This should be required reading

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
http://dyske.com/index.php?view_id=778

Why Americans Don't Like Jazz

By Dyske Suematsu

The current market share of Jazz in America is mere 3 percent. That includes all the great ones like John Coltrane and the terrible ones like Kenny G (OK, this is just my own opinion). There are many organizations and individuals like Wynton Marsalis who are tirelessly trying to revive the genre, but it does not seem to be working. Why is this? Is there some sort of bad chemistry between the American culture and Jazz? As ironic as it may be, I happen to believe so.

One day, I was talking to my wife about the TV commercial for eBay where a chubby lady sings and dances to an appropriated version of “My Way” by Frank Sinatra. The lyrics were entirely re-written, and “my way” was transformed into “eBay”. I told her that they did a good job in adapting the original song. Then she said: “Ah, that’s why I like it so much!” She actually did not realize that it was adapted from Sinatra’s song.

My wife and I have always known how differently we listen to music. I tend to entirely ignore lyrics, while she tends to entirely ignore music. We are the two opposite ends of the spectrum in this sense, and it appears that my wife’s side is more common. Many of my friends think that I have a peculiar, or plain bad, taste for music. Whenever I say I like this song or that song, they look at me like I am crazy. Then they go on to explain why it is bad, and I realize that they are referring to the lyrics, not to the music. I then pay attention to the lyrics for the first time, and realize that they are right. The opposite happens often too where many of my friends love a particular song, and I can’t understand what’s good about it until I pay attention to the lyrics.

The eBay example is an extreme case where my wife could not recognize the original once the lyrics were swapped. To her, if you change the lyrics, it is an entirely different song. It is the other way around for me; in most cases, I would not notice any change in the lyrics. The eBay song was an exception; I only noticed it because it is a famous song used for a TV commercial.

I believe my wife’s way of listening to music is typically American, and my way of listening to music, typically Japanese. If you don’t speak English, any songs written in English are instrumental music. Singers turn into just another musical instrument. These days, no matter where you live, you cannot get away from the dominance of the American music. This means that most non-English speakers grow up listening to a lot of instrumental music. In Japan, I would say, it constitutes about half of what people listen to. When they are listening to Madonna, Michael Jackson, or Britney Spears, they have very little understanding of what their songs are about. In this sense, their ears are trained to listen to and enjoy instrumental music, which explains why Jazz is still so popular in Japan.

To be able to enjoy instrumental music, you must be able to appreciate abstract art, and that requires a certain amount of effort. Just mindlessly drinking wine, for instance, would not make you a wine connoisseur. Mindlessly looking at colors (which we all do every day) would not make you a color expert either. Great art demands much more from the audience than the popular art does.

In this sense, the American ears are getting lazier and lazier. It wasn’t so long ago that most people knew how to play a musical instrument or two. Now the vast majority of Americans couldn’t tell the difference between a saxophone and a trumpet. Thanks partially to music videos, music is now a form of visual art. The American culture is so visually dominant that a piece of music without visuals cannot command full attention of the audience. For Americans, music is a background element, a mere side dish to be served with the main course. If they are forced to listen to a piece of instrumental music without any visuals, they don’t know what to do with their eyes, much like the way a nervous speaker standing in front of a large audience struggles to figure out what to do with his hands. Eventually something visual that has nothing to do with the music grabs their attention and the music is push to the background.

If you have written your own music, you have probably experienced this before: You play it for your friends to get their opinions. For about 10 seconds, everyone is silent. After 20 seconds, their eyes start to wander around. After 30 seconds, someone says something, which triggers everyone else to speak up. After 40 seconds, no one is actually listening to your music. I grew up sitting in front of the stereo with my father, closing our eyes, listening only to what came out of the speakers. This would go on for an hour or two as if we were watching a movie. It wasn’t just me; many of my friends did the same. Who does that anymore? In today’s living rooms, stereos are treated as accessories to television sets.

Visual dominancy isn’t the only problem. The bigger problem is the dominance of our thought. Most Americans do not know what to do with abstraction in general. To be able to fully appreciate abstraction, you must be able to turn off your thought, or at least be able to put your thought into the background. This is not as easy as it might seem. In modern art museums, most people’s minds are dominated by thoughts like: “Even I could do this.” Or, “Why is this in a museum?” Or, “This looks like my bed sheet.” Etc.. They are unable to let the abstraction affect their emotions directly; their experience must be filtered through interpretations. In a way, this is a defense mechanism. It is a way to deal with fears like, “If I admit that I don’t understand this, I’ll look unsophisticated.” This type of fear fills their minds with noise, and they become unable to see, hear, or taste.

This is why songs with lyrics in your own language and paintings with recognizable objects are easier for most people to appreciate. They give their minds something to do. It is like holding a pen in your hand when you are speaking in front of a large audience; you become less nervous because your hands have something to do.

Aesthetically, the paintings of Mark Rothko and those of Monet are quite similar, but the former is utterly unacceptable for many people even though they consider the latter to be a master. The difference is that in Monet’s paintings, you can still see things represented in them: rivers, trees, mountains, houses, and so forth. The audience interprets these objects, and projects their own beautiful memories onto the paintings, which makes the whole process much easier. In Mark Rothko’s paintings, there is nothing they can mentally grab on to. What you see is what you get; there is nothing to interpret. So, the audience is left without a pen to hold on to.

The same happens to instrumental music. If there are no lyrics, that is, if there is nothing for the minds to interpret, projecting of any emotional values becomes rather difficult. As soon as the lyrics speak of love, sex, racism, evil corporations, loneliness, cops, etc., all sorts of emotions swell up. Jazz to most people is like a color on a wall; unless you hung something on it, they don’t even notice it.

This rather unfortunate trend in the American culture seems to be irreversible. The popularity of Rap music seems to be a clear sign of this trend. I can appreciate Rap music for what it is, and I see nothing wrong with it, but it does not promote the full development of musical ears. If the song has any musical substance, it can be played on a piano alone (without a singer or any other instruments), and we would still enjoy it. The lack of musical substance becomes clearly visible if you would take many of today’s popular songs, and play them on a piano alone. Many of them would utilize hardly more than a few keys. Perhaps this trend would promote the appreciation of poetry, but it certainly would not promote the appreciation of music as an abstract form of art.

If we were to reverse this trend, we would need to make a conscious effort in promoting the abstract aspect of music. For instance, play more instrumental music in schools or teach how to play an instrument instead of how to sing. We could go as far as to teach kids in school instrumental music only, because their musical exposure outside of school would be dominated by non-instrumental music anyway. It would be a good way to balance things out.

This problem extends far beyond the American disinterest for Jazz; it is a problem for music in general. The dominance of words and visuals in the American culture has lead people to believe that listening to Rap or watching music videos is the full extent of what music has to offer. If this goes on, they’ll be missing a huge chunk of what life has to offer.

Discuss this in relations to your musical taste. I'm sure most of us fall into the 'music > lyrics' category, but it should be interesting to see how this turns out

I never thought of instrumental music as abstract before, but when I think about it, it probably is. It's just that whenever the term abstract is applied, it is usually to something I cannot understand or appreciate. I guess music is an exception to this, for I can, somehow, tell when music is good, from my perspective, and I can appreciate it.

I've been very good at english since I was young, even though I'm a swede. In fact, my knowledge of english is far beyond that of the average swede, because I have been raised by the internet, and to a lesser extent, television. But I didn't turn my back on the mainstream music that everyone else worships because it was too focused on the lyrics as opposed to the music, but because the lyrics dealt with the same themes all the time, generally.
The first time I heard Iron Maiden, it was on a burned CD with some various songs, probably made by one of my older brothers. One of those songs was Infinite Dreams, which stunned me when I first heard it. I had never heard a song that dealt with themes such as death, and I hadn't heard songs with such a peculiar structure either. Now I know that both of these attributes aren't all that rare, especially in metal. But I didn't back then.

(I know that Iron Maiden isn't the best example, since they are fairly mainstream and their lyrics tend to rely on oft recurring themes such as war, but this single song, Infinite Dreams, is a good example)

Anyway, my point with all this is that my reason for turning my back on mainstream music in favour of underground genres like jazz and metal is not that mainstream music is too lyric-focused, but that it fails to entertain me both musically and lyrically.

I disagree with what the guy says. Lyrical music requires its own kind of patience and effort.

One of my favorite genres of music is folk music: Tom Waits, Gordon Lightfoot, Leonard Cohen, Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Jethro Tull, etc. When it comes to certain artists like Cohen or Lightfoot, the lyrics can sometimes be very obscure and therefore repel certain people from appreciating it. Not all lyrical music is "easier" to listen to, as this guy claims. I believe that reading poetry is often just as tedious and difficult as trying to listen to something like jazz. The lyrics of artists such as the ones I listed are very poetic, and thus require as much effort sometimes to appreciate as jazz music does.

Instrumental music appeals more to the professional musician. Lyrical music appeals more to the professional writer/poet. Both can be equally difficult.

f the song has any musical substance, it can be played on a piano alone (without a singer or any other instruments), and we would still enjoy it.
Fuck you.

Aside from that.

I used to listen to lyrics a lot more, now it's music, but I still find lyrics important. However, music is definitely more important. I agree about the visual thing, when i listen to music for the first time I usually look at the lyric booklet, which will keep me focused on the music while giving my eyes something to do.

I used to that too, reading the lyrics while listening to the album, which keeps you more focused on the music, but now i'm not doing that, i found out a better way to keep me focused.

Meatspin?

I don't like the implication towards the end that music has to be complex to be interesting.

It doesn't have to be, but the way I see it, complexity is purely a positive attribute as long as other elements of the music are not compromised.

Which is why death metal is great, basically no body can understand the lyrics without a lyric sheet, so what you're left with is, as he said, the singer as another instrument.

I appreciate both equally.

Lyrics are important when the music tells a story. Like lets take Bob Dylan for a minute. When I'm listening to him, I will pay attention to the lyrics more than the music. While lets take Iced Earths Night of the Stormrider. I used to pay attention to the lyrics and music equally, because they were both equally as important in my eyes. They also both flow together.

This is probably one of the greatest articles I've read on a forum.

The paragraph where the writer starts with, "In this sense, the American ears are getting lazier and lazier", really hits home. A lot of my friends have no clue what music without MTV videos are.

He is basically saying that instrument driven melodies trump vocal melodies, which is at the heart of metal to a large degree, especially extreme metal. Guitar driven melodies are what make metal metal, which is why it does not have mainstream success.

I've been identifying with the Japanese perspective in reverse while listening to Boris recently. I do not like a whole lot of singing in what I listen to, but since I do not understand what is being sung, I hear it as an instrument rather than a vehicle for a lyrical message. I never got that feeling from extreme metal as the vocals are often equally indecipherable in either English or a foreign language.

nice article. thanks.

I once let this stupid bitch listen to my mp3 player at work and the first thing that came out of her mouth was "where's the singing at"?
then she said, "this isn't really music(giggles)".
I was this close [...] to slapping the shit out of her.

You should of. Even though I find lyrics an important part, and good vocals equaling the guitars, the bass and the drums, that's just stupid.

Also, I tend to find vocals not as big of a deal in more extreme metal. While in any other form of metal, I find them as important as any other instrument. Especially very good clean vocals.

I like it. Most of the points he makes are points I try to make to people I know. Posted it as a myspace bulletin so some of those people can read it.

I disagree with what the guy says. Lyrical music requires its own kind of patience and effort.

Maybe I missed something but I don't think the guy was trying to argue that it doesn't.

Anyway, most lyric-centric music qua music is totally uninteresting to me. It can't really afford to be too interesting musically. That's not to say that I find music that emphasizes vocal work uninteresting. There's a huge difference between, say, Lisa Gerrard's work in Dead Can Dance (interesting musically) and your typical mainstream radio fodder (uninteresting musically), and the difference lies precisely in how the former emphasizes the melodic development and harmonic structuring of vocal work as opposed to the visceral and sentimental impact produced by the interaction between the actual structure of words (and the rhythmic possibilities that result), lyrical content, and (very basic) vocal melodies. For a number of reasons lyric-centric music shuts off the possibility of a certain sort of cognitive engagement with the music that is present in intrumental music and other forms of music that de-emphasize the importance of lyrics. Typical radio fodder utilizes compositional techniques that don't require the sort of cognitive engagement and interpretation that is required to really appreciate more advanced forms of music and is thus more accessible to morons.

I think this guy is a bit of a blowhard but I think he has a point. For me the lyrics are far and away the least important part of any music I like. That's not to say I think they're worthless, indeed I think they can enhance music, but when it comes down to it, it's the music that matters. This becomes complicated because you have to separate vocal melodies from the lyrics. I've noticed I tend to like foreign language pop music more than english pop for this reason.

Also, I don't like jazz at all.

I pay attention to how the lyrics fit into the song. Otherwise I don't care.

No, he uses MTV as an example of how America tends to listen to music. He's a fan of instrumental music, and he feels that lyrics are less important. This isn't true.