Thoughts and impressions of Alive Again

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
I would like to get some thoughts on your first impressions of Alive Again. I just picked it up last weekend and I am sorry to say I am not very impressed by it...yet. I suppose that may change, I thought Closing Chronicles was boring as hell the first couple of listens, and then it grew on me. I must say though that Moontower, I, Odyssey, and Unicorn all floored me at first listen. Of course I will give Alive Again many more chances, I love Dan's stuff way to much to write this one off. I think that initially the "over-production" kind of puts me off, and there are not any tracks that grab me at first listen. I know a lot of people like Shadowman, but it kind of reminds me of 80's hard rock lp filler, decent groove, decent chops, but no depth.
I am really not trying to bash the cd, as I said, it's very possible that I may grow to love it. I just want to get some other peoples first impressions.

I only heard the "Shadowman" song and I agree with your opinion. It's got a heavy 80's hard rock feel to it with a modern touch. I have to hear the entire album to develop an opinion.

I am captured by "Eternal" and it doesn't seem like the song will release me anytime soon. :)

Couldn't really check out the rest of the album. :D

Hi..

It's actually a bit refreshing to see someone that doesn't like the new stuff. I am not very surprised because I know there are some
followers of mine which prefers my harder edge and I guess my massive overdose on stuff like WAYSTED (Save your prayers) and GIANT (first two albums) DANGER DANGER (first and the latest) doesn't help to write anything near the "metal-ness" of stuff like ODYSSEY and MOONTOWER. Everyone just have to take the ALIVE AGAIN album for what it is, (I can only speak for my songs, but I guess it's the same for Tom N.) It reflects the stuff that I have been listening to since the release of "I" and it happens to be a lot of 80's hardrock/AOR/softsymph and I can honestly say that I see myself more as a A.O.R.-lover than a metalhead, not saying that I don't like metal..but I just have to face it, I was born fluffy!!!

Being incredibly hard to please myself (I haven't heard more than maybe 5 "newborn" albums that I liked in the latest years, and yes..the new albums from Rush and Marillion sucks) I totally understand the situation. I just hope this won't scare anyone off from buying Alive Again, someone else might really like it!!
Like me....

Dan

I liked Shadowman,but I will have to wait to get the album to check it out
my gf(who is not a metalhead)loves Nightingale because of that rock sound it's got

WHAT A FUCK ! someone who dosent´like "Alive again" !
I´m gonna kick....well, well :) I´m suprised that anyone who likes
E.O.S and stuff like that likes N.G, i don´t get it. To me it´s two different worlds.

It's all about being open-minded. I wholly enjoy Death Metal, Black Metal, Power, Prog, regular Heavy Metal, Thrash, Synth, Industrial, Goth, Elektronika (well, at least some stuff), folk, blues, jazz, classical music, rock'n'roll, stoner (like kyuss), 60's, 70's, etc.

I don't see any problems enjoying both EoS and Nightingale, though I can understand if people find it odd to hear such different kinds of music from the same musician. It's almost as if Beatles would have made a Death Metal album all of a sudden... ;)

Yeah, some songs on the new one like Glory Days and Into The Light betray Dan's AOR obsession :), but are performed with far more emotion, and that keyboard sound that draws me in instantly! And the vocals and solos on this album have to rank among Swano's best.

I am not bashing the cd, or Nightingale in general for that matter. I love EoS stuff, and I love Unicorn and Nightingale stuff as well. I do like both ends of the spectrum. I am only trying to find out other people's first impression of the cd.
As we all know, first impressions can be very misleading. I gave the example of Closing Chronicles previously, which I initially though to be boring, but now feel is a deep and powerful piece of music after repeated listenings. I'm sure everyone has had a similar experience. Sometimes music we don't initially respond to revels itself slowly over time.
Anyways, I can't say I'm surprised that Dan actually responded to this, I know he is always in touch with the fans. I do want him to know that I very much enjoy the "mellower" stuff he has been doing. Unicorn-Emotional Wastland and Nightingale-I are on heavy rotation in my household. Dan is an incredible, emotional, and very inspiring musician (from EoS to PanThyMonium to Nightingale). I really just want to discuss first impressions, and maybe we can share how the cd is growing on us (or not :) ) over time.
Peace.

The new album, Alive Again, is actually growing on me quite nicely. At first I was hoping the album would be more like "Shadowman", and I was a little bit disappointed at first listen to find that "Shadowman" is quite a unique track on the album. However, after a few spins (and many more), I can't seem to get this album out of my thoughts. I love EOS, Bloodbath, Moontower stuff, but on the same token I really enjoy Dan's progressive music. I believe this to be a result of Dan's incredible talent...being able to create amazing music on both sides of the spectrum that a listener such as myself can enjoy. Dan, never stop making the music YOU like! :)

Gee, it's so great that everyone seemingly has "just picked up" the album and now there is a discussion about it. :mad:

How the hell did you "just pick up" the album? I am PISSED. hehe

I thought the teaser Mp3 was awesome and I am expecting this cd to be as good as the previous 3 Nightingales or perhaps even better. I don't allow myself to listen to the teaser anymore though b/c I don't want my brain to start the next section of the teaser in my mind when I hear certain parts of the teaser on the actual album. I noticed that my brian did this with Shadowman which was not cool. After taking along break, I can now listen to Shadowman without my brain interjecting shit from the teaser.

One more time, just to make sure everyone knows how pissed I am: Why the FUCK does everyone have this cd but me??? :lol:

@Metal88

You're not the only one who hasn't has "Alive Again" while being a big fan.
"Let's stand strong, like real man, and wait for it!"
My brother in Metal!
;)

Markus

@Demonspell - I agree with you, even more so now! Hehehe.

@Unicorn - No. I am PISSED. I wish I wasn't, but I am. :lol:

@Mattcira - obviously you're "b" option is ridiculous. The End has a goddamn WEBSITE don't they? Why are they making some special deal for those that live close to progpower? This is a tease, the album has been finished now for 10,000 years or so and I'm waiting two more months?!?!? Meanwhile people are discussing the album, Fuck!