What is your favorite and least favorite Emperor albums?

Prometheus > Nightside Eclipse > Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk > IX Equilibrium

They are all excellent and important in their own way. Though I think Prometheus pushed composition and performance to a new level in my eyes.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
What does this thread have anything to do with Cradle or Dimmu? lol :rolleyes:

I'm making a simple comparison. If Emperor were only to release IX Equilibrium and not the previous two, it would still be considered a great symphonic black metal album in comparison to outputs by similar bands, namely Cradle and Dimmu.

Zephyrus said:
I'm making a simple comparison. If Emperor were only to release IX Equilibrium and not the previous two, it would still be considered a great symphonic black metal album in comparison to outputs by similar bands, namely Cradle and Dimmu.
OK... I disagree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion. I think IX is highly underrated myself.

Zephyrus said:

Their should be no comparison to Cradle or Dimmu as those two bands are not BM anymore and their albums are overproduced and very commercial sounding (though I like Dimmu regardless but only as a metal band and not a BM band as they aren't anymore) ... Emperor IMO is in a class unto themselves.. :kickass:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Their should be no comparison to Cradle or Dimmu as those two bands are not BM anymore and their albums are overproduced and very commercial sounding (though I like Dimmu regardless but only as a metal band and not a BM band as they aren't anymore) ... Emperor IMO is in a class unto themselves.. :kickass:
I agree with that. I was talking about past Dimmu and Cradle releases.

bluewizard said:
I haven't got Scattered Ashges but that song Aerie Descent kicks ass, that's one of my favorites if not my favorite Emperor song. Is that song a cover or what? I just heard it on Sirius radio a few times like on Roots Bloody Roots when Ihsahn was being interviewed.
ærie descent is a THORNS cover

the original is 3489294 x better than the cover

I was listening to Anthems tonight... and it really is a good soundtrack to John Milton's Paradise Lost... but then again the illustrations on the album cover is from that book... for those interested in the illustrations below is a good book on all 50 illustrations (you can look at a sample few if you "look inside") tell me what you think of them:

http://www.amazon.com/Dores-Illustr...94/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/002-4905891-5386434

Since I made this thread I've gotten Anthems and Vol. 1 of Scattered Ashes with my Emperor tablature book and In The Nightside Eclipse remains my favorite Emperor album.