I listened to Emperor and Novembre and nothing...

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Boy you are certainly dumb. 1 song from prometheus is probably more elaborated and complicated that the entire career's of those bands put togheter.

A bit of an exaggeration, but close to the truth. Dark Funeral is one of the more generic sounding bands. Cradle of Filth often relies on rather trendy styles, which implies much repetition and not much technicality. Dimmu Borgir is an okay band, but there isn't anything spectacular about them.

Emperor, as you may have heard, are one of the most looked up to bands in black metal; possibly the most respected one. Before I had heard Prometheus, Anthems was my favorite album by them, and it is definitely a behemoth. Just for the record, Alsvartr (The Oath) is one of my favorite songson the CD. I think it is very underrated, simply because it has an introish feel to it. I think that is mainly because it builds up and the climax isn't very long. Prometheus had stolen my heart by maybe the fourth listen. It is simply amazing. I can't understand how you don't hear the complexity, the sheer brilliance, see the imagery, and yes, even feel the emotion. And if you had the album you would find that it is also a concept album! How much better does it get? As I have stated before, this is one of the very few albums that I consider equal to Opeth, maybe even the only album. The only other one that comes close Borknagar - Empiricism. Definitely give Prometheus another chance.

Originally posted by saturnix
in dimmu's defense, their new CD is a massive step in the right direction.

Definitely.

I think that people who generally don't like Dimmu usually aren't familiar with their latest album (some of you are, of course :) ) which is a substantial jump in just about every catergory. It blew me away!

Rosa-
These are just my impressions... Your FIRST impressions. Right? :)

opethpainter-
you can download the 2 first album COMPLETELY FREE!!! I wouldn't have suggested that myself only because the first two are... well, I'd rather put it this way. The last two IMO are better.

requiem-
With 'Novembrine Waltz', Novembre have elevated themselves to sit with Katatonia and Anathema as my favorite bands. That album would have to be one of the most emotionally crushing I've heard. It's beauty and sadness is so evident you can taste it... YEAH! That's what I like to hear. :D I'm favoring Classica more, but NW is what got me hooked to begin with. This morning, I had to turn it off. I had some heavy things on my mind, and it's beauty almost set off the waterworks.
beleidigt.gif

bleed for me-
...as for novembre, "nostalgiaplatz" doesn''t represent novembre's style at all...you have to check out Classica and Novembrine Waltz to get a good feel of them. Two things. First, IMO Nostalgiaplatz represents well. Very well. Secondly, it IS a song off Classica. The "good feel" should have been felt.

Originally posted by requiem

Definitely.

I think that people who generally don't like Dimmu usually aren't familiar with their latest album (some of you are, of course :) ) which is a substantial jump in just about every catergory. It blew me away!

I agree - the new(ish) Dimmu Borgir is an impressive piece of work and sees the band back on track, IMO. Not at all like the previous album.

Well I'm not much for Black Metal, but hearing 2 songs from Prometheus totally blew my mind... I'm planning on buying the album and compulsively having it playing 24/7 until I suck every little bit of its brilliance into my cranium.

Prometheus indeed is a piece of art, made by a mastermind brainiac. ;) Although it first seemed that Prometheus is not an easy record to swallow and moments that sounded good in my ear were veeery rare, I immediately noticed that there's something unusual behind this wall of noise. Slowly I began to swallow various bits and pieces from here and there until I noticed that the whole damn album is happily lying in my stomach. ;o) Retrospectively I can say that Prometheus is the best album released in 2001, beating even BWP.

Try Depraved. That's the one I loved first.