This guy needs to be stopped

Agreed with Ken. All you youngsters should go watch Headbanger's Ball and complain about that, and let us old middle-aged farts have our thing ( Kiss, UFO, etc )....

That wasn't the point. Us, near-30 "youngsters" don't want a show with current metal videos. We want a show that talks about metal, where the host is not an arrogant prick who thinks he knows everything. We need a host who can get his head out of his ass and leave the 80s for once.

There's more to metal than just the 80s.

That wasn't the point. Us, near-30 "youngsters" don't want a show with current metal videos. We want a show that talks about metal, where the host is not an arrogant prick who thinks he knows everything. We need a host who can get his head out of his ass and leave the 80s for once.

And there's more to 80s metal than Quiet Riot!

I'm among those that don't get the hate. I think the show has been okay, I mean it's cable TV, to have even a glimmer of something even remotely metal is great, and I know going in that it's not going to get the full respect (newer bands, etc.) I like the new 1 hour format as it gives more time with their guests - they've had some great interviews - people I'd never think I'd see on TV - Joe Lynn Turner, Scott Gorham, Blitz and DD come to mind. Though this season, they're starting to bring in more mainstream (read "boring") people - Phil Collen from Def Leppard? Really? I take the show for what it is, not what we all would like it to be. That being said, though I too really wish he would just drop the RRHOF rants!

While I can't stand for people to tell me I'm living in the 80's because I get on an 80's kick about once a month,I to dislike him for the most part.It's cool to see someone playing and talking about the rock he likes best,but his attitude toward anything else does suck

While I can't stand for people to tell me I'm living in the 80's because I get on an 80's kick about once a month,I to dislike him for the most part.It's cool to see someone playing and talking about the rock he likes best,but his attitude toward anything else does suck

80s kick once a month is not the same as living in the 80s. You *know* it if you're living in the 80s. :lol:

If you think he's an arrogant prick, you haven't listened to enough of him. I don't detect much arrogance at all. He's just been a fan of this stuff for a long time and has some firmly entrenched positions about the bands he likes. (Not too different from many on this board.)

Sure. But there is also so much metal that you aren't going to satisfy everyone with a one hour show. Hell, XM has a metal station, but I couldn't stand most of what they played.

Really, what Trunk does is good for his end of the spectrum. What those outside of that area of hard rock and metal should be asking is not for him to broaden his range to things he really wouldn't know what he's talking about, but to be looking elsewhere for it.

From my own experience from tilting at windmills with XM for years is that the scene that we represent is always going to be a tough argument to the "classic" metal programmer and listener. The execs mostly look at our genre as classic rock nowadays. What is considered "metal" nowadays doesn't cross over much with what we listen to. There is also a certain myopia in the classic fanbase who also look at the genre in the same way, who go to concerts to hear the classics and don't even want to hear new music from classic bands that they like.

Trunk knows this as well. I remember he had the reformed BulletBoys on his show one time, and he commented that he thought their prospects probably weren't going to be very good in the climate of the record industry because of the way they would be viewed. Unless you are a big name, it was going to be very tough going, no matter what the quality. We all know that reality, that most of the bands we like are not going to be big draws, and many in the industry could care less about our bands.

I don't think being trapped in the 70s and 80s is the problem with Trunk. Beside we all know the best rock and metal came from those decades but that is beside the point.
Trunk is an arrogant prick. Just the way writes things off like bands he does not know, his jabs at such bands, festivals, etc is beyond what one would expect and hope to see from such an "authority" on this genre. Eddie Trunk is an insult to rock music just has much as the Hall of Fame.

On a side note; he charges $200.00 to r3eview a band's album. Seriously do people actually pay that fat f@#k to review their album? Man that guy thinks highly of himself.

If you think he's an arrogant prick, you haven't listened to enough of him. I don't detect much arrogance at all. He's just been a fan of this stuff for a long time and has some firmly entrenched positions about the bands he likes. (Not too different from many on this board.)

Perhaps. I admit that I only saw his show a few times, but every single time at least once or twice he came across as very arrogant and as if he was the king of the truth. Maybe he's not usually that bad - I'd need to watch his show more. But every single time it seemed the same thing.

TheLongshot said:
Sure. But there is also so much metal that you aren't going to satisfy everyone with a one hour show. Hell, XM has a metal station, but I couldn't stand most of what they played.

Well, then how about call his show "That 80s Metal Show?" You're right, it won't satisfy everyone, but he's only satisfying *one* demographic of metal fans.

TheLongshot said:
Really, what Trunk does is good for his end of the spectrum. What those outside of that area of hard rock and metal should be asking is not for him to broaden his range to things he really wouldn't know what he's talking about, but to be looking elsewhere for it.

Agreed. Still bugs the crap out of me to think that he's considered the ultimate authority in heavy metal on TV.

From my own experience from tilting at windmills with XM for years is that the scene that we represent is always going to be a tough argument to the "classic" metal programmer and listener. The execs mostly look at our genre as classic rock nowadays. What is considered "metal" nowadays doesn't cross over much with what we listen to. There is also a certain myopia in the classic fanbase who also look at the genre in the same way, who go to concerts to hear the classics and don't even want to hear new music from classic bands that they like.

Trunk knows this as well. I remember he had the reformed BulletBoys on his show one time, and he commented that he thought their prospects probably weren't going to be very good in the climate of the record industry because of the way they would be viewed. Unless you are a big name, it was going to be very tough going, no matter what the quality. We all know that reality, that most of the bands we like are not going to be big draws, and many in the industry could care less about our bands.

Dude Trunk being in broadcasting and I guess you could say somewhat of a journalist/reporter he should keep up with what the hell is going on. Granted he is not going to know every band out there and some sub-genres he will most in likely never discover even if he wasn't so narrow minded. Still if you are going to boost about being an "authority" his words then step up to the plant. Damn I think most of the people on this board could school his ass (even the youngsters).:) So I don't understand why any of you would defend this guy. Then again I can't understand how people like this get in such positions.
So Eddie was a fan for so long; woopy doo I don't know if that makes his dick any bigger than the next guys. And who hasn't been a "fan" for a long time? Have you guys ever met Matt Tribunal? He has been a fan for a long time and I bet he can talk about UFO too.

PS.
Matt you are the only one on here that I know knows his stuff besides myself so I just tossed your name out there, and of course to put you on the spot.;)

Angrarules don't be persuaded you first impress is correct.
I have often found it to be interesting that his audience is often full of guys wearing shirts of bands that you would never hear Eddie talk about certainly would not see them on the show like; Pentagram, Witch, Solitude.

Ricky was the ultimate poser. I will never forget when he got the guys from Nuclear Assault confused on who plays what and who the singer was. I think Headbangers Ball would have been better if they did not have a VJ and just had guest VJ's or just videos.

Ahem, it's actually RIKKI!! :lol:

Anyhow, I will never forget when he interviewed D.R.I., and he asked them, "So tell me. What is the song ABDUCTION about"??? The guys looked at each other, and was like, "Ummm.. it's pretty self explanatory dude" :lol:

Back on topic, I have seen about 10 episodes of this show.
I take it for what it is. A show on a major cable network that discussed metal. So no matter what, it's going to be filled with the better known bands, and even moreso by the safe ones that aren't even metal (IE - AC/DC, Guns, etc).

The most recent one I saw from this season had both Bill Ward and Glen Danzig on together.

Good call on pushing the RHINO RECORDS stuff.
EVERY Heaven and Hell and Sabbath re-release is pimped to the gills!!!

I think the reason metal has dropped off the radar is that guys like this keep on promoting bands that have run thier course and not push newer bands. Most people think metal is a dead genre which it isnt. There are so many new bands popping up all over and are very active. It is a shame that there isnt a show to promote them. While it wouldnt be a huge ratings grabber, it would be a great way for bands to get their name out there. Could you imagine if a label like Nuclear Blast was able to get airtime on a channel like Vh1 classic or even Mtv2 or 3. You could have any band on tour be getting airtime for thier tour. New CD's and vids could be promoted. About 15 years ago or so some guys used to buy Infomercial time and they did a 30 minute video show on the E! Channel on sunday nights at 3 AM. They hit lots of the fanzines out at that time promoting it. It lasted a few months and then died. But it was cool to be able to see at that time music that had zero airplay actually on tv. With 300 plus TV channels out there I am surprised someone hasnt tried something simular.

Thanks, that was a reasonable, well thought out response. Point noted.

The most recent one I saw from this season had both Bill Ward and Glen Danzig on together.

Yeah talk about people who screw up; not only did they not mention Glenn in Samhain (ok fine) but one of Eddie's sidekick numbnuts screwed up when talking about 'Mother' and Glenn had to correct him. And it was not just a brain fart the guy was actually confused. One would think these guys would do some research on their guests. But I thought a classic one was when the bass player of Enuff z Nuff was on and Eddie had no idea what the CD was that was drawn from the box. When the bassist spoke hope and said that's my band Eddie just shrugged it of the the jackass that he is. It seemed a bit rude to the guy.
As for pimping Dio and Sabbath...

Yeah talk about people who screw up; not only did they not mention Glenn in Samhain (ok fine) but one of Eddie's sidekick numbnuts screwed up when talking about 'Mother'

Yeah, the not mentioning SAMHAIN drove me nuts too.

What drives me most nuts about the show are the scripted questions for STUMP THE TRUNK. Half the audience members stumble over band names and band member names.

I do love the disappointment though when someone pulls out a crappy DVD, as opposed to the few who pull out an XBOX game, and then are given ROCK BAND. :lol:

Yeah, the not mentioning SAMHAIN drove me nuts too.

What drives me most nuts about the show are the scripted questions for STUMP THE TRUNK. Half the audience members stumble over band names and band member names.

I do love the disappointment though when someone pulls out a crappy DVD, as opposed to the few who pull out an XBOX game, and then are given ROCK BAND. :lol:
Actually, when I was there, people actually did submit their own questions which were vetted by someone and just a couple were chosen. The people who read their questions seemed awfully nervous, which may be what you noticed.

Actually, when I was there, people actually did submit their own questions which were vetted by someone and just a couple were chosen. The people who read their questions seemed awfully nervous, which may be what you noticed.

Really?
I dunno. As a viewer, I seriously get the vibe that over half the people asking questions have no idea what it is they are even asking about.

Which episode did you attend?

Perhaps. I admit that I only saw his show a few times, but every single time at least once or twice he came across as very arrogant and as if he was the king of the truth. Maybe he's not usually that bad - I'd need to watch his show more. But every single time it seemed the same thing.

You have to realize that half of the stuff said on that show is tounge-in-cheek. Hell, the other two guys are comedians. With the new format they have toned down the "jokey" aspect of it and have had more real content. I still think his radio show is superior as far as content.

Well, then how about call his show "That 80s Metal Show?" You're right, it won't satisfy everyone, but he's only satisfying *one* demographic of metal fans.

Well, the fact that the show is on VH1 Classic and that the name implies a retro aspect (apeing it from "That 70s Show"), I think the point is already made without spelling it out.

Agreed. Still bugs the crap out of me to think that he's considered the ultimate authority in heavy metal on TV.

Until I read this thread, I didn't know anyone was considering him that. Personally, we should be amazed that there is ANY metal on any MTV network anymroe.

I take it for what it is. A show on a major cable network that discussed metal. So no matter what, it's going to be filled with the better known bands, and even moreso by the safe ones that aren't even metal (IE - AC/DC, Guns, etc).

Well, to be fair, they do say Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.

I never really paid attention to it, but you might be right. It also seems that Eddie doesn't really know what's in his box of junk sometimes. (Course, when that happens you often hear him screaming for the contestant to pull something else out of the box.)

I guess every show needs their sponsor.