Thoughts on the new Emperor?

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
I just got Prometheus in the mail yesterday and listened to it on the way to work today for the first time. My first impression-
HOLY SHIT!!!!:OMG:

And I can tell that this is a cd that will get even better with repeated listens!
Any other impressions??

well, the first time i heard trough it, i sat with this ipression: what the hell was all this?!
'cuz it was alot of diferent stuff, and fast...
i could not really remember anything special from it...
but now that i have listend to it alot of times(got it 3 weeks ago) it is a really great album!
Ihshan has done a really good jobb on this one... to bad it is theyr last...

It's great!!! I think it may deserve album of the year. It gets better with every listen, and has already beaten all the other Emperor albums for me. I can't believe how complex some of the songs are, there is so much going on. It's definitely the most twisted and progressive black metal I have ever heard, kinda like a way more extreme Opeth album. And Isahn's clean vocals rule on here!!!! Dare I say better than Mikael??:eek:

Definitely one of the few true highlights of the year. Ihsahn has been criticized for making an album way too complex and daring, but in my opinion the showcasing of such technical proficiency is just an element that keeps me even more interested. I thought of "IX Equilibrium" as being something of a letdown, with "Warriors of modern death" being rather stupid for the band to do - I really would not have wanted to hear a Bathory song on an Emperor album! Time will tell whether or not "Prometheus" shall reach the revered status of "Anthems to the welkin at dusk", but what can be said straight away is that this is indeed impressive; a truly stellar album.

--

N/P: Pink Floyd - Animals

Yes, I don't think they could have went out any better. Though the sound of the album makes it seem impossible they are finished.....When it ends, I can't help but think that they must be going to release a 2nd Prometheus disc that finishes.....It just sounds so unconcluded. Or maybe I just want to hear more.....

I downloaded an MP3 of 'In the Wordless Chamber' and it sounds pretty damn good. I'll probably pick up a copy of the album when I'm over in Toronto in a few weeks time, where CD prices are a little cheaper (that's even taking into account the exchange rate). In fact I think the bulk of my traveller's checks are going to be spent on building up my fairly sad (at present) collection of metal CD's. See what happens when you don't realise what good music is until you're 18? ;) Oh well, money well spent, that's for sure. :)

Money well spent yes indeed.
Prometheus is a complex and very instrumental album.
The song Empty is pretty much a combination of the sound of the album IX Equilibrium and the structure of the The Loss And Curse Of Reverence. Anyone noticed that? I think Ihsahn based Empty on that same song.
The album rules, it grows on me everything i put it on.

NP: Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery

Actually Ishahn wrote all of the music for this album, and sent his demo's to Samoth and Trym who were working on Zyklon at the time.
This album is amazing, best album of the year, one of the best black metal albums, if not the best black metal album ever. BUt it is really hard to call this album black metal, because it is so much more than that. Anyone else notice a major Dream Theater influence in some of the songs, for example about 3 minutes into Tongue of Fire.

Yes, its a little like Ix Equilibrium, a little like Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk, with some new elements. Favorite part of the cd so far: In The Wordless Chamber around 2:55 with all violins and the harp. That part is just fucking awesome! I don't care what people say about Ix, I'm definately going to have to buy it to get the full impact of Emperor's transition. And then Wrath Of The Tyrants.

NP: Emperor - Prometheus - The Discipline of Fire and Demise - 02 - Depraved

Same here transfixed, I just got 6 also, and included was Orchid (my last one...) Emperor-Prometheus, Divina Enema- At the Conclave (I will tell you about these guys later :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ) and a few others. It's hard to get into all of them, oh well, I surely am happy.

hehe this happens to me all the time.
i buy a bunch of cds and then my mind gets screwed up from listening to several cds at once and not focusing on 1 like i should.
i'm going to try not to buy any more for a while to allow these new ones to set in, but it's hard :)
i've got a massive 'to get' list...

Yes, the new Emperor really is an incredible album. The video clip of Empty is amazing too.

While I'm here I have a question for U.S members of the forum.

How much are c.ds usually over there? I rember they were very differently priced than here in Australia, and I'm wondering if that's still the case.