Thermionik Amp Modeler Plugin by Kazrog LLC

I remember that possibly HM-2 will be on line. Even having it coming on TSE I'd like to see it on Thermionic too.
Hell I'd like have MT-2, because I loved it when I had it, maybe someday I'll have it again. But plugin format would be more convenient for me.

Guys, I'm also working on pedal emulations. It takes a lot of R&D to get each thing right. Quality over quantity. That's why it took me ages to get 25 amps modeled.

So I decided to buy a Thermionik bundle (Modern 1 if I'm correct).

I really like the sound of each amps, but I was wondering if I was alone finding them very dark sounding? Except for the Damage 120, I need to put them all on the "Bright mode". If I don't do that it's just impossible to get a good tone. Once it's done they sound great though. Was just wondering if that's what everybody does anyway?

(I'm using Ownhammer IRs)

So I decided to buy a Thermionik bundle (Modern 1 if I'm correct).

I really like the sound of each amps, but I was wondering if I was alone finding them very dark sounding? (I'm using Ownhammer IRs)
Try Catharsis Spres8 IR. It's working on every amp sim I've used it. I love Recabinet impulses, they sound lively but pretty dark.

are you working in 44kHz or 88kHz? Some time ago it made a difference for me, but I didn´t check the newest updates on that topic

I work in 44kHz. I'm no expert, but I fail to see why it would affect the tone....? Definitely not normal in my opinion that you need to change to 88kHz in order to have a good tone with a plug-in.

Ownhammer impulses are definitely not as fizzy (higher frequencies) as other impulses, so I'll try a different one (Rosen Digital which I think is somewhat fizzy) and see if it helps.

Just finding it weird that I can't leave the amp on its "Normal" setting. For me, Normal doesn't sound normal...

I work in 44kHz. I'm no expert, but I fail to see why it would affect the tone....? Definitely not normal in my opinion that you need to change to 88kHz in order to have a good tone with a plug-in.

There's no need to change your sample rate...

Just finding it weird that I can't leave the amp on its "Normal" setting. For me, Normal doesn't sound normal...

What guitar and pickups are you using? The amp models in Thermionik are designed with painstaking accuracy in mind. Some amp models may sound naturally dark, some may sound naturally bright, most will be somewhere in the middle - it depends on the amp being modeled. For high gain, most amps (both in the real world and in Thermionik) do benefit from a tube screamer pedal in front (or an emulation thereof.) I'll be releasing my own tube screamer emulation pretty soon, but there are some decent free emulations out there in the mean time.

There's no need to change your sample rate...

What guitar and pickups are you using? The amp models in Thermionik are designed with painstaking accuracy in mind. Some amp models may sound naturally dark, some may sound naturally bright, most will be somewhere in the middle - it depends on the amp being modeled. For high gain, most amps (both in the real world and in Thermionik) do benefit from a tube screamer pedal in front (or an emulation thereof.) I'll be releasing my own tube screamer emulation pretty soon, but there are some decent free emulations out there in the mean time.

Thanks for answering. Good to know the sample rate has nothing to do with it! It didn't make much sense in my mind.

I'm using Dimarzio D-Activators. They are not supposed to be dark sounding, at least I think.

I agree that some amps are darker than others. For instance, the Damage 120 is clearly brighter than the others, which is also the case for the real amp, I find the Savage to be quite bright compared to the other amps I have tried. So that is quite well modeled. Perhaps my ears are playing with me, I was just surprised to find how "darker" the others were.

If you forget about the darkness thing, (which could very well be only a question of perspective) I really like them. I'm most familiar with the Savage and Dual Rectifier 3 channel and I find the general tone of each sim is able to well represent the voicing you get with the real ones.

(oh and yes, I did use an overdrive, just forgot to mention it. I used the Mercuriall one)

Reactions: Kazrog
Yeah, D-Activators are good pickups. What guitar, though, with what body wood? For example, if your guitar is made of ash, it tends to be a really dark tone wood. If it's made of basswood, it can be really difficult to get it to sound good through anything in existence IMO. If it's made of mahogany, there's a wide range of sub species out there, and every piece of wood is unique. If it's made of alder, then that's very strange as it's an extremely bright wood...

BTW, my support ticketing system on my site has an attachment feature, so you can attach audio files, screen shots, presets etc. and I could give you some pointers more specifically.

Hey Kazrog, you seem like a great dude. Its so refreshing to see someone from, or representing a company be so hands on with customers. I'm definitely going to check out Thermionik. All the best my friend.

It's odd, when I first tried the Damage 120 sim, I hated it. I couldn't get a single good tone out of it, and it didn't sound anything like my Savage. Went back to it today, I actually kind of dig it. I might need to play with it some more to get that throaty, aggressive tone I'm seeking, but just from a bit of farting around I came close.

Guys, Shane finally comfirmed today on Facebook and his KVR forum that one of the emulations that will be added to Kazrog's product range in January is the Boss HM-2. The At The Gates sound clip posted by him sounded really promising!

Can't fu**ing wait to get my hands on this.