thinking of going to E standard

Yeah, get ready for your tone to get a lot tighter and clearer. I got used to playing in E when I joined the pop punk band I'm in, and I'll be staying in E/drop D for the forseeable future.

I use 10-52 for E standard...regular gauge with heavy bottom I think they're called, so that way I can drop-D if I have to, but I like being tuned to E, and I really dig some metal bands that are tuned to E too, like, say, Megadeth and Martyr (www.myspace.com/martyrcanada) check them out, they're Canada's best kept secret.

I have no problem playing in E, but I like to tune every string one full step down and use thicker strings for my metal
stuff, for everything "rockisch" I really dig E, just sounds right, sounds to "heavy" very fast for me if I just
want to play some blues rock stuff.

10-46, anything lighter is for pussies!
Jeff Loomis begs to differ.:Spin:

I myself have tried every gauge imaginable, but I've always ended up coming back to 9-42 for E standard (25.5"), though I am going to get a 7 string soon and I'll have to see if I will feel comfortable with that gauge on it (56ish bottom B standard).

Jeff Loomis begs to differ.:Spin:

I myself have tried every gauge imaginable, but I've always ended up coming back to 9-42 for E standard (25.5"), though I am going to get a 7 string soon and I'll have to see if I will feel comfortable with that gauge on it (56ish bottom B standard).

Jeff Loomis uses 9-46 on a 26.5" scale - a bit taughter than 10-46 on 25.5".

I'm pretty sure he uses 10-52 + 70 for the "B" string (tuned to A# in his case)
Nope, not any more. At least that is what he said in an interview or such, that I read very recently. He has switched to 9 gauge.
Edit: Of course I am trying to find my source, I'll see what I can find.

Yeap, because everything on Wikipedia must be true and up to date!

Eb standard most of the time here. Like it the most for fast thrashy riffing + it gives the 5th string of the bass the possibility to add heavyness to a chord.