The World Cup Thread

wpid-img_94502419120842.jpeg

wpid-img_94655434960897.jpeg

Germany wins it all.
Want to see Argentina in the final but they ain't gona make it.

Idk, sure both Arg and Neth are more capable and ill be rooting against Germany either way, but i dont see anyone beating Ger. Didnt the Neth have to go to pk's just to barely beat CR...not sure what that says.

I went to the 24/7 bar and I saw the clock say 40:00 and the scoreboard say 5-0 and I was like wot mait. A semi-final solution indeed.

Idk, sure both Arg and Neth are more capable and ill be rooting against Germany either way, but i dont see anyone beating Ger. Didnt the Neth have to go to pk's just to barely beat CR...not sure what that says.

It says Costa Rica play a very strong, aggressive, defense with great goal keeping and an extremely frustrating high line that baited Netherlands into an offsides trap. Germany had a similar challenge vs. Algeria.

I get that...CR was actually a pretty strong team. Atleast they played that way. My way of thinking was if Brasil was a lesser opponent than a would be Arg or Neth, Brasil would atleast make up that difference with emotion, having the home crowd etc. Maybe i put too much stock into that? Yet, seeing what Ger did in that spot...impressive! Arg or Neth should be a tougher challenge in the end with thier overall talent.

Yeah Costa Rica are a very strong defensive team with just enough offense to keep you on your toes. Far from elite, but definitely a difficult team to break down.

Regarding Brazil, you have to keep in mind that for as much of an advantage as the home crowd was with a lead, it was equally a disadvantage when behind. If you haven't looked into Brazil's loss in the 1950 World Cup final you should do so for some context. To this day, those players are not forgiven for losing that game. That's just an insane amount of pressure to know you can essentially be ostracized in your home country for losing a football match. It was obvious that when the second goal went in, the Brazilian players just cracked under the pressure. To Germany's credit, they pounced and annihilated them.

Funny you mention that. On my drive into work i briefly heard discussion about that 50' Cup team. I will definitely look into that story more. Youre correct, there was so much pressure on them on that stage. They really cracked, the flood gates surely opened after that 2nd goal. Would it be safe to say that there may not be a team, a sport, a country that has as much passion and pressure that directly effects a team than Brasil? I cant think of another off the top? Maybe Canada with Olympic hockey?

Funny you mention that. On my drive into work i briefly heard mention about that 50' Cup team. I will definitely look into that story more. Youre correct, there was so much pressure on them on that stage. They really cracked, the flood gates surely opened after that 2nd goal. Would it be safe to say that there may not be a team, a sport, a country that has as much passion and pressure than Brasil? I cant think of another of the top?

The only thing I can think of that comes close is hockey in Russia and Canada.

When Sweden played Brazil in the World Cup final we lost 5-2. Brazilian fans are so spoiled and not used to humiliation that I don't feel a bit sorry for them. The same goes for Germany and Argentina. Holland is another story, they've been so close several times and have produced so many classic players that it's about damn time they get a gold.

It's sad there was no Czech Republic in Brazil. They have got strong national team and they should definitely be there instead of boring Greece.

Brasils nitemare gets even worse lol...me Argentina are thru! Somebody tell me they can beat the machine?

That game was so fucking boring. I really don't get why Argentina can't produce more with all that attacking power. Anyway, it could be a great final. Germany should win if they bring their A game... not gonna lie though, Messi scares the shit out of me.

The first 115 min was Netherlands trying to score a goal.
You don't see Argentina play like that very often.
Won't work against Germany.
We'll see if they have anything (different) to bring in the final. Sure don't look like it. Real crappy football, that was.

It's 80% nervs in the final now. Can they keep it together?
The team with the cool, calm, pros will take this.
The presure on these guys is unreal.
Most, I think, on Argentina.

So what does me ARG play? Is it balls to the wall open up offensively like they are capable of...or hold back like theyve seemingly done throughout the tourney. Play close to the vest and play for pk's, wich could be to thier advantage? I havent a clue. GER may answer all this by simply dictating play and taking hold.

I think Argentina is gonna have to try and score. Germany hasn't been shut out in a meaningful game in 4 years. Banking on shutting them down for two hours just for the crapshoot of penalties (in which Germany are historically excellent) is living on a prayer.

I just think Germany is gonna dominate the play in midfield and dictate the terms of the game. Midfield is Argentina's biggest weakness. Mascherano is a great player, but is more of a defensive midfielder. They lack a true creator in midfield, which is why I think they haven't got more out of their strikers.

On the other hand, Germany's midfield is excellent. The trio of Khederia, Schweinsteiger and Kroos in midfield for Germany is just ridiculous. Schweinsteiger and Khederia were both recovering from injuries when the tournament started, but now they're back in game shape. Then you add in the creativity of Ozil, the unpredictability of Muller, and the striking ability of Klose and it's pretty hard to imagine Germany not breaking through at some point. Still, even with that advantage it's such a difficult balancing act. How many players do you want to push forward, because Argentina can kill on the counter attack.

I'm picking Germany 3-1. Perhaps I'm being a little optimistic with the goal numbers, but I think if Germany score in the first half, Argentina will have to push in the second half, which could lead to a more open game, which ultimately plays into Germany's hands.

So in short you say me ARG has no fookin chance lol.

As i said its GER ftw here. Id like to think ARG will be effective by pushing and counter striking as you mentioned and youd think Messi will be more effective and all out for offense. Last match i never saw such an elite player do so little and stand around as much as Messi did.Yet, in the end i truly believe thier best chance to win is to somehow keep it close and win it w/ thier keeper and on pks.