Thrash album amp recommendations

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I am recording a thrash album in a couple of weeks.
Anyone have suggestions for guitars. The band tune to standard and are along the lines of Slayer/Violence. Here is what we have.

The band has 2x Musicman Petruccis, ENGL Powerballs, ENGL standard cabs.
The studio has Gibson LP Standard, PRS Custom24, 6505, MesaTR, H&K Triamp2, Marshall DSL100, Marshall 8100 (As was used by Chuck Shuldiner), Orange 4x12, Marshall 1960av, ENGL pro cab, TS808, DS1, DS2, OD3, SD1.

It will take us a long time to try everything so where should we start?
The band are very tight so we will quad track. Should we track one player 2 tracks left and the other right or one player full left/right and the other 9o'clock/3o'clock.

My thinking is to use the DSL with marshall cab to get the authentic thrash sound then modernize it with either the 6505 or triple rec for the other pair of tracks.

Any other things I need to look at.
Thanks
Michael

yeah, I'd say DSL, 6505 or Recto (the gathering) with 1960 cab.....
I wouldn't quadtrack for that style of music though.
I don't think you even have to try the powerballs (not only because I generally hate them, but because IF they're usable in any metalrecording it's certainly not Thrash).
I don't know the triamp very good though, might be cool, too...try it.
you're gonna try them all anyway, that's half the fun, isn't it :)

i guess the 5150/6505 should be your best bet actually....i love it for that style :)
the triple rec is nice for thrash (as lasse said, the gathering), but if you're shooting for a more old school sound (slayer violence etc) i think the mid bark of the 5150 should fit better.
you could also try the dsl and see which one you like better.

+1 on the double tracking btw :)

as far as guitars go, choose whatever guitar the players find most comfortable to play. no sense using the les paul if they can't play their riffs as tight because they aren't used to the body shape. but i would still try that out and the prs to see if they can make the switch to play on those easily.

Yeah, you can get a nice Modern Thrash tone from the 6505 (see Kreator), but I'd try the DSL with a boost through the Marshall cab. Guitars wise I think I'd plump for the Gibson, probably the most vintage out of the lot. I'm not sure about quad tracking, but if you do, I'd go for 2 tracks Marshall and 2 6505.

hell, if the studio is big enough, i'd run the dsl into the marshal cab, and the 6505 into the engl pro or orange, recording 2 amps in one take. less likely you would need to reamp, you could blend amp tones on the fly in the control room, and i'll bet it would really impress the clients!

ps, don't forget to get a clean DI signal!

edit: forgot you said you plan on quad tracking, so running two amps together might be overkill. in that case i would use the same cab mic'd in the same position and switch heads for the layered takes.

the dsl is imho quite good for thrash stuff:

if you go for an old school sound stick to the marshalls I'd say. for a modern approach recifier/6505 would be nice. I wouldn't try to "modernize" a marshall sound with an other amp. either you want old school sound or not

Last edited by a moderator:
It will take us a long time to try everything so where should we start?
The band are very tight so we will quad track. Should we track one player 2 tracks left and the other right or one player full left/right and the other 9o'clock/3o'clock.

Since you're going for oldschool type of sound and you do want to quadtrack it, you should do one guitarrist all left, the other all right, so it mantains that dual-tracked old school feel that differentiates the two sides as two indepent guitarrists (probably a different guitar for each guitarrist would be cool too). Just my thoughts

I think mesa or 5150 with 1960 cab is a killer setup for thrash.
For my last work I used a 1960 but unfortunatelly I had only a powerball, a Brunetti and my savage. Definitelly a Powerball is not a thrash amp.