Thunderstone Recomendation?

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
Alright, I got the samples from the website, and am now listening to Tool of the Devil, and I am fucking amazed by how awesome these guys are.. and also a little shocked about how much like Masterplan and Brainstorm had a metal child... called Thunderstone

So, as I am a fan of both bands mentioned and am definitely a power leaning metal head, can someone make a recomendation on what album I should be picking up from these guys?

I think they have a new fan.

I never realised that they sound like Masterplan, I guess they do somewhat(or is it vice versa?). Their albums are all good(not as good as Masterplan's) and very close in terms of quality.

I've only had their second album. While it's good, there's something about the songs which make me only listen to it every now and then. I'll have to check out their newest one (cause I love the soundclip from it)

I would start with their second album, The Burning. :worship: That was my introduction to them and my favorite by them so far. It's got some great songs including "Until We Touch the Burning Sun," "Break the Emotion," "Tin Star Man," "Spire" and "Sea of Sorrow." If you spend a little extra and get the limited edition digi you get 6 bonus tracks. 3 are demos from some of the better songs on the first album. I actually like the demo of "Voice in A Dream" better than the final version. The other 3 are some cool covers of Manowar's "Heart of Steel," Metallica's "Welcome Home (Sanatarium)" and "Diamond And Rust" (which sounds way differant than the Judas Priest version).

Then I'd get Tools of Destruction since you already know and like "Tool of the Devil". That songs good but I actually like "Without Wings," "I Will Come Again," "Welcome to the Real" and "Another Time" better.:headbang:

Anyone who's a fan of Timo Kotipelto's solo albums may also want to bring them to get signed by the drummer, Mirka Rantanen.

They remind me a lot of Masterplan, but are probably a stepo below them in overall quality. I actually like the last two Thunderstorm discs better than Aeronautics, but I like the Masterplan's debut the best of all.

Britt

I'm going to recommend starting with The Burning too, which has turned out to be my favorite of the three. I like the self-titled one a lot, but that's what caused the whole "Stratovarius-clone" thing (in part because Timo Tolkki played on a few tracks), but with the second one they really started to stand out on their own. Tool of the Devil hasn't reeeally grown on me as much yet.

It's cool to see everyone trying to jump on the Thunderstone bandwagon...at least, those of you who weren't already there.

You bet...start with The Burning (2nd album), then Tools (3rd and most recent) and then finish with the debut.

My introduction to Thunderstone began with a review for The Burning on www.metal-rules.com (love their monthly album reviews). At the time, I was bemoaning the fact that there would not a new Masterplan album in 2004 (and their debut album was firmly entrenched as my 2003 pick for album of the year). When I found some samples, I was blown away, and I immediately thought of them as a suitable replacement for that type of Masterplan debut material that I was looking for (and couldn't get enough of).

To this day, I still have not picked up their debut album. After reading some reviews and hearing some samples, I was convinced that they were a total Strato-clone, which they obviously outgrew for The Burning. Now, I figure...being the fan-boy that I've become...I should get that 1st album.

Anyway, Tools came out and completely established them, in my opinion, as their own band with their own unique style and sound.

Some might think that they're just another stereotypical power metal band with a dumb name, but I think that their writing, arrangements, and a little bit of "groove & punch" help them rise above the "fast-and-furious-double-bass-swords-and-sorcery-slay-the-dragon-steal-the-crystal-battle-the-trolls-broken-english-dog-wail-vocals-arpeggio-ripping" cookie-cutter power metal genre that has been so improperly abused over the years.

These guys were a top pick for my group when we submitted sponsorship requests...and we're happy as hell we're contributing for their cause. From all I've read, they seem to have a great reputation as individual people, and I know that they can musically kick ass. I predict that they will be one hell of a lot of fun!

Wow...that was info overload...sorry.

Rock on!

Well... they only have 3 albums so far, and you know you're going to get all 3 by the time ProgPower rolls around anyway, so just bite the bullet and get them all now, damn it! :)

DarkTide said:
They remind me a lot of Masterplan, but are probably a stepo below them in overall quality. I actually like the last two Thunderstorm discs better than Aeronautics, but I like the Masterplan's debut the best of all.

Britt

LIAR! AERONAUTICS IS THE BEST ALBUM EVER :yell::yell: