Things To Do In Melbourne When You're Dead Bored?

ZedLeppelin

New Metal Member
Dec 10, 2003
York, UK
www.verbalvoodoo.org
Hi. I've just arrived in Melbourne and I'll be living here for the next four months. Are there any metal club nights about? I'm not bothered about what sort of stuff's played at them, as long as it's not just nu metal. And if so, what are they like in terms of attendance, clientele and friendliness? Thanks.

Pick up a copy of Inpress, the free street paper to get the weeks gig guide. Regular venues include The Arthouse, The Tote, The Espy,The Greenroom and occasionally DV8 has some good gigs on among the Nu-metal.
If you want to see a good Death/Black metal gig, rock up to the Greenroom on the 4th of June to see Accursed,Veil of Anguish,Black Bile and Notherealm. The next night is Naxzul, so no excuses for missing that one.
All of those venues, except maybe DV8 (which is a "Nightclub"), have different clientelle depending who is playing, so just keep an eye on the gig listings. Its rare to see overt Agro in Melbourne, although a degree of reservation is common among DEath and Black Metal fans everywhere.But if you're not being a fuckhead and start up a conversation most folk are pretty cool.

Cheers. Oddly enough, a few hours after reading this, my landlady, unbidden, handed me a copy of Inpress. One question: how does one get away from The Espy at the end of the night? Are there still trams then, or do you have to get a taxi, or walk, or what?