Thrash!

Thanks TB I will add all of those.

And thanks for the props. I'll continue working hard at it in my limited spare time.

Also, if anyone runs across a dead link "Deleted Video" or "Private Video" please let me know and I will fix it ASAP. It's easy since I also keep a text version of the lists.

Going waaay back to the beginning now. Starting from 1981, then working up to 1992, and then every year will be complete.

1981 thrash?

Holy Moses

...and that's pretty much it. This one has some thrash elements, but it's more like heavy metal:

Metal Church

Last edited by a moderator:
no bathory s/t for 1984?

example:

i know it's raspy but it's at least as thrashy as some stuff on the list. it's not BM enough to be classed as black metal and it's a real stretch to class it with NWOBHM or something.

i'd also argue that excluding venom is kind of ridiculous although i know a lot of people do it. i mean, this from '82 is totally thrash:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm comfortable with calling Venom black/speed metal and early Bathory black/thrash. Hardly any first wave black metal is what I'd classify as pure black metal since the lines of what defines black, death, and thrash were often blurred.

Witching Hour's main riff is about as much thrash as anything from Kill Em All. Same goes for Rip Ride. Definitely a step or two away from Motorhead.

Yeah. Show me a Motorhead song that sounds like either of the two, Live Like An Angel..., Black Metal, etc.

Added Bathory and Blizzard to the list, the Venom is pretty iffy. I don't hear as many thrash elements as I'd like there. I'd say Motorhead - Overkill is about as close to thrash as that Venom track.

Yeah, Motorhead sounds just as close to thrash, if not closer than Venom ..... that being said, they're both old school speed metal bands and are not thrash metal. That is pretty clear unless your ears are broken and you cant tell the difference between an early speed metal riff and a thrash riff.

I can tolerate some of Bathorys earlier material being called thrash, but that's about it.

Don't know what you guys are on. Overkill doesn't have nearly the chug/crunch of the Venom song he posted above.

Yeah the Venom song is darker in the guitar part, but as far as vocals/drums they're about on par. The drum beat is just a step slow for thrash and it's lacking the aggression you hear in thrash bands. It feels like a darker version of NWOBHM. I wouldn't hear that and think of thrash. Doesn't have that mosh/punk aspect.