This one is for Chris H.

Tank101

New Metal Member
Nov 3, 2003
San Antonio
Visit site
First of all, its been a while since i've been on this forum so im happy to be back. Congrats to u guys for having Chris S. back in the band, can't wait for the stuff.
But my qustion is for Chris H. U have a great tone and am curious, if u dont mind sharing, what equipment are u using? And do u prefer the Pink or the Black Boa?

Tank

LOL. Why, the Pink Boa of course! :loco:

As far as tone/equipment-

For the CD, I was using two basses- My Ibanez SR1306 (6 string) and my Conklin GT7 (7 string). Both have their positives and negatives when it comes to tone...the 1306 is punchy as hell, but has a tendancy to be a little noisy and bottom heavy for recording, where as the GT7 has an overall much smoother sound, yet isn't quite as punchy as the Ibanez. For the next CD, I'll probably concentrate on using the GT7, just because it's easier to EQ in the long run...

As far as amplification during the recording process, I was just using a Line 6 Bass Pod, with a little chorus and compression. Overall, I think it sounds OK, but the next one should be cleaner on my end (or at least that is the goal)...so I've been messing with my EQ on the Pod and basses, and think I've come up with a pretty good sound now, for the recording process.

I still prefer my live rig as far as sound goes- I'm a Hartke man thru and thru, running a 3 way setup with a 215XL (2 staggered 15" cab) for the low end and a 410XL for mids and overall "punch" and a 405XL array (5 4" cones) for nothing but highs. I still use my ART Nightbass SE preamp live, which I just haven't found anything I like better as of yet, although I'll have to hit the used market soon to find a replacement, as I think mine is on it's last leg.

Hope this is what you were looking for, Tank!:p

What impresses me about a bassist is when he can make his instrument sound beautiful. That is exactly what happens throughout Rooms of Anguish, but more specifically in My Best To Be... at 1:32, 3:21 and 6:28. This has to be the prettiest bassline I have ever heard. The one at 3:21 is slightly different, perhaps by a note or two, I can't tell, but I always find myself rewinding that particular part because it just sounds beautiful.... Kudos!

säki

saki said:
What impresses me about a bassist is when he can make his instrument sound beautiful. That is exactly what happens throughout Rooms of Anguish, but more specifically in My Best To Be... at 1:32, 3:21 and 6:28. This has to be the prettiest bassline I have ever heard. The one at 3:21 is slightly different, perhaps by a note or two, I can't tell, but I always find myself rewinding that particular part because it just sounds beautiful.... Kudos!

säki
Thank you for that, Saki. I will have to go back now and listen to it to see what you're hearing. I am thankful that there are people around who use the words "prettiest" and "beautiful" to describe my basslines. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.:oops:

~CH

EDIT: Ah. The tapping parts at the chorus :)