Thrash!

In one way this is not the most appropriate thread for this, but in another it is.

Anyone like Whiplash - Cult of One? I put it in today and really enjoyed it. It's more like hard rock/metal, but done by a real metal band. Good tunes for the most part. Somewhere in the neighborhood of Alice in Chains and (maybe) later CoC, but really not a clone or cheap imitation of anything.

You should just listen to Darkness Descends until you think it's at least as good as We Have Arrived. That's the only reasonable thing you can do. There are only a handful of thrash albums better than Darkness Descends, and none of them are by Dark Angel.

You should just listen to Darkness Descends until you think it's at least as good as We Have Arrived. That's the only reasonable thing you can do. There are only a handful of thrash albums better than Darkness Descends, and none of them are by Dark Angel.

I agree completely. I'm at a loss at how someone can like We Have Arrived, but not like Darkness Descends...it doesn't make since. DD is one of the most aggressive, intense pieces of thrash ever created. I dunno...seems odd, I guess.

kicks ass was a bit of an exaggeration actually, it has some quality moments but it's not that great as a whole.

i never found darkness descends that intense. fast and relentless, yes, but that's not the same thing in my book. it's been a while though so i guess i'll give it another shot tonight. might do the same with pleasure to kill while i'm at it. it's odd that i never got into these 'cause practically all the people i trust most like them.

turns out i'm starting to get it. the production was always an obstacle for me but that seems a lot more inviting than i remember. i always recognised how fluid the transitions are, but i'm actually feeling the overall tension and release a lot more, maybe this is p intense after all :|

still can't see myself ever rating it up there with slayer, sepultura, bonded by blood, early destruction, holy terror etc mind you, but ynever know.

Most of what you mentioned are among the very few elite albums that I would place above Darkness Descends.

I was a regular at a couple of message boards back in the day with the original vocalist/guitarist who put out a demo under the AoB name which was a one-man effort, and the drummer who ended up sort of leading the band. The one-man effort was much more bay-area, and pretty cool. But I also like the more Germanic style they adopted as a band.