Theater of Tragedy?

ToT is a good band, but I liked them better back in the old days when they were more metal than goth. During the years they have become more electronic and goth-like. Live they still kick ass though....

it's a very influent band who has now a lot of clones ... who became far better as ToT
Velvet darkness ... is still a quite good album, but if you know already the sins of thy beloved, after forever, trail of tears or within temptation, you don't have to try this band ...

Okay, first of all, ToT is a band that has gone through a lot of changes. Whether or not one likes those changes, is a matter of taste and I don't get into that. However, here's a brief summary of their albums:

Theatre of Tragedy: Gothic metal in its purest form. Male grunts and a high female voice. The songs are rather unimaginative, except for "...a Distance there Is...", which is a very calm, long song consisting mainly of female vocals, piano and cello.

Velvet Darkness They Fear: Their breakthrough-album. Otherwise similar to the previous one, but this time the songs are great - far better structured and played. An excellent album if you like the contrast between beautifully angelic and horribly demonic.

A Rose for the Dead: A mini-CD with a couple of songs left over from "Velvet..."-sessions, a couple of bad remixes of their old songs and one nice Joy Division -cover. Nothing very special here.

Aégis: The male grunts are almost gone and he sings instead in a low voice. The music with more acoustics is softer, more atmospheric; although a bit more poppish with clear chorus-parts etc. I know many metalheads, who like this album, however (myself included).

Musique: Okay, the "metal" is finally gone and a lot of electronics are brought in. The soundscapes are less "medieval" and more "industrial". The male voice is closer to the original goth-pop and there definitely are no grunts here.

All in all, ToT have very little fans who like all of their albums; instead, their early albums have a decent cult-status in Scandinavia and nothern Europe, while their latest album has gathered a new and different following. I suggest you download some samples from the net and try them for a while, before buying any of their albums.

-Villain

Originally posted by groteZk
ToT is a good band, but I liked them better back in the old days when they were more metal than goth.

Agreed. My favorite ToT album is there self-titlted debut.

ToT are from my hometown here in Norway, Stavanger. The female singer works at my local video store by the way :)
And yes, they are good. I've seen them live a few times and they are indeed spectacular. Funny as hell seeing all 9 members of ToT on the tiny stage of the local venue :)

Originally posted by Villain
Okay, first of all, ToT is a band that has gone through a lot of changes. Whether or not one likes those changes, is a matter of taste and I don't get into that. However, here's a brief summary of their albums: ....etc....

-Villain

Villian, you said everything I would have said! :)
But I don't mind the very early stuff and it is not unimaginative IMO, although "Velvet..." is a more mature offering. The lyrical treatment has always been extremely well thought out and orchestrated for there "Yin-Yang" vocal arrangement. This makes me think of the lyrics for "A Hamlet for a Slothful Vassal". :loco:
This will always be one of my classics.

Originally posted by aegis
it's a very influent band who has now a lot of clones ... who became far better as ToT
Velvet darkness ... is still a quite good album, but if you know already the sins of thy beloved, after forever, trail of tears or within temptation, you don't have to try this band ...

I personally didn't think TSotB offered anything original to this style. But I haven't listened to them for a long while...
It is the same story with a lot of these 'clones' you speak of I think...although I admit I have settled down with ToT and it fulfills all of my whimsical female/male vocal goth metal needs.
:)

By the way, I found it quite amusing that "aegis" is advising that ToT is not worth listening to if you are already familiar with...etc

:D Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Please ignore my rudeness. :)