence of your hard work. We came down here determined to win. All of us grew up watching Brazil play and the heroes that inspired us come all from here.

Fights in the streets, riots, protesting, etc. will not change anything. When the World Cup is over and we all go home, everything will come back to normal. Much peace and love to this humble, wonderful, honest and hardworking people of a country that I learned to love."

#strengthBrazil #LiftUpYourHead #BrazilIsTradition #RespectSelecao #JogaBonito #BrasilILoveYou #LP10

-Lucas Podolski.

Much, much respect to him and the rest of the German guys.

...suddenly I don't feel so bad, anymore.

Bring it in, Brazil fans.

i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn5a.png