This Godless Endeavor

Mine too. Just before I got it I had St Anger on in the car. Don't get me wrong, I adore Metallica but when I played This Godless Endeavour straight after - well there's no fucking comparison, is there?

St Anger has sold how many millions? In my view, and some might disagree, but if Nevermore could get Sentient 6 out as a single, get a cool vid and get it on the airwaves, TGE could sell shedloads.

The metal world has been crying out for a record like this for years. In my view Nevermore stand head and shoulders above the likes of Trivium and Killswitch and all those NWOAHM metal bands (how does that singer mange to sing for so many bands!! :tickled: :tickled: )

Yay my first post!! :hotjump:

Just wanted to say I really hope Nevermore will get a much bigger following with TGE..even though all their other albums are excellent! I own most of them.

I think Gigantour will help them out too...I've been on the Gigantour forums and it seems like a lot of people who went for other bands have been brought over to Nevermore.

As for St. Anger vs This Godless Endeavor (or ANYTHING nevermore has ever done) I think there is no comparison as you said....st. anger was terrible IMO (sorry..don't mean to offend *ducks*) and many people bought it for their collections i think. I won't start a rant about the snare sound...I'm sure it's been done to death.

I'm in the process of trying to convert my younger sister to Nevermore, wish me luck she listens to radio rock!!

It's funny I was watching the St.Wanger Dvd the other day of them "thrashing" out a few songs. Me and my friends were just laughing at it. Metal has evolved so much since the glory days. Metallica will always rock just not as much as Nevermore.[/opinion+littlestory]

I finally got off my ass and bought this today, and I think its incredible. I'd heard all the tracks before, but sitting down and giving it my full attention was great to finally do. Looking forward to seeing the tracks done live again next month.

ive beena quasai nevermore fan for a few years. and i thought the previous works were "ok" but then when i got TGE i was tottally blown away. theyhavent even come close to the lyrical genius and musicianship displayed on this cd. it is almost the perfect metal cd. i love it. i even appreciate the older stuff more now, its still not in the same league tho!

Totally great album.They did a great job.(Great mixing too)Every song is awesome and has a different type of feeling.It does this great as whole album. I think TGE my favorite Nevermore album. \m/

I'd agree with the opinion that THIS GODLESS ENDEAVOR is the best album they've ever done. In addition to that, I'd say that the title track is the best song they've ever written.

John Gargo said:
I'd agree with the opinion that THIS GODLESS ENDEAVOR is the best album they've ever done. In addition to that, I'd say that the title track is the best song they've ever written.
I agree totally. The last bit of guitar flare, and the fact that warrel has held back the falsetto until the very last line of the album "...The sky has opened". First time I listened to it I wrote a commentary on the songs, i'll post it, but first, second time I listened to it Sentient 6 made me fucking cry. Couldn't take it. So powerful. Anyway, it has dethroned Nile from the top spot this year as far as I'm concerned.

An emotive review: NEVERMORE - This Godless Endeavor
Current mood: indescribable

So The album came out today and I have it in my hands right now. Its in a lovely fold out packaging. Great art work and awesome lyric book. I have done some meditating and prepared my soul. At this very moment I am pressing play on the stereo.

BORN: The opening track is one I've already heard. It's agressive opening leads beautifully into rhythmic mastery. The Chorus is phenominal on all fronts, guitars incredible, drums are doing something brand new and admirable, vocals are as always superb. The solo is mega. Starts with an epic refrain and just goes into a Meshuggary style break beat. |m/ 10/10

FINAL PRODUCT: More sweet riffs, lyrics are a bit typical of Nevermore, but I can't complain. The mix on the drums is awesome on this album, every beat is totally audible in all its intricate detail. Holy shit. First solo is quite mega. It's the first bit of flare Smyth has gifted us with. The Chorus is once again classic. The guitars take a more subservient possition to the vocals, but I won't complain. Loomis' solo just kicked in. He's showing us why he's one of the best on the plannet, mainly here with some really well chosen bends. Now there's some crazy tapping and sweep shit. Man, all I can really say is Jeff Loomis is one gifted motherfucker. If I can ever play half as well as that guy, or write material as twisted and melodic, I'll be contempt. overall, this track is a great just above mid tempo crusher. 9/10

MY ACID WORDS: Starts slow and grungey, a little bit of old school Nevermore. WOAH!!! THESE FUCKING RIFFS! Sorry, this is killing me. It just propper kicked in with some speed and then, down to a mid tempo headbang fest. How fucking good. Vocal melodies are like, soaring, but that's overshadowed by the seven string assault. The verse is one of the heaviest and best I've heard, and the prechorus is on a par with Born melodically... Man. The chorus is vintage Nevermore. Ok... best moment of the album so far, after the refrain, we have some of the most insane break beat shit I've heard in a while, solo over the top of course. MAN! Back into the prechorus. Fuck yes. How much more are they gonna do? My god. Fuck writing critically about this... I'm on the third track and I'm shivering with pleasure. Outro goes back to the sludgey slow realms of the intro. YES! Loved that one. 10/10 track

BITTERSWEET FEAST: This ones got a creepy edge, follows on perfectly from the previous track. Holy shit! The verse is massive... the double bass just kicks out so well. This tracks got much more about it structurally... it's a bit more progressive. Just as intricate riffage if not more intricate. Speed is more unrelenting, less varried... more just upper mid tempo to fast. It's nice and noisey. 3.00 minutes in and BOOM! Solos and riffs and, well, progression. Some Smyth and Loomis back to back shit. I love it. I dont think this song has actually repeated any sections yet. There's an album worth of riff in this one track and it's only 5.00 minutes long hahaha. Last 20 seconds is |M/ |M/ 9.5/10

SENTIENT 6: This one sounds like a ballad... but its not your 'tomorrow turned into yesterday' balls. Haunting piano melody, the bass is very powerful here. Oh wow, the chorus sounds pretty Gothenburg... but with that nevermore touch. Really kicks in. This one is going to absolutely own live! 3 min10sec in and the guitars are making an example out of my ears. They are having melodic sex with each other in some brutal massochistic form... oh and what a moment to bust into another crazy bastard solo. And then comes the quietest moment on the album. A much needed refrain hahaha. Chorus, and some scary vocals, and now some scary almost gothic guitar work, stop starty thing going on. Holyshit. This is amazing guys. I'm so glad this track is 7 minutes long. All shades of the ballad have died away and all that's left is an evil powerful emotion. OH MAN!!! It just picked up even higher. these robots are pissed! The drums are pounding, and now the fucking solos have just come in again. How are they doing this? No one has ever made something that kickass. 666/10 That was the best thing I ever heard. ever.

MEDICATED NATION: RIFF!!!! Starts heavy as fuck. Follows on beautifully. This one could be a really slam fest live if they place it right. It's similar to bittersweet feast in so far as it's progressive. It's not repeating anything. AWWW fast solo... proper driving beat, more thrashy than the previous stop/start/meshuggahfied/chug fests. "ALL YOU FEEL AND ALL YOU DO, THE MEDICATION CONTROLS YOU." Wow!.!!. 10/10

THE HOLOCAUST OF THOUGHT: This is an instrumental by the looks of it... no vocals. The solo is by james murphy (testament guy?)... kinda random. It sounds shit hot. It's really jazzy, but very dark. A short interlude. 8/10 (Stands great in the album but on its own is random as hell... but as I said, works in the context of the album very well).

SELL MY HEART FOR STONES: Another gloomy beginnning, another mega chorus. this sounds a bit anthemic actually, more linear structure. Some spanishy guitar solos going on. A little bit deconstructionesque. Man, I love it. Oh, powerful shit after the second chorus. And a refrain with some great bass work. This one will work something else live I bet. More sludgey, people have to be waving lighters on the chorus. I bet this will follow an older classic like engines of hate when they play it live. so much great lead guitar work, now it's some volume swells over a slowing dying jazzy beat done on the symbols with acoustic guitars in the back ground. Sweet. 9.5/10

THE PSALM OF LYDIA: The intro is something else on this one. perhaps the most impactful intro of all the tracks. Breaks straight into a mega sweep solo. Awww stop starty shit going on, making me really really hard. Sorry, it just is. The drummer is putting on a fucking clinic in this one. A human metronome with one fuck off imagination hehe. More Spanish guitar stuff, perhaps the most virtuosic spanish flare I've heard form Loomis... oh, that was rudely interupted with some uber shreading! AWWWW YESS!!! ITS A TRADEOFF! A massive one too. That worked too well. Loomis won YOU FUCKING GODS! More chorus insanity now, progressing out into a guitar lead melody. and now something Jazzy to finish. Marvellous. 10/10

A FUTURE UNCERTAIN: Accoustic guitars dominate the opening, some great vocal harmonies are going on. Ha, acoustic chugage... volume swell... EXPLOSION!!! Time to fucking thrash out! My only criticism at this point is they have done too many awesome things... every track is really over the top. so you can't pick one excellent moment... because it's all there. You'd be lucky to get one track as good as the worst track on this album on most albums. The chorus is mega once again. Another Drum Clinic. And Blasts/tremelo guitar riffs are killing me. Aww, the most awesome little bridge broke out then. Msn, this song actually sounds like chorus after chorus, its all that epic and anthemic. Very dynamic. Smyth is shreading and it rules. He just had two solos back to back, both very metal. Welcome to Nevermore is all I can say to that man, he's shreading it royally. A return to the intro... my god. I can't describe whats going on now. That's amazing. Punchy sextuplets over acoustic guitar into another chorus thing... brutal. Totally brutal. 10/10

THIS GODLESS ENDEAVOR: This has been tipped as the best track on the album, but I'm emotionally and mentally drained. The intro is quiet and building. Very powerful and emotive from Warrel. Some lovely acoustic leads. Smash. Heavyness. Very Sludgey. Woah, and there's the melody we like. Dude this is beyond belief. It really is going somewhere. And Nevermore deserve more than this fucking unappreciative plannet. The sludge turned to thrash and I'm very very happy again. Massive pinch Harmonics there. Loving it. Another Drum Clinic. This track is hard to comprehend. I have a feeling I will need to listen to this album many more times before I can correctly invision these songs. A riff four minutes in made me smile a big smile. A new standard for everything has just been set I'd say. I feel sorry for Nevermore... they won't be able to follow this album (or will they o_O ). FASTEST MOMENT YET... Aw it's so spazzy... it's all over the place. A melodic dillinger escape plan. This is the most impressive song I've ever heard from nevermore, on all fronts... especially guitar work. This song just went through the roof in that department. Sweeping patterns that make Rusty Cooley look like a fucking retard who has no melody (wasted talent (Muhahahaha) ). Shitting hell, this is probably the best Nevermore song I've ever heard. ...THE SKY HAS OPENED! FALSETO!!!! YEEESSSS!!! And it's over. 666/10

I feel like I've just been in a car crash. My life flashed before my eyes and I came out a better person. Seriously, I thought this whole thing was going to be "Not as good as I expected"... but no. Nothing will prepare you for what lies on this record. I'm in worship of Nevermore more so than ever as a result of the consumption of This Godless endeavor.

Sadistic beauty. Every track is the best track. You're all retards until you go out and buy it. If you've bought it, then you are cool. And I love you.

Well, what can I say. I've been listening to Nevermore for about 5 years and they always impress me bigtime. I usually listen to crazy black/deathmetal 90% of the time, but Nevermore is just a huge breath of fresh air. When I got "This Godless Endeavor" I was pretty excited(enough to buy a discman at the store next door so could listen to right away and not have to wait until I got home) I must say after the first spin I thought "It's o.k. It's no "Dead Heart" "Dreaming Neon" and they seem to be repeating themselves." Well let's just that after the 5th or 6th spin I was shoving my foot as far down my throat as possible.
THIS FUCKING ALBUM IS WICKED. I found myself humming vocal lines that I heard only a few times, anticipating riffs that again, I've barely heard. This album really creapt up on me. I can't stop playing it. I have to force myself to listen to something else for fear of making myself sick it. In a time where buying new albums is a chore(for me) because just about everything sucks and is unoriginal, Nevermore comes up with this masterpiece.
Thank you very much for this. I hope to see you guys in Montreal on your headlining tour,cause I'm sure that's as close as you'll come to Halifax. I'll travel a 1000 miles or more if have to cause I wanna see this band live.

just wanted to say that i am a long time fan and nevermore keeps getting better with each album. i can't imagine how they will top this one. the creative and original nature of the new album is awesome. best release of 2005 along with the new opeth....and new porcupine tree :D !!

No More Will said:
THIS FUCKING ALBUM IS WICKED.

I know. It really works for me, too. I love it!

No More Will said:
I found myself humming vocal lines that I heard only a few times,

:D

flu boy said:
best release of 2005 along with the new opeth...

IMO, Ghost Reveries is good but This Godless Endeavor blows it out of the water. Nevermore should have headline status.

A complete metal masterpiece. Definitely The Greatest album in my book for the entire year.