Thoughts and impressions of Alive Again

...And Justice for all was the first cd I ever bought. My favorite Metallica albums are the first three though, of course. I have a soft spot for that old stuff too, afterall that's all there was back in those days! So, it's about nostalgia now. The Rock scene has expanded quite a bit eh? And thankfully so. ;)

I was on my way to buy some beers for the party new years eve, when I stopped to pick up the mail....and what was waiting for me there?! THE NEW NGALE CD!!!!! YEAH! :) :) :)

It`s been in my CD-player ever since. Congrats to Dan, Tom, Eirk and Tom for creating this awesome piece of music. I heard it when Seismic aired it early in December, so I allready knew that it kicked ass, but now as I have my own copy it grows on me like a motherfucker. I`m playing it over and over again, and yesterday my girlfriend said : " Can you please turn it off for some time? I think it is great CD, but we`ve been listening to it since new year eve.." And I was going " Ok, just let my play glory days once more" :lol:

For me, this IS the best Ngale-Cd ever, the production of the three other albums are nowhere near this one. I think the only weak track on Alive Again is "the one", which I find boring... The rest are all monster-tracks, with "the glory days", "falling", "state of shock", "shadowland serenade" and - of course - "eternal" as my favourite tracks. "Shadowman" is also a great song, but I`ve been listening to it 33 239 times since I downloaded it :lol:

Thanx for making this album, you guys are most talented.

------------------------

To the forumists who say Metallica suck, I have to say SHUT THE FUCK UP! Metallica kicks ass, and their new album will be a hõydare. I agree with the ones who say "state of shock" sounds like "load", at least the verse do. I can`t imagine Jamz singing the chorus, it is to melodic. Still, "state of shock" is one of the best tracks of Alive Again.

What's a Hoydare??? :confused:

Congrats on getting the cd,where did you get it from? After reading your post, if members who cant' get it like rjii2000 weren't pissed before, now they're REALLY gonna be pissed. Hehe.

At first I thought that "The One" was quite boring, but after overdosing on the rest of the album, I went back to find that track to be a real treat... Dan's voice really shines on this track... its a very peaceful song and it sets up the album for the final two tracks which are the best 10 minutes (0r so) of Nightingale ever....

What's a Hoydare???

A monster-album :headbang:

Congrats on getting the cd,where did you get it from?

Andreas [the end records] and Rhavin [seismic] choosed me as an "extra winner" on the chat in december, just for being a true fan. I stayed up `till 02:30 and had exam 08:00 the day after, so I feel like I deserve it :D

At first I thought that "The One" was quite boring, but after overdosing on the rest of the album, I went back to find that track to be a real treat... Dan's voice really shines on this track... its a very peaceful song and it sets up the album for the final two tracks which are the best 10 minutes (0r so) of Nightingale ever....

Matt, I agree with the vocals. They are maybe the best of the entire CD. I still think the song is boring though...

Opinions, opinions and the album is not even released yet, great;) I have heard all of "Metallicas" albums ( even played some songs in various projects, sorry, but it still sucks !
"The one" is an interesting track because it´s so soft. I agree about Dan´s vocals: it rocks ! ( softs ? ) I think it´s his best performance on any of my tracks ever, with my parts of "Eternal" as a close second. Both parts really soft:confused: Look out for "Second sky"

Well, I started this thread a while back because AA didn't really impress me after the first couple listens. I promised to give it more time and........it finally happened yesterday. I put the cd on in my walkman on the train and the first three songs blew me away! They just grabbed me. The rest of the cd is slowly growing on me as well. I find this happens every once and a while that a cd needs repeated listenings in order to "get it".

PS Does anyone notice a little Kansas infuence in a couple of the songs (not sure of the titles, I think tracks 6 and 7). This is not a bad thing, Kansas used to be one of my favorites, I still listen to them every once and a while.

There you are ! It´s great with growers. Some of my fav. albums
sucked the first time i heard them. You´re right about Kansas: I like them very much. They were my big heroes 20 years ago and Dan had no other choice than to like them :D Some part of "Eternal" is very "Kansas"

Dag is right, my favorite albums sucked the first time I heard them, particularly Opeth's "Morningrise" and Devin Townsend's "Terria" I actually told someone that Terria was "just typical un-creative rock" -- what a fool eh?

I think some parts of Eternal are newer Dream Theater-ish. The "scenes from a memory" album popped in my head. For an odd comparison, I thought of Megadeth's "Have cool will travel" the first time I heard the opening section of "Into the Light" <shrug>

[brag]First European who wasn't involved on the album to comment.[/brag]

Ok, got through my first spin of the CD, and it sounds damn good. Nothing really stuck in my head, besides some melodies I heard on the teaser, as I expected. A thing I've noticed about Nightingale albums is that they sound better the more I listen to them, and it takes a few days for the songs to sink in. I can say it has very addictive parts already, and I just put it on a second spin. Great work guys. ;)

I won this from the Dan Swanö chat btw. And yeah, I also find it weird half of the forum seems to own a copy already. :p

So i managed to find a copy of alive again. To the bands dismay i found a used copy, so someone out there should die. So happily i walked away with a copy of alive again for around 7 bucks. (thats not the full story but u dont' care about that).

Anyways initially, i don't know. I wasn't big on it after the glory days. I've had the cd in my car now for about a good few days, listening to it non stop and i like it alot. My only complaint is state of shock. To me it doesn't fit. but thats my opinion i could be wrong. Glory days and shadowland serenade are amongst the coolest mr. swano had done.

A word to dan. I honestly don't compare nightingale to eos they are to seperate entities, and while eos has its moments, to me nightingale is timeless. I could put on any one of the albums and not be bored. Initially i bought the closing chronicles and thought it was one of the most boring albums i had ever purchased. The draw to it was the fact that ur name was on it. So i bought it a few months down the road i could not stop listening to it. To me this is a mark of truly great music, music that has to grow on u. I think people like the closing chronicles because of its darker side and structure of the songs, rather then heaviness. Thats what drew me in. I know u aren't writing these albums for the fans, but i guess most people want to see that closing chronicles kind of feel. Thats just my opinion i could be wrong.

Actually i think some eos stuff is timeless. Who can beat crimson in its shear length diversity and originality? ( i hear a lot of guys saying 'opeth' under their breath).

Thx for the music dan, it has helped me through the good and the bad and i really appreciate that. Someday i wish to shake ur hand.

Request_denieD

(thats not the full story but u dont' care about that).

You STOLE the cd from someone at gunpoint, then felt bad and gave them seven dollars. We get you. :)

I actually DO wanna hear the rest of this story. Used bin??? Come on, I don't believe that for a single second.

K fine if u really want to know i was shopping for cds with my girlfriend who was looking for new music. i was looking at one section when she approached me and asked me if nightingales breathing shadow part 4 was any good. I looked at her and said u are kidding right. Well she wasn't when she pointed it out to me. I told her it was mine, but i would buy her a cd in exchange for it. Well it turned out it had to be 2 cds, so Mr. Swano if u are reading i bought my girlfriend 2 cds in place of the used nightingale disk, thats how much i love ur stuff and wanted the new album.

Damn u people are nosey fuckers...

Request_denieD