The World Cup Thread

Fuck, that Altidore injury didn't look good.

Really happy to see Germany slaughter Portugal. Muller with that hatty!

I missed the Netherlands game, but out of everyone I've seen so far, Germany looks like the best side. There's just an excellent combination of creativity and calculation to their play and the way their passes build upon each other is just beautiful to watch. I love what they did with the stikerless system. When you have that many midfielders who can score, it just makes sense.

I was secretly rooting for Ghana, but yeah thats cool US won too.

Haha, they are the more entertaining side to watch, that's for sure.

Things are actually looking pretty good for the US. Even a draw vs. Portugal and a respectable loss to Germany will probably be enough for 2nd place.

I'm a Kevin Prince Boateng fan so I was also secretly rooting for Ghana, but I'm always glad to see USA win so football gets more widespread here. It sure as hell needs it so the MLS eventually can be worth watching.

That Mexico-Brazil game was a perfect example of how you don't need goals for a thrilling soccer match. Mexico's goalie was out of his mind good. And Brazil have thoroughly disappointed so far; they're lucky to not just have 2 points.

^
Sure that was a good match and thrilling at times with the quality scoring attempts and quality key saves as we saw, yet in the end no goals. A thrilling goal is better than a thrilling save...the sport needs more goals! This World Cup has been good due to the fact that the majority of matches have had numerous goals and thrilling / quality play at the same time. I want to see players like Neymar and team Brasil score, not get shut-out. This from a fan who wants to see Brasil fail. Ill take the Netherlands v Australia 3-2 type all day long.

Sweet dreams Spain lol, 1 goal in two matches...not thrilling at all.

I'm not saying 0-0 is more exciting than 3-2, but I am saying that a good, with quality defense and goal-tending can be a nailbiting thrill. It's sorta like watching a boxing match where both guys are goong for the knockout blow. Even if it goes to points, it can still be fun watching it get there.

Loved watching Suarez punk England today. England fans annoy the fuck out of me. You would think their team had actually accomplished something with the way they talk about them. Really hope Uruguay finds away to get through. They're really entertaining with those two world class strikers.

I get where ur coming from. I was put off with the "you dont need goals" comment. The Brasil 0-0 match is / was more the rare as far as thrillers with no goal(s) games go. Youre correct and i did appreciate those nailbiting moments. If we could see those type games with a goal or two then it would be magical.

Agree with the England sentiments. Now they need tons of help from Italy and find it funny to hear Balotelli's comments that he wants a kiss on the cheek from the Queen if Italy's wins help England advance lol.

Holy crap Ivory Coasts Gervinhos goal was insane.

Yeah I'm hoping Uruguay can at least scrap out a draw vs. Italy, because I'm pretty sure Italy and England are beating Costa Rica.

Gervinho's goal was excellent.

Greece needs to banned from playing international football. They are so fucking boring...

So Spain won't get out of the group, England most probably won't either, and Italy will have plenty of trouble with Uruguay. I dig all that.

My favorite teams so far are Netherlands and Germany. And now I'll watch a little bit of the France game to see how they're doing.

Actually England is already eliminated. They can't get out of the group anymore, which is gonna make the Italy vs Uruguay match even more intense.

See Crims two teams that may normally and could easily draw nil- HON v ECU 3 goals and very thrilling! ;).

Damn it Italy, i called out of work sick to watch that...frustrating. I get how Italy looks for Balotelli middle strike but they need to look more to Candreva and Marchisio on the edges wich allows more pressure and creativity for them and leads to more chances for Bolatelli in the end. Credit to Costa Rica, they have beaten two heavyweights and in good fashion...nothing flukie about it. They are a team i could easily root for as far as darkhorses go.

Very impressed by Costa Rica. Not only have they won both of their games, they clearly outplayed both Italy and Uruguay. They definitely have earned a place in the final 16. That Italy v. Uruguay game should be awesome, especially since Uruguay will have to go for the win.

And France is on fire. Granted, they have a ridiculously easy group (I wish they did a better job of evenly distributing the talent) but 8 goals in 2 games is impressive no matter how you cut it. And the quality of some of the goals have been very high.

Yeah Argentina have no chemistry or creativity, despite an insane amount of pure talent. Lots of possession but everything was predictable. Saved by a great moment from the best player in the world.

Iran really played a great game. This is a team composed of guys from B league teams and they really played well enough to earn the draw. There was clear foul in the box by Argentina and the ref didn't call it.

Yeah, so close to a draw for Iran...that wouldve been monumental for them.

Germany v Ghana was a spectacular match. The frequence of counter chances was unreal. It ended w/ two players layed out in the box with the German players face covered in blood.

The draw today allows a chance for the US to advance with a win tmrrw v Portugal. A huge oppurtunity for the US team. Interesting to see if they rise to the moment that could have a major positive impact on the fate or future of the US team, its fans and soccer in general in the US.

I want the WC every two years...make it work!

Yeah, so close to a draw for Iran...that wouldve been monumental for them.

Germany v Ghana was a spectacular match. The frequence of counter chances was unreal. It ended w/ two players layed out in the box with the German players face covered in blood.

The draw today allows a chance for the US to advance with a win tmrrw v Portugal. A huge oppurtunity for the US team. Interesting to see if they rise to the moment that could have a major positive impact on the fate or future of the US team, its fans and soccer in general in the US.

Ghana-Germany was the game of the tournament so far. Both teams looked utterly drained at the end of that game. Ghana is a really good side. They are very unfortunate to only have 1 point.

I want the WC every two years...make it work!

The Euros is as good, if not a better, tournament. The quality of play is really high and there's very few filler teams (though that might change now that they're expanding from 16 to 24).

Copa America can be a little dull during the group stage, but the elimination stage is usually really good.

True, i needed to remind myself of this, the Euros fills the gap nicely and is great on its own right.

Man, the US were so close today, but will need to advance the hard way it seems. Overall i liked how they played and answered the bell in a "big stage" setting.