The WoY Beer Thread.

Well I guess it's because Tuborg is like Molson: cheap industrial mass produced beer, like other imports like Heineken etc. I'm sure that in Danemark you can get Canadian import beer like Molson. I saw Labatt Blue in Italy a couple of years ago.

Did you know that you can get 24 cans of 500ml Tuborg at Costco for $33cdn?

screw waiting for a reply i say! went out and got supplies for many days off to come
6 Pack of Bowen Island Irish Cream Ale
6 bottle pack of Guinness Draught
a bottle of Christoffel Bier
and
a can of Sapporo

and its not beer but i also got
1 375ml bottle of Gold Schlager
1 375ml bottle of Dr.McGillicuddy Brand Fireball Whiskey
1 375ml bottle of Grey Goose

Went out and blew some cash on a few import beers today.

newbeers220607.jpg

* Red Oak Wee Heavy Ale
* Orval
* Unibroue Trois Pistoles
* Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer

AUD$28 for just that, fuck me dead. The guy at the shop was full of praise for Orval, and I'm quite keen on trappist ales (which is Orval is), so I'm looking forward to that one. And I've been wanting to try some Unibroue stuff for a while now... they definitely have the best-looking labels, that's for sure. :)

i learned something a few days ago. Christoffel bier should be renamed Christ Awful Bier. And Bowen Island Irish Cream Ale is not to my liking

but hey. you win some and you lose some

So far I've only had the Orval and the Red Oak. The Orval was indeed tasty, although not quite as unique as the guy in the store made it out to be. I mean, hell, I'd drink it again any day of the week, don't get me wrong, but I think I'll stick to Chimay for my trappist fix. Belgians rule all-round though. :)

The Red Oak was very sweet and malty... actually all of the Red Oaks have quite an interesting taste, but then again, all of the Red Oaks are also quite light. I prefer something that feels a little more full-bodied if I'm drinking slowly, but overall they're a good brewery.

Anyway, I bought them at Acland Cellars. If you're in St Kilda sometime, drop in there. You'll completely fucking freak out at the import selection they have. :)

So far I've only had the Orval and the Red Oak. The Orval was indeed tasty, although not quite as unique as the guy in the store made it out to be. I mean, hell, I'd drink it again any day of the week, don't get me wrong, but I think I'll stick to Chimay for my trappist fix. Belgians rule all-round though. :)

How much did you pay for the Innis & Gunn? And did you try it yet? It's like no beer I've ever tasted before...

I can't remember how much the Innis & Gunn was. :-\ Probably AU$5 or $6 or so. Regardless, I'll definitely pick up another one next time I go there, it was excellent. I think it's the first beer I've seen with (what looked like) little bits of barley malt floating around instead of the usual yeasty residue. And for a malty beer it was relatively light and refreshing (ahh now I sound like a bloody TV commercial), the aroma and taste were quite distinctive.