This is what you get for sharing stems

Ronixis

Rocket surgeon
Dec 1, 2006
Finland
I posted pre-mixed stems for my songs a week ago on this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...tream-download-includes-stems-dis-midi-2.html

A few days later, I find this youtube video where a dude is selling his mixing and mastering services with my song. The description said "here are a couple of bands I mixed recently". There were even comments like "did you mix the new nerve end album? wow", which he didn't even bother to answer. The song was also on his studio myspace page.

The fun thing is, the song was 99 % like the original. He had only reamped the guitars and bass. Everything else was untouched, so the drums, vocals, keys, effects etc. was already 100 % mixed and automated by me.

It's astonising how someone can think that it's appropriate to market their services with fully premixed songs, especially when it's clearly stated that these files are not to be used for commercial purposes. What do you do when a client has a request like "hey, we want a similar snare sound to the nerve end song you did". Do you just go "uhh.. well... actually... I don't know because I didn't mix it". You just can't put songs on you're official résumé if all you've done is imported some tracks and played around with a guitar DI.

I think that sharing stems and tips etc. is what really makes learning this profession great. But when people violate the terms and use work done by others for their own benefit, I'm really starting to doubt if it's worth it.

Name and shame.

I'll rather be a nice guy and let people find out by themselves if they really want to know. The good thing is, that the problem is solved already. I understand that someone could do this kind of thing out of sheer foolishness. I don't take it personally and I don't want to cause trouble for anyone. There's a tons of guys trying to start their career just like me. I want them to understand that doing things like this is stupid and unprofessional.

If it was with me I would tell the name of the guy because this fucktards must learn their place. But unfortunately nonsense is everywhere.

No idea on the pricing. I hope he's cheap, maybe he could mix our next record. Why not, the quality seems to be 1:1 on par with mine :D

Well, the ad for his mixing and mastering services in the "for sale" section of a certain nameless internet community that starts with an A and ends in "neap forum" originally had his rates listed and the first response was the "smiley eating popcorn" emoticon, so... :lol:

Wow it was him? Makes sense though, because I heard that video and was astonished, it sounded a hell of a lot better than his own original music that he posts. I just figured he'd learned a lot really fast :lol:

Douche move, but very gracefully handled by you sir, that is most commendable behaviour indeed. I'm not sure I could have been quite so level headed.

A couple of years or so ago, before the Periphery album was officially released, some kid had taken some of Bulb's songs off his soundclick and used them on his myspace as originals. After he was confronted he said "pfft, so? It's not like he'll get anywhere, nobody's heard of him" (or something to that effect).

a) That's not the fucking point. You can't justify taking ANYBODY'S original creation, even if it will never leave their living room, and...
b) HAHAHAHA!

Hi guys, that would be me, and this is 100% bad behaviour, and i'm really sorry for that, i've sent the PM to Ronixis:

" Hi man, I never wanted to steal your mix and i will delete this video and myspace track now, i thought that every kind of promotion will help you and i always said that is unofficial remix and i gave the link in every site to your bandpage... Sorry for this situation, i'm from Poland and not that good in english language, i just don't get well your words in your topic with the stems.

Again - I'm sorry man and good luck with your band !

Cheers
Widek "

I'm not that good at english language (i know - it's a funny excuse) All this situation is the result of misunderstandings ( i used my guitars , bass, mix and master all of the other instruments - drums + vocals) And everytime people asked me, i said that was unoriginal , unofficial mix , and always gave the link to bandpage.

Again, sorry Ronaxis
Hope you can forgive me guys

What a douche.

Maybe he knows what stems are, though - apparently you don't!

I know that most professionals expect 100 % raw files of every single track in the session when they hear the word stems. It's just not possible for me to do that. Firstly, everyone could steal all the commercial samples used on the drumtracks. Also, it would be a huge amount of work without any profit. Most of the users who want to learn, want to just listen to how mixed tracks sound on their own anyway.

I think the "pre-mixed stems", (which is what I used in this thread and in the description inside the rar-file) is a proper term for the files. If there's a better term, please give one. I'll happily stand corrected.

I know that most professionals expect 100 % raw files of every single track in the session when they hear the word stems. It's just not possible for me to do that. Fistly, everyone could steal all the commercial samples used on the drumtracks. Also, it would be a huge amount of work without any profit. Most of the users who want to learn, want to just listen to how mixed tracks sound on their own anyway.

I think the "pre-mixed stems", (which is what I used in this thread and in the description inside the rar-file) is a proper term for the files. If there's a better term, please give one. I'll happily stand corrected.

Nah, Jeff just means stems are actually submix groups. When someone provides stems for mixing or mastering, it means there are usually drums on one stereo track, guitars on another and so on. It's a common misconception that people call raw tracks stems. I haven't checked the Nerve End tracks, but sounds like it's a combination of raw tracks (DI's?) and stems :)

Hi guys, that would be me, and this is 100% bad behaviour, and i'm really sorry for that, i've sent the PM to Ronixis:

" Hi man, I never wanted to steal your mix and i will delete this video and myspace track now, i thought that every kind of promotion will help you and i always said that is unofficial remix and i gave the link in every site to your bandpage... Sorry for this situation, i'm from Poland and not that good in english language, i just don't get well your words in your topic with the stems.

Again - I'm sorry man and good luck with your band !

Cheers
Widek "

I'm not that good at english language (i know - it's a funny excuse) All this situation is the result of misunderstandings ( i used my guitars , bass, mix and master all of the other instruments - drums + vocals) And everytime people asked me, i said that was unoriginal , unofficial mix , and always gave the link to bandpage.

Again, sorry Ronaxis

It's cool of you to step up on this. However, maybe this is a good spot to step back a bit and reconsider your tactics. Perhaps take a course or two on running a business and learning the fundamentals of business competition ethics and then getting back in the game. I might sound like a dick, but it's a genuinely friendly suggestion if you want to pursuit this as a serious career instead of getting bad rep before you even get started.

It's cool of you to step up on this. However, maybe this is a good spot to step back a bit and reconsider your tactics. Perhaps take a course or two on running a business and learning the fundamentals of business competition ethics and then getting back in the game. I might sound like a dick, but it's a genuinely friendly suggestion if you want to pursuit this as a serious career instead of getting bad rep before you even get started.

I'm really young guitarist and still learning about the mixing/mastering businessess services.
Thanks for the tip man, i really appreciate it!

Again, sorry Ronaxis

I have no grudge against you, don't worry. The point of this thread is to prevent other people to doing something similar. Using practice remixes on your official resume is just a bad idea, especially with a misguiding title like "my mixes". People are bound to believe that these are all paid jobs done 100 % by you.