thinking of going to E standard

I have played E Standard from the first time I picked up the guitar 'til now. Sometimes I tend to try drop tuning for "heavier tone" but I always remember album "Cowboys from hell" - Pantera (it's in E std!). So I understand that the heaviness is not at the tuning, it's the way you write rhythm and notes.

CFH is a 1/4 step flat if I recall.....not to be nitpicky. I hear what you're saying just throwin it out there.

Correcto.
Every time I plan along with some CFH stuff, I throw it in the DAW and then pitch shift it up about 0.2-0.3 of a semi tone so I don't have to retune my axe.

Actually cfh is a little flat, but not a quarter tone. Vdop is a quarter tone flat of standard, far beyond driven is a quarter tone below d standard, then it all just goes nuts for tgst. Ride the lightning is the most annoying album though, almost a quarter tone sharp!

I read somewhere that Diary of a Madman was tuned down a half step because the tuner was originally miscalibrated, and Randy ended up finding it cool to play a 1/2 step down, so they didn't fix it.
Maybe it's the same kind of thing for these albums that are tuned < ± 1/2 half step away from concert pitch.
I admit it's annoying when you want to play along with the recording

Check my sig for E Standard heavy god damn metal. We occasionally play in drop D as well. Rockin' 10-46 in E standard since I started playing.