This should be interesting: How many of you use pirated plugs? (ANONYMOUS POLL)

Are you currently using any pirated software?

• Yes

Votes: 100 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 44 30.6%

• Total voters
i normally max out around 12/13 maybe if i wanted to track some pod/DI's/bass or something with drums I could fill them up.....

with the guitar stuff, one of the cabs i bought, one was given to me free, the other one is actually my bassists. krank was second hand, peavey was new (combined it comes to about £1000). my marshall stuff i got a bit cheaper as i have some links as the factory is only down the road from me got that stuff years ago with help from the parento's.....basically all the recording stuff (mics/plugins/mac/onyx etc) has come from student loans and paying for stuff recording bands. also used to make use of my schools facilities when i was there (when i could), and i also did stuff in a 'friends' studio (some rich kid who had no drive to bring in bands himself).

the way i see it is, if you really need stuff like waves plugins you should be able to afford it, or justify affording it - otherwise you don't deserve to have them and don't need them.

and bernhard nailed it - when im at uni im mixing a LOT, when im at home im tracking and mixing which i have been doing for a few years. cant even remember the last time i went on holiday.

Hey, props to you dude! I forgot about student loans, but also the fact that you're able to make decent money from production is admirable! (and of course not surprising from all that I've heard)

This thread doesn't have to turn ugly, there isn't even a reason to debate, simply because:

If you are using pirated software commercially, you HAVE to buy them. It's common fucking sense goddamnit, don't make me swear! haha :)

What you do at home, in privacy, for yourself, non-commercially is neither mine, or anyone else's business, and in my opinion not even the companies' business. I don't see why Waves would give a fuck about someone who is trying their plugins the cracked way in his basement somewhere out in the woods in Canada. As long as he is not making money, he is not in the "game" or industry, thus nothing really changes. As soon as he makes money with that stuff though, he needs to buy the plugs just like a worker needs to pay tax, otherwise it slips into the criminal side of things.

With that said, I have no reason to be anonymous so I can tell you that I voted "Yes, I do use cracked plugins", but currently I'm only writing songs so I'm not really producing anything but when that is done and it's time for producing what I've written, I'm going legit. I have found a replacement for pretty much everything I use with free stuff and I will buy Reaper, but I still haven't solved my guitar tone on that matter. Not sure I'd like to buy Revalver just yet, since I've never succeeded in getting the tone I want from it... but in worst case I always have Wagner etc. and then either Captain Fantastic Metaltastic or GubbKuK can maybe do some reamping so that wouldn't be too big of a deal perhaps... ;)

totally agree with you Gorjira

waves charge so much because they work that stuff out before putting them on sale, they work out how many people will actually buy the product and taylor a price to suit that to cover thier costs, they probably couldnt care less for the most part! i have some good sources for that ;)

totally agree with you Gorjira

waves charge so much because they work that stuff out before putting them on sale, they work out how many people will actually buy the product and taylor a price to suit that to cover thier costs, they probably couldnt care less for the most part! i have some good sources for that ;)

I'd never pay for anything Waves since their plugins don't work in 64 bit Vista with no date on when they will update to a functional version. I don't use anything Waves anymore though.. found a bunch of other stuff I like better

I'll admit to using some pirate stuff atm, although i'm getting rid of them as i find free or cheap replacements. I reckon of the plugs i actually USE, i'm about 10% pirate and dropping

Haha, well unless you wanna start another anonymous poll for that, I don't think many of them would be too willing to fess up here! :D

I will be honest, I use a cracked version of ampeg SVX ocassionally, and I have a cracked version of photoshop on my PC. I do feel bad about it and when the money is sitting in the bank it will be replaced or brought. I do make money from my recordings but not much.

Joe

I wish I could buy Waves Plugins on their own instead of in 'packs' with all this shit I wont use.

The only plugins I need are RComp, REQ, L2 and C4...

Ok so there are actually all good free equivilents of those arent there?

Maybe I should stop being lazy and get them.

I love Synths and Orchestra's but that shit I only use Freeware. I have sf2 and I download random soundfonts throughout the Web.

For Bass I use Helian Bass which is a) fucking awesome and b)freeware

So yar I'm a thieving prick for some waves plugins!

These are stricly for bedroom recordings.

. I don't see why Waves would give a fuck about someone who is trying their plugins the cracked way in his basement somewhere out in the woods in Canada. As long as he is not making money, he is not in the "game" or industry, thus nothing really changes.

seriously...were you directing that at me? hehe :cry:

*Hides in his backwoods Northern Ontario project studio* :p

Currently 100% legit but this is comming from a situation where i was 100% illegal. I made a decision that i was going to pay for all my stuff so i would appreciate it more and learn it better seems to be working so far although i do miss some of the waves plugs like rbass and rcomp. Right now im using the stock plugs in cubase which are pretty ok to and im digging the stillwell stuff

I have actually found pretty good free VST alternatives for many Waves plugins. Any suggestions for the rest?

- C1/Renessaince comp = Bazillion different compressors
- C4 = GVST GMulti (missing one band tho)
- Q10/Renessaince EQ = Electri-Q (posihfopit edition)
- IR-1 = SIR
- L1 = George Wong W1
- DeEsser = ?
- PAZ Analyzer = Voxengo SPAN
- Q-Clone = ?
- Renessaince Vox/Axx = ?
- Renessaince Bass/MaxxBass = ?
- Renessaince Reverb/Trueverb = Ambience / Glaceverb
- Supertap = ?
- Tune LT = GVST Gsnap

Thanks Mate!

i admit it fully and frontal........however this is just a hobby and i don´t make money off of this...
i´ve got other priorites in terms of c@sh, ....if i had enough $$$ i would use legit but i can´t afford it, so i manage with those