The World Cup Thread

So does Algeria have a legit shot to take out Germany?...hope so. Im guessing the US has to somewhat like thier chances against Belgium? Just dont know enough about some of these teams. Looking forward to Sat's matches...be rooting hard for Chile over the hosts and have root for Columbia over f'in Uraguay.

Algeria has close to no chance vs. Germany other than a massive Germany blunder, red card, or something else extreme. Algeria is a far less skilled side than Germany's first three opponents. Their best hope is to defend well and hope for something on the counter-attack, but I highly doubt they can keep Germany shut down for 90 minutes and would not at all be surprised to see this game turn into a landslide.

Belgium have a lot of talented players, but most of them are young and don't have tournament experience. They didn't seem in rhythm in the two games I saw, despite the fact that their competition was really quite low. Belgium is the favorites, but considering US held their own vs. Germany, I would not be the least bit surprised to them pull off the upset.

Round of 16 Predictions... just cuz...

Brazil 3 Chile 1
Colombia 2 Uruguay 0

France 1 Nigeria 0
Germany 3 Algeria 0

Netherlands 2 Mexico 1 (extra time)
Greece 0 Costa Rica 0 (Greece win on penalties)

Argentina 4 Switzerland 1
USA 1 Belgium 0

Pretty much agree except I think Uruguay will beat Colombia and I think Costa Rica will penetrate and inseminate Greece's defense for the victory.

I agree on Costa Rica but I wouldn't be surprised at a Chile upset. Sure there is some drama there, should be some awesome games.

Brazil 2 Chile 1 (extra time)
Columbia 1 Uraguay 0

France 3 Nigeria 0
Germany 2 Algeria 0

Netherlands 3 Mexico 2 (extra time)
Costa Rica 2 Greece 0

Argentina 2 Switzerland 1
US 2 Belgium 2 (US wins on Penalties)

I hope Costa Rica win and I think they're the better team, but I just have a terrible feeling this Greece team is somehow gonna steal another game with their anti-football tactics.

Chile could definitely pull off the upset. They've got the firepower and Brazil has been unimpressive in defense. Still, I think Brazil will make Chile pay for their aggression. Should be a great match either way.

Good stuff...i cant wait.

Would you say Germany, the Netherlands and Brasil are probably clear above the rest of field...or do you see one of them being a singular fave above all?

I wonder if the US having played in thier so called tough group, tough conditions etc, will they be worn out or more battle tested tough for whats to come?

I don't think there's a clear favorite in this tournament. In 2010 Spain was nearly impossible to break down (2 goals allowed the entire tournament) which made them the obvious favorites, but there are no teams like that this time out. I would add Argentina to the three teams you listed, but none of those four teams are good enough in defense to be head and shoulders above the rest. I wouldn't be shocked if France or Colombia ended up in the finals either.

Netherlands are perhaps the slight favorites simply because their draw is fairly easy. Their path to the semis includes Mexico and Greece/Costa Rica. Mexico is playing well, but I would take that in a heartbeat.

On the other hand Germany is looking at an extremely tough matchup with France in the quarters and likewise Brazil is gotta beat Chile and then either Colombia or Uruguay. And those South American teams are used to playing Brazil. They're not afraid of them in the least. They'll be playing with great fan support and nothing to lose, while Brazil will have all the pressure in the world on them.

Looks like I'm gonna have to eat my words on the Uruguay match-up. They are getting fucked.

Damn it, Chile almost did it. Crossbar hit at the end of extra time holy crap. The PKs had everything.

Man i hope youre right...would love to see Columbia beat the hosts. Columbia is fun to watch for sure. That first Rodriguez goal was a pure gem. Before the ball arived you could see him (in replay) planning to turn and direct the ball. To play ball off chest, turn and deliver a shot without the ball even touchn the pitch in the process was pretty awesome.

wow i thought the beaners would actually kick the dutch out

edit: i was rooting for the netherlands but looking at the replays robben kind of looks like a diving faggot

wow i thought the beaners would actually kick the dutch out

edit: i was rooting for the netherlands but looking at the replays robben kind of looks like a diving faggot

Robben always looks like that. He can handle the football like few others, but the man has a severe problem with gravity. I'd like to see him get some fines and bans for his behavior, he's really one of the worst divers out there, but no one is doing anything about it.

Re Mexico: Yes they were robbed. Robben is a disgrace. The sad part is he's talented enough to possibly score in that scenario but chooses to dive cuz he knows the refs will give it to him.

Re Greece: Yes thank god they are out. What a boring team to watch.

Round of 16 Predictions... just cuz...

Brazil 3 Chile 1
Colombia 2 Uruguay 0

France 1 Nigeria 0
Germany 3 Algeria 0

Netherlands 2 Mexico 1 (extra time)
Greece 0 Costa Rica 0 (Greece win on penalties)

Argentina 4 Switzerland 1
USA 1 Belgium 0

3 out of 4 so far. Nailed the exact score on two games and predicted penalties between Greece and Costa Rica.

This is why they need to rehaul the reffing system. They have no problem letting much harder fouls go during matches and its "play on", yet they cave and give into these dives in the box. Stay true to the "play on" moments and give cards to players who dive...its the only way to fix and rid of the problem.

Germany is interesting so explosive at times, but definitely frail at the back. And I wonder if they will consider starting Klose. .

Lahm - Hummels - Mertesacker - Boateng is still a better backline than that of most teams currently competing in the World Cup.

All very good players, but Lahm is playing holding midfield and the backline is all centerbacks (Howedes is the 4th defender). Boateng is actually doing a really good job of getting forward and delivering crosses. However, I'm worried about their pace tracking back on the counter and their ability to hold up against quick, twitchy players out wide. If they win today, they will definitely face those kinds of players in the following games.

Would you say Germany, the Netherlands and Brasil are probably clear above the rest of field...or do you see one of them being a singular fave above all?

I'd say France, Germany and NL are the top three at the moment. Brazil haven't really impressed at all so far, they have Neymar alone to thank for coming this far, like with Messi and Argentina.