This should be required reading

I think he's a bit of an elitist. I know some people who are extremely passionate about music and are lyric based listeners, and I don't think I'd call them lazy.

But he does have some nice insights, I'm an extremely music based listener, rather than lyrics based listener, and I noticed that if someone only listens to lyrics, we have 0 musical common ground, but if they listen to the music I can almost always find at least 1 band (and probably many more) that we both like.

However, I don't agree with his opinion that you can tell how good a song is by simply playing it on the piano. This is sort of a theory elitist perspective, that timbre has no importance, and it's a simple minded one. It's also especially true when it comes to percussion, even though drums are tuned to a specific note, their overtone system is completely different from other instruments. And because our 12 tone scale isn't built with percussion in mind, percussion will sound differently.

If you take a piece of music for the xylophone and play it on the piano, they will sound very different, because the xylophone has a different set of overtones, so the consonance and dissonance will be different. Probably especially noticeable with chords involved.

That's not to mention preferring the sound of the original instrument to a piano. Part of the reason I like metal is the distorted guitar. I think that claim is his most specious. Claiming that only music that is grounded in theory can be enjoyable is very narrowminded.