Thrash's conversion to the 90s...

jamesr7790

Sep 2, 2011
Houston, TX
So after reading this board for a little while and with the new Anthrax album coming out and how it's sparking the whole John vs. Joey thing again, it got me thinking about how all these 80s thrash bands converted into the 90s in their own way. Some stuck to their basic formula, some changed drastically, some changed only a little. I'm only gonna list bands that I'm most familiar with, but feel free to add and discuss others......

Sepultura- by the time Roots came around, they were pretty much full-on nu metal. Some would say that about Chaos AD, but I think that was their last good album before it really all went to shit. Can't say I've listened to anything newer from them except for Cavalera Conspiracy stuff. Favorite album - Arise.

Kreator- Renewal is when it started to get bad. With the exception of a few songs, I'd say it stayed that way throughout the 90s with Endorama being the lowest point. They've more than made up for it with the past 3 albums, since thrash has picked back up in the last 10 years or so. Favorite album - Coma of Souls.

Anthrax- They done fucked up with that Bush fella, nuff said. Favorite album - Among the Living.

Megadeth- IMO, Rust in Peace was the last good album for a really long time. Countdown to Extinction isn't bad, I'm just for the most part not into the hard rock stuff. Endgame brought back the Megadeth I'm familiar with. Favorite album - Rust in Peace.

Slayer- I think they started to get a little stale with Divine Intervention, with some questionable parts on subsequent albums, but nothing too terrible. I think the last 2 albums have been great with Lombardo back, especially World Painted Blood. Favorite album - Seasons in the Abyss.

Overkill- I haven't listened to all of their albums (they have a shitload), but it seems they have more or less stuck to their formula with the exception of adding certain modern elements to their sound. Horrorscope was probably the last of their classic albums. Some of the later stuff from the last decade that I've heard almost sound like shitty modern metalcore.... but then Ironbound came out and it was amazing. Favorite album - Horrorscope.

So after reading this board for a little while and with the new Anthrax album coming out and how it's sparking the whole John vs. Joey thing again, it got me thinking about how all these 80s thrash bands converted into the 90s in their own way. Some stuck to their basic formula, some changed drastically, some changed only a little. I'm only gonna list bands that I'm most familiar with, but feel free to add and discuss others......

Sepultura- by the time Roots came around, they were pretty much full-on nu metal. Some would say that about Chaos AD, but I think that was their last good album before it really all went to shit. Can't say I've listened to anything newer from them except for Cavalera Conspiracy stuff. Favorite album - Arise.

Kreator- Renewal is when it started to get bad. With the exception of a few songs, I'd say it stayed that way throughout the 90s with Endorama being the lowest point. They've more than made up for it with the past 3 albums, since thrash has picked back up in the last 10 years or so. Favorite album - Coma of Souls.

Anthrax- They done fucked up with that Bush fella, nuff said. Favorite album - Among the Living.

Megadeth- IMO, Rust in Peace was the last good album for a really long time. Countdown to Extinction isn't bad, I'm just for the most part not into the hard rock stuff. Endgame brought back the Megadeth I'm familiar with. Favorite album - Rust in Peace.

Slayer- I think they started to get a little stale with Divine Intervention, with some questionable parts on subsequent albums, but nothing too terrible. I think the last 2 albums have been great with Lombardo back, especially World Painted Blood. Favorite album - Seasons in the Abyss.

Overkill- I haven't listened to all of their albums (they have a shitload), but it seems they have more or less stuck to their formula with the exception of adding certain modern elements to their sound. Horrorscope was probably the last of their classic albums. Some of the later stuff from the last decade that I've heard almost sound like shitty modern metalcore.... but then Ironbound came out and it was amazing. Favorite album - Horrorscope.

Exodus - Changed the sound from Thrash on 'Force Of Habit. o_O

I would agree with you pretty much across the board.

Kreator-Really stopped listening to them during that "hardcore" phase they went through but their last albums have been solid.

Slayer-Loved them then, love them now. Diabolus in Musica was meh but every other album was solid and a few were great.

Sepultura-Agree completely.

Megadeth--Agree completely.

Anthrax-my opinion on Anthrax during the Bush era is well documented here. Absolute crap. Glad the real Anthrax is starting to make a comeback.

I suppose there really wasn't "thrash metal scene" during 90's...all of those bands were kinda struggling - some changed more some less...but don't blame grunge or media - blame yourself - and your friends - if you didn't buy their albums and go to their concerts...:)

T:)

With Megadeth I agree Rust In Peace was the best for a long time, next best are The World Needs A Hero

Are you serious? Wow, I can't really listen to The World Needs a Hero.

I like Countdown, hell I even like Youthanasia, even though they are more radio and arena orientated.

I never thought Force of Habit was all that horrible. The vocals are bad. But the music on many of the songs are still really heavy and havethe signature Exodus thrash sound. The guitar sound is great. But the rest isn't too good.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Megadeth I agree Rust In Peace was the best for a long time, next best are The World Needs A Hero and Endgame. United Abominations was alright.

I think they started getting back on their game with a few songs on black mail the universe. I liked UA more than end game. But they had a long gap of not so great stuff.

I like Force Of habit a LOT...a lot more than Impact Is Imminent for example. FOH had many great long songs, good riffing and great solos...and I've always liked Zetro.

As for megadeth I have found them extremely over processed and boring. If you are a guitar nerd and like listening to studio musicians play solos and technical riffing I get it. Watching their latest guitarist chris brodrick is like watching a chick or some 80's glam pussy on stage. He is obviously a great technical guitar player. But I can do without his lame headbanging, moving his hair from left to right. He is just a sissy studio musician. I don't really get off on watching some ripping guitar player that looks like preppy lesbian

I guess Megadeth is just very boring, no edge, and lacks the 'cool' factor imo. Peace Sells was honestly the last album by them that I really liked. RIP was even a bit too produced and clean.

Testament, Slayer, Exodus have always done a lot more for me than Megadeth

I suppose there really wasn't "thrash metal scene" during 90's...all of those bands were kinda struggling - some changed more some less...but don't blame grunge or media - blame yourself - and your friends - if you didn't buy their albums and go to their concerts...:)

You heard him, everybody blame him.

More like "Bonded By Blood" is the only good Exodus album. Testament's first album is also their only good one.

Definitely joke/troll post.

Testament definitely went for a more accessible sound on The Ritual, not sure where the went from there though. The New Order is my favorite out of the ones I've heard.

I like Testament, but I think they are extremely over-rated. They don't really belong in the same tier as Anthrax, Exodus, Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth

Definitely joke/troll post.

No. I meant that. Exodus were still good at writing riffs post-first album, but their song writing became convoluted and bogged down. Baloff was the only vocalist I'll accept singing for them. Their current vocalist is far worse than Zetro ever could've been.

Testament had a few good cuts on "New Order" but it's not a good album overall. After that they limped along playing mid-tempo, Metallica wanna-be style thrash ala "Justice" for most of their existence. However, everyone tells me that their attempt at making a death metal record (the one with James Murphy on lead) was pretty good. I still need to hear that one.

I like Testament too but overall I think they sound too much like old Metallica. It's the vocal style if nothing else. I think they could've done more to differentiate themselves at the time, which is what Anthrax did so well. I have to say though, Disciples of the Watch is the fuckin' jam.

If you don't like Testament's Demonic and Gathering albums you haven't done your home work properly...I liked their reunion album too...:)