This is why I don't post on this board

how was Wacken? have you seen Maiden? Slayer? Anvil? Voi Vod? Overkill? Cannibal Corpse? what a god-like line-up.

Alice Cooper, Mötley Crüe and Iron Maiden were playing in a row on thursday, what a great day. I liked how Maiden played only a few classics and a lot post-reunion stuff. Also El Dorado rocked a lot more live than the studio version, it suddenly makes sense now. Slayer were just cool. Tom Araya only said a few words, most of the time he was just smiling at the crowd between songs. Overkill had very bassy guitars, so you could barely hear them sometimes. Didn't see much of Voivod, because Die Apokalyptischen Reiter (german for "the horsemen of the apocalypse") were playing at the same time. They are very popular here in germany. They play some kind of Anarchist-Melodic-Death-Folk-Metal and always put on a great show. They get girls from the audience up on stage, let people crowdsurf in a rubber boat, they sometimes even got a bouncing castle with them on stage for fans to use during the concert. Crazy stuff, but easy to sing along and very entertaining :D I also enjoyed Arch Enemy and Fiddlers Green (Irish Folk Rock from germany) as well as The Bosshoss and U.D.O. (who also played some Accept stuff like Balls To The Wall). Oh, and i watched Immortal, just for the sake of it :rofl:

I certainly do. I own 6 rifles and two handguns, and have never been around a firearm "accident". I am the 4th generation (that I know of) who enjoy guns & hunting. If you don't want guns, fine. But don't ban me from them because you don't like them. More people are killed by cars & doctors every single year than guns. Wanna ban them?

Of course. How many people own cars and how many own guns? People enjoy guns and hunting in germany, too. But there is no need to have them lying around. That's like sleeping under a car.

Yeah that's right...Six feet under. My bad - same singer, awful garbage disposal/furnace/toilet flushing sounding vocals. Got it.

Chris Barnes is the best Death Metal vocalist of all time. Cannibal Corpse back in the day was the best Death Metal band on the planet. Barnes invented the guttural death metal growl. Six Feet Under has some quality shit too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is getting heavier, just hope Anthrax's music does the same =)

they said that Worhip Music was gonna be the heaviest record that they have ever done, that is not much of a challenge. *g*. i remember some people describing Vol. 8 to be "heavy as f**k" or "f***in brutal from start to finish". *lol* i hope their next album will be heavier than "Toast To The Extras", "Harms Way", "Big Fat", "Stealing From A Thief", "Pieces", "Safe Home",...

but to be honest, i don't expect something heavy from them, i leave heavyness to Slayer and Cannibal Corpse, just put out a decent metal album.

Chris Barnes is the best Death Metal vocalist of all time. Cannibal Corpse back in the day was the best Death Metal band on the planet. Barnes invented the guttural death metal growl. Six Feet Under has some quality shit too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIw-56wV0f4

I'm fully aware of what an innovator Chris Barnes is...but essentially he made it popular to not know how to sing, and use zero melody. No thanks.
I record a lot of local bands and now everyone in metal bands think it's cool to grunt and have no talent (though Chris has lyric writing talent for sure - and I'm not saying it's easy to do that vocal technique...just don't think it's very musical).

you are right about Barnses vocals not being melodical and his vocal technique not musical, Deege, but there are also vocalists that you appreciate considered 'monotone' and believed to have 'zero voice range' by some people. it's all a matter of taste.

you are right about Barnses vocals not being melodical and his vocal technique not musical, Deege, but there are also vocalists that you appreciate considered 'monotone' and believed to have 'zero voice range' by some people. it's all a matter of taste.

Yeah but those people are completely full of horse shit, and listen to a singer with no pitch control who likes to sing shitty Journey songs like they are cool.:lol:

Yeah but those people are completely full of horse shit, and listen to a singer with no pitch control who likes to sing shitty Journey songs like they are cool.:lol:

What? Do you guys enjoy listening to this too? Thought it was just me...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fully aware of what an innovator Chris Barnes is...but essentially he made it popular to not know how to sing, and use zero melody. No thanks.
I record a lot of local bands and now everyone in metal bands think it's cool to grunt and have no talent (though Chris has lyric writing talent for sure - and I'm not saying it's easy to do that vocal technique...just don't think it's very musical).

Chris Barnes took his voice and used it as an instrument. There are many styles of music. Extreme Death Metal features his style of vocal. There are a ton of terrible Death Metal vocalists that all sound the same. But if you appreciate Death Metal you will appreciate Chris Barnes. If he were to actually 'sing' the music would not have the same affect.

His lyrics are pure genius as well. It's a horror movie in music form. Death metal is not for everyone. But when the death metal scene broke out in the late 80's, early 90's it was awesome. I was in a death metal band myself. Bands like Morbid Angel, Napalm Death, Obituary, Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Deicide, Suffocation and so on. That was an amazing time for extreme metal.

Then a lot of copycat bands came out and watered down the scene with generic shit.

Max Cavalera to me is one of the greatest metal vocalists of all time. He can't 'sing' for shit. If he tried to sing a Journey song it would be horrible.

Using your voice as another instrument to get a certain vibe is all that matters to me. If thats all i cared about I'd go listen to Michael Bolton or some shit.