The World Cup Thread

I think Messi is burnt out from the season and only has enough energy for occasional bursts.

I really hope Argentina don't play for the 0-0 and even if they do, my money would be on Germany in the PKs. Neuer is arguably the best keeper in the world while Romero is a backup for his club. Don't be surprised if Neuer takes a PK if it comes it to. He took one and made it in the Champions League final a few years back.

I agree and hope ARG dont hold back and play for a scoreless draw to pks...theres no guarantee winning there either. In the end id prefer to see cpl few goals aside, an entertaining attacking match.

Yeah Messi does seem burnt out. Explain if you would how long of a season was it for a player of his caliber and did it end just prior to the Cup, or did these premier teams take a break during thier season for the WC?

I did a follow up on my "Score" app saw that Barcelona has played 38 total matches and the champions league has had 6 matches thus far. Im assuming Messi has played in almost all of these? If this is just one season it does seem like alot. Idk it's confusing keeping track of these leagues lol.

Messi played far more than that. Total of 46 matches according to transfermarkt, and of course WC matches are not count in this, so 52 matches, plus some friendlies before season started. Clubs in England are often playing about 60 matches per year (League, League Cup, FA Cup, Community Shield, Champions League/Europa League, Club World Cup) so yeah, lot of matches. In lower leagues in England, there are 46 matches in league, but they don't usualy play in Europe.

Yeah Messi does seem burnt out. Explain if you would how long of a season was it for a player of his caliber and did it end just prior to the Cup, or did these premier teams take a break during thier season for the WC?

There are three main tournaments they were involved in.

1. La Liga- the premier league of Spian. The team that earns the most points (3 for a win, 1 for a draw) win the league. 38 games, starts in August and ends in May. Barcelona finished second and were fighting for the title until the last game.

2. Copa Del Rey- this is a knockout tournament involving all the teams from all the leagues in Spain. Teams are randomly matched with each other and play twice-once at each team's stadium. Whoever scores more over the two games advances. Only the final, which is played at a preselected stadium, is a single game. Barcelona made it to the final, but lost.

3. Champions League- basically the World Cup of Club Football. There's a group stage followed by an elimination stage. In the elimination stage, the teams play twice- once at each team's stadium. Whoever scores more advances. Barcelona made it to the quarterfinals.

To give some perspective, Barcelona's season ended on May 17th and Argentina's first World Cup warm up game was June 4th. Basically these players don't get to rest.

Oh and as far as Messi, he played in 30 games, but he also missed several months due to injury. He basically played every game if he was healthy.

Man, PSG's ultra-hyped defense for next season just isn't looking as promising anymore. Hopefully they pick up Di Maria though. That oughta be enough to win the Champions League.

I've missed the last two Brazil games, but apparently Luiz is looking like shit. What the fuck happened to him?

It's mental. He's just lost all discipline. He's making mistakes that child soccer players shouldn't make. For example, yesterday he had a chance to clear a ball for a corner, but instead knocked it behind himself back into the box. It landed right at the foot of a Dutch player who knocked it in for a goal.

Really excited for today's game! I think Germany will win but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Basically every team has sat deep against Argentina. Germany will not do that. That will leave space for Messi. I still think when push comes to shove Germany will get more opportunities and win, but it won't be easy.

Messi gets tournament MVP, seriously? If he was some random no-name player he wouldn't have gotten it. It should have gone to Schweinsteiger or Rodriguez.

Messi gets tournament MVP, seriously? If he was some random no-name player he wouldn't have gotten it. It should have gone to Schweinsteiger or Rodriguez.

It's total bullshit, he literally did nothing in the knockout rounds. If you're not going to give it to a German, at least give it to Rodriguez!

Yeah Germany! It was a hell of a battle, both teams had their chances but Germany's depth came through in the end. The two subs team up for a sublime goal.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how Messi got the golden ball. So you scored against Bosnia, Nigeria and Iran. Congrats. You missed your chances in the final and had no chances in the semi. It was a pity award.

Muller, Kroos or Rodriguez would have been more deserving. Heck, even Robin was more deserving.

Lot of people thinking just this.
What did he do in this tournament to earn that?
The goalies did a great job this time around and it should have gone to almost anyone of them before Messi.
It's like the german team is such a team machine they couldn't pick out one specific player to get the MVP.

Well played Germany.
See you in the 2016 UEFA European Championship.

Good final and a great WC! I really enjoyed watching it, discussing and picking up on a few more things this time around. Thanks, for those who provided me w/ some insight ; ).

ARG had some early clear-cut chances and couldve easily been up a couple...was a bit surprised and excited by this. I knew theyd try pushing the offense, they just failed to bury thier chances. Germany had chances as well, guess i expected this more from GER and thought theyd win decisively tbh. Either way they were very impressive overall throughout the tourney.

Goatse's girlfriend
ann-kathrin-brommel0portada.jpg

Mario-Gotze-girlfriend-Ann-Katrin-photo.jpg