The Worst of Iron Maiden

Mark that is what I thought, and why Total Eclipse was unable to be on the album, but if he didn't write for it, and perhaps even did write for other tracks but wasn't credited, it makes no sense. I wonder whether he co-wrote any of those other songs, or perhaps just had more of a hand in say altering a vocal melody or some lyrics, than he did in the other songs on the album. Interesting!

Well, as far as I can think he just wasn't able to be credited; I highly doubt Bruce wouldn't stick his nose in on the song-writing process as soon as he was on board :)

I agree that TXF could have been a tad shorter and there are a couple of weaker tracks on there (as with most Maiden albums), but the quality of the good stuff still lends it to being one of their strongest albums IMO.

I think this is largely the problem with how Blaze was recieved. People had expectations, and when the choice of vocalist was of a different style to peoples expectations, the guy never had a real chance no matter what they did. They even came up with their best album in many many years, and people still didn't give it the time of day. A real shame that fans couldn't take it for what it was.

Honestly, I can't see TXF being a better album with any of the mentioned power metal style singers on it (Doogie White was another finalist of consideration I believe). Blaze's dark and brooding performance perfectly matches the mood of the album, which I would say was the largest contributer as to why he was chosen, being a Brit probably just helped.

Okay I listened to the two Blaze albums again - twice each. For me to get into them, I have to treat that era of Maiden as a completely different band - if that makes any sense. The music is top-notch, the vocals are good, but not great. If the band had been called "Blaze is Burning" or something other than I.M., with the same exact songs, I'd have bought it and thought it was quite good. A negative IMO is that Blaze has the all-too-often ability to sound mono-tone, especially in his low and mid-low range, which would be my feeling even if he hadn't followed Bruce. On the positive side, he does sound ballzy, which I admire.

The albums are very listenable, with a few songs that are just plain excellent, but over-all these records on the whole are not my faves. "Seventh Son" and "Piece of Mind" still reign as my faves, with "Dance of Death" as a very close 3rd.

As an aside, and this is something I remember thinking upon my first listens many years ago, it's not just Blaze's vox that affect my opinion of the two albums he sang on. I'm a bassist and I am a huge fan of Steve's playing and most of his writing, but Steve was playing alot more in the way of chords and busy-busy parts in soft and heavy spots, which sounds cool when isolated, but can "clutter" pieces, especially in a two guitar band with a third guitar, guitar synth or keys in the background laying down pads or simple rhythms, as is the case with many of the songs on X-Factor. There was a bit of said clutter in this era.

Overall, very good stuff. I certainly have no difficulty recommending them.

Mac - HEDDA

The worst thing about those two albums, but specifically The X Factor, is the production. Imagine how great they'd sound with, say, Andy Sneap - the only man who has ever seemed to know how to get the best out of Blaze (although Brendan O'Brien did a great job on Down Fall the Good Guys).

Sneap is indeed an amazing producer, but that said, I think he (and many other producers) would have made TXF sound too polished. I like the dull and dreary sound, as I like Blaze's brooding vocals, as they suit the theme of the album. I think clearer and cleaner production would take away from the material. That said, I am sure it could have been improved upon, I would just hate to hear a remaster or something that takes away from the vibe of it all.
I have always hated how quiet the intro is though. I understand the dramatic effect they were going for when the volume comes in, but really it is just annoying as you have your volume cranked to hear the intro, then need to turn it down because it is too loud. More subtle would have been a winner.

Holy Smoke would be a track I'd add to the 'Worst Of..." I still can't get over the cheesyness of that track, not to mention the video clip. And anything Blaze did with Maiden I still can't listen to. He's a great vocalist, but wasn't the right man for Maiden IMO.

Holy Smoke isn't bad live, it suffered from the production of NPFTD, as did much of the album.
The clip is a weird beast. It is fun for a laugh as it is obviously so tounge in cheek, and I understand them wanting to have fun and let loose after the seriousness of the previous album, but it is SO bad that is almost not so bad it is good, it is beyond that and just bad lol. Still, it gets a laugh everytime I watch it, so it does what it was intending to do.

When I started reading this thread I thought most of my list would consist of songs from the last two albums. After finding out how fond some of you are of them, I've started giving them both an intense re-listen. I'm midway through A Matter Of Life And Death and I'm starting to think that you are right; I've always remembered Brave New World as the best of this decade and an instant classic, but I might have been highly influenced by the reunion factor. AMOLAD sounds a little bit like a continuation of what they started on BNW, but better, except the surprise factor is gone.
Will let you know my conclusions!