The World Cup Thread

Assuming that the Netherlands and Argentina win today, you should probably root for the Dutch. They've never won the World Cup, while Germany, Brazil, and Argentina all have won it multiple times.

Personally, I like (or at least tolerate) pretty much every country remaining besides Brazil (although I like David Luiz). If Costa Rica somehow won the whole thing though, it would definitely be one of the biggest Cinderella stories in sports history, up there with the 1980 US Olympic hockey team, etc.

Germany hooked me to soccer during the 2010 World Cup. The energy and creativity they played with was totally mesmerizing and made me appreciate a sport of had never previously paid attention to. Then I started following a lot of the clubs they played for.

I get ya...Germany is and has been a machine! Fun to watch for sure, though i usually root against them.

Not that anyone here gives a shit, but i did one of those ancestry research things a while back found my ancestors originated from Argentina, then they migrated to Italy. There was also a Gentleman who is currently alive in his 70s...he was a solid defender for the Argentine team. No direct ties that i know of, but i do have an uncommon and share his last name...hmmm interesting.

BTW Crimson, what clubs do you follow?

Arsenal in England and Real Madrid in Spain. Bundesliga hasn't been on in America the past few years, so it's kind of hard to follow the teams. Do you follow any clubs?

Efficient win by Argentina today, almost a mirror of Germany's win. The experienced sides know how to get the job done.

Arsenal in England and Real Madrid in Spain. Bundesliga hasn't been on in America the past few years, so it's kind of hard to follow the teams. Do you follow any clubs?

Not really. I was on the Chelsea bandwagon when they won Champions League, but it didn't really stick. I'd like to have an EPL club to follow, but I don't really think I can get serious about any of the "Big 4" (I suppose it's the Big 5 now with Man City's recent success). I guess I'll just have to watch more matches via illegal stream and just see where it takes me (I'd like to do the same thing with Bundesliga too).

I kinda like the Galaxy, but MLS just isn't as entertaining as the top European leagues.

Can you guys fill me in on these Euro premier leagues. Say a team like Real Madrid based in Spain. Does thier league play only consist of other teams within Spain, or will they also face say an English or Italian premier team in league play? Im guessing its within thier own country, but Euro countries are relatively close in proximity...so i wasnt clear on this.

One team i did follow was Liverpool. This was mainly and only because Boston Red Sox owner also own part or all of the Liverpool club. Thus, they had a televised series on my local network that featured all that's Liverpool. From game highlights, training, lockeroom moments, player development and signings. It was very interesting and enjoyable.

Casually will follow the NE Revolution, they are the Buffalo Bills of the MLS...0-4 in title games. Other than that i follow my young daughters travel soccer team...my life is officially over lol.

Can you guys fill me in on these Euro premier leagues. Say a team like Real Madrid based in Spain. Does thier league play only consist of other teams within Spain, or will they also face say an English or Italian premier team in league play? Im guessing its within thier own country, but Euro countries are relatively close in proximity...so i wasnt clear on this

The short answer is both. Each country has its own domestic league. However, the top teams from each league are rewarded by being entered in to a second league called the Champions League, in which they play the best teams from throughout Europe.

This would be a good year to follow Liverpool. They are an up and coming team with no defense and a ton of offense who just made the Champions League for the first time in ages.

Not really. I was on the Chelsea bandwagon when they won Champions League, but it didn't really stick. I'd like to have an EPL club to follow, but I don't really think I can get serious about any of the "Big 4" (I suppose it's the Big 5 now with Man City's recent success). I guess I'll just have to watch more matches via illegal stream and just see where it takes me (I'd like to do the same thing with Bundesliga too).

I kinda like the Galaxy, but MLS just isn't as entertaining as the top European leagues.

If you're looking to stay away from the big name teams, root for Everton. They play a fun, attacking style, have a great manager and some good young players. They're good enough to compete with the big money teams but aren't quite as financially bloated. And Tim Howard's their goalie.

Yeah, them and Tottenham are two I've considered, but I don't think you can just pick a team, you just kind of get drawn to a team. I'll just have to watch a bunch of matches and see what happens. Will be fun.

The short answer is both. Each country has its own domestic league. However, the top teams from each league are rewarded by being entered in to a second league called the Champions League, in which they play the best teams from throughout Europe.

This would be a good year to follow Liverpool. They are an up and coming team with no defense and a ton of offense who just made the Champions League for the first time in ages.

Thats cool...thanks.

Its not like Liverpool is my fave team or anything, but i will definitely be looking into them and all this premier / champions league stuff a bit more. Just discovered that my "The Score" sports app has all these Euro leagues categorized and broken down nicely...so this helps.

You guys watch the Serie A? I used to follow Juventus, good league there but I no longer have that Fox Sports Soccer channel which is a bummer. NBCSports is awesome for EPL games

I track the Serie A table, but that's about it. I find it to be a somewhat slower, more defensive league. Bundesliga is the most balanced league (probably because it's the only league that somewhat enforces Financial Fair Play) but unfortunately it's not on TV until next year. EPL is very exciting and is the easiest league to follow. I do enjoy the style and players in La Liga, but it's a ridiculously unbalanced league.

Yeah, I bet you saw this, but La Liga TV money distribution is crazy
LA_money.gif

I watch only a few games a year. Same with Serie A. It's on slight decline, stadiums are in bad condition, and teams don't have as much money as they used to have. Eredivisie and Ligue 1 are kind of forgotten, but Ligue 1 is quite competitive (of course not the title fight, but CL and EL spots and relegation) and physical, that's why a lot of players go to the Premier League. Eredivisie is, on the other hand, technical, except the best ones the teams are not very good, but there are loads of talented players, and for me it's interesting to watch.
BTW Arsenal fan here

Serie A was definitely my favorite league from when I used to watch. I followed AC Milan religiously for a couple of years until Zlatan left for PSG which is when I started watching them instead. The French league just isn't as fun though. I also watch a shitton of EPL, Arsenal fan as well, although I secretly root for Newcastle on the side. Finally I follow my hometown Malmö FF, but only on the table because the Swedish league is a goddamn waste of time to watch (at least ever since Zlatan left lol).

Finally I follow my hometown Malmö FF, but only on the table because the Swedish league is a goddamn waste of time to watch (at least ever since Zlatan left lol).
You don't attend the home games? I wish I had team like this in my town. My team get relegated this year, stadium is shit and avg. attendance is about 1000 people so atmosphere sucks. And it'll be even worse this season.

I don't live there anymore, but yeah I used to go the games. Now I have the privilege of seeing LA Galaxy :lol:. I went once actually, and it was the worst 90 minutes of football I've ever seen.

How are the fans in there? I mean the whole MLS, not just LA Galaxy - I heard the matches have no atmosphere.

The MLS is hit and miss in regards to the atmosphere at games (not unlike most sports). Teams like the Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, DC United, etc. have excellent fanbases and fun atmospheres, but then you have teams like Chivas USA that have practically zero fans.