The World Cup Thread

Yeah that game was insane, but I feel like I say that everyday. I can't get over how good this tournament is.

So if US and Germany draw 0-0, both teams advance. Any chance the two teams spend the 90 minutes working on their midfield passing? At the very least, I would expect both teams to play it conservative, knowing that a draw is enough to get them through. However, since Germany have such a huge advantage on goal differential, they might be brave and go for the kill.

Germany should allow a draw out of respect to Klinsmann IMO. Respect your elders.

Yeah that game was insane, but I feel like I say that everyday. I can't get over how good this tournament is

Yeah its been great. Ive even found myself listening to random games on my drive home from work...never did that shit before lol. Really looking forward to the Netherlands v Chile match.

Thrilled im off of work tue when Italy faces Uraguay. Im planning on going into Bostons Northend district to watch match, as I did to see Italy's consecutive matches in the 94 Cup when Italy made it to the finals...the famous Baggio missed penalty kick. Was an Incredible atmosphere. Brazil defeated Italy in PKs. Believe it was the highest attended WC and considered to be one of the best ever.

Unfuckinbelievable!

For all the spectacular matches ive witness so far in this world cup...todays match was a dreadful disgrace for the sport. The style of play itself along with the refs, calls and contraversy...bogus. How the Italian player gets a red card ill never know, man down for the rest of the match and seemingly ended Italys working plan for a draw. Shame on them in the end for losing to a Uraguay team that Italy shouldve attacked and beaten handily imo. Italys new coach and plan was suppose to be different this world cup, yet again i see the same too conservative uninspired squad!

Today was the worst day of the tournament, for sure. Both Italy and Uruguay played terrible football today. Tons of penalty, little attack, lots of ugly fouls. And now Uruguay make it through, but Suarez is sure to be suspended. Uruguay without Suarez will basically be dog meat for Colombia.

Then, to make matters worse, Greece, one of the worst teams in the tournament, somehow make it through. Fuck Ivory Coast for playing such terrible defense at the end. They were so ridiculously soft and were just letting Greece get it up the field. And somehow, either Greece or Costa Rica are gonna be in the final 8.

Today was the worst day of the tournament, for sure. Both Italy and Uruguay played terrible football today. Tons of penalty, little attack, lots of ugly fouls. And now Uruguay make it through, but Suarez is sure to be suspended. Uruguay without Suarez will basically be dog meat for Colombia.

Then, to make matters worse, Greece, one of the worst teams in the tournament, somehow make it through. Fuck Ivory Coast for playing such terrible defense at the end. They were so ridiculously soft and were just letting Greece get it up the field. And somehow, either Greece or Costa Rica are gonna be in the final 8.

No way, Colombia is easily the underdog against Uruguay. Maybe they'd have a strong chance if they had Falcao, but that's not the case. I'd be very surprised if Colombia won.

No way, Colombia is easily the underdog against Uruguay. Maybe they'd have a strong chance if they had Falcao, but that's not the case. I'd be very surprised if Colombia won.

Colombia were better in qualification and they've been better in the Cup. Uruguay have two superstars, but top to bottom, Colombia is the stronger side and are playing at a much higher level. Let's not forget Suarez will probably be banned.

Well I didn't follow the South American qualification lol, but it's difficult to compare their group stage efforts considering the vastly different groups they were placed in. Having said that, I'll agree the Colombians have been more impressive, but we haven't seen them play anyone of particular danger tbh.

Yeah, Suarez will be out, but on paper Uruguay has the stronger individual team. Look at everyone they have, almost entirely starting 11s at top clubs in Europe. Sure Colombia have a few as well, but nowhere near as many.

I dont know enuff about all the qualifying and who plays on what premier team / league, but it looks to me that Columbia is the better squad. Its cliche' but this tourney seems to be about rising to the ocassion and playing as one inspired unit (ah-hem Italy & Spain) ...not necessarily about puttng together allstar squads. The US is far from having the most talent but seem to be totally committed to buying into Klinsman system and gettong the most out of what they have. And id give a bit more credit to squads like Coata Rica for what they are doing.

Yeah you're totally right, just look at Argentina. One of the most stacked, if not THE most stacked team in the cup, yet they are performing pretty damn sub-par. Despite that, they'd still be considered the favorites against a team like Costa Rica purely due to their potential. I do think we're going to see very different performances from all the big teams in the knockout stages because the pressure is so different. Except for France. I have a weird feeling they will choke.

Also what's up with this Suarez "investigation"? He should already have received his ban, but everywhere you go they are calling it an "apparent" bite. What, did Chiellini have pre-made marks and just hoped Suarez would lean in and put his face on his shoulder? Give me a fucking break, we have overwhelming evidence, just take a fucking look at the replay and remember his unquenched thirst for human flesh.

Even if they say Suarez didn't actually bite him, Suarez should still get banned. Hell, if Suarez did nothing but lick him (even though it's obvious he bit), he should still get banned, as doing anything like that is gross, unsanitary, and unsportsmanlike.

Hm, so apparently he's been charged with assaulting a player and has another 30 min (til 1pm western) to respond to the charges.

apparently german women like black dick, team usa has 5 german-americans and 4 of them look black

Yeah that game was insane, but I feel like I say that everyday. I can't get over how good this tournament is.

So if US and Germany draw 0-0, both teams advance. Any chance the two teams spend the 90 minutes working on their midfield passing? At the very least, I would expect both teams to play it conservative, knowing that a draw is enough to get them through. However, since Germany have such a huge advantage on goal differential, they might be brave and go for the kill.

I wanna see a Germany-Belgium match, so hopefully the US wins. (Plus the US would get either Russia or Algeria, and I like our chances against either of those teams.)

Welp, didn't win that won, but on to the ROUND OF 16! Bring on Belgium (or maybe Algeria)! Too bad I'll probably have to root against Eden Hazard.

I actually thought the US did pretty well today, considering who they were facing. They definitely deserve to go through. 4 points a 0 goal differential is no small feat in this group.

Germany is interesting so explosive at times, but definitely frail at the back. And I wonder if they will consider starting Klose. They definitely have a sharper attack with him in there. But he might only be a 45 minute player at this point.

So does Algeria have a legit shot to take out Germany?...hope so. Im guessing the US has to somewhat like thier chances against Belgium? Just dont know enough about some of these teams. Looking forward to Sat's matches...be rooting hard for Chile over the hosts and have to root for Columbia over f'in Uraguay.